• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Too popular...?

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's simple really. Don't talk computers in real life! D:

lols, that just makes me think of the rules of Fightclub :p

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
What are you talking about? There is more crazy random BS than there ever was when I first joined. I don't understand the appeal of it really though. About the only thing we're even really trying to crack down on right now is the people who want to post pointless one word posts, spam smilies, and all the dating junk; this isn't eHarmony. It is still really simple to get into all the general nonsense. All you have to do is scroll down a little. You have to remember the primary focus of this forum is computer technology, not general nonsense. It isn't even close to the focus of the forum.

There was a time when general nonsense was more general tech nonsense with a little political and philosophical thread interjected on occasion, and a lot less like a place for bored people to go talk about how they farted, got drunk, and had problems with there girlfriend.

There are plenty of social networking sites to goof around on if you want a community that is all about random silliness that is not tech related.

There are still all the spam clubs, and little narrow clubs that only maybe three people qualify for too.

I just don't understand this obsession with general nonsense? Why is it such a huge issue?

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
What are you talking about? There is more crazy random BS than there ever was when I first joined. I don't understand the appeal of it really though. About the only thing we're even really trying to crack down on right now is the people who want to post pointless one word posts, spam smilies, and all the dating junk; this isn't eHarmony. It is still really simple to get into all the general nonsense. All you have to do is scroll down a little. You have to remember the primary focus of this forum is computer technology, not general nonsense. It isn't even close to the focus of the forum.

There was a time when general nonsense was more general tech nonsense with a little political and philosophical thread interjected on occasion, and a lot less like a place for bored people to go talk about how they farted, got drunk, and had problems with there girlfriend.

There are plenty of social networking sites to goof around on if you want a community that is all about random silliness that is not tech related.

There are still all the spam clubs, and little narrow clubs that only maybe three people qualify for too.

I just don't understand this obsession with general nonsense? Why is it such a huge issue?

We is human, therefore we talk crap... we need somewhere to drop that inbetween ephiphanies of logical reasoning :p

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Processor E8400 @4.4 GHz - FSB @550 MHZ
Motherboard Asus P5K Premium (Black Pearl)
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 2x1GB Geil BlckDrgn 800 @1158 5-5-5-18
Video Card(s) 8800GT 512MB @740/1782/2080
Storage Hitachi T7K250 250GB & 7200.10 Seagate 250GB
Display(s) Gateway FPD1975W 19" Widescreen
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Xi-FI Xtreme Audio
Power Supply CoolerMaster IGreen 500W
Software XP Home SP3
Benchmark Scores SuperPi: 10.563 Sciencemark: 2563.14
Well my mates respect me for it. There are some that used to think it was stupid, but not now that I fixed there computer, made it twice as fast and I'm basically a hardware give-away-machine. If a mate needs it and is broke, and I have it, I normally give it to them.
I've got all my friends to upgrade their computers, and they are all very grateful. This is what I made for my mate's birthday in conjunction with money from his dad.

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista

not for me, i'm cured :)
i'm all for tech now, and this is still one of the few forums were gn is very free :D

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap

i agree with most of what you said thermo. though a social concept is also neccessary, we aren't machines(or computers :p) made to do all of this. as humans, we also need to interact with other people and the person needing help. there should be a sense of community where popular people here know other popular people, and that way people can work together on a problem and what not. so yeah, a loosely modded general nonsense and club section is something that is needed, because many of us do not want to be under very strict rules, almost to the point where its like we're tech support staff at some big company like asus, boringly helping people all day.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it

3991vhtes

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS A8V-VM SE
Cooling Stock
Memory 1GB DDR400
Video Card(s) DiamondViper Radeon X1650PRO 512MB PCI-e
Storage Seagate 250GB SATA
Display(s) Acer AL2002W 20" LCD Widescreen
Case cheap
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster
Power Supply 500 watt
Software Vista Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 4.1 Vista index
lol effmaster

Thermo, I disagree with you. I think it's a good thing we have GN and clubs, so we can take breaks from tech. Everyone needs breaks from it. As for the farts, drunk, and problems w/ GF threads, I think it gives people an LOL of the day lol.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
No offense, and I'm not aiming this at anyone specific. But some members get out of control, they start spamming the forums with bullshit, any forum that is. If we wish to be taken serious, attract new members, receive review samples, be mentioned on the box of the new Geforce 9800 ĂĽber turbo deluxe edition, we need to be taken serious.

As a mod I look at the rules thing from the other side, to me (and I'm not alone) certain members (and no I'm not naming anyone) are out of control. They spam a lot and take a lot of members with them. Unfortunately if we don't put up barriers for these select view a lot of active members will join in on "the fun" and things will get nasty. Controlling a group of 20 by taking one out is easy and doesn't look too bad. However when there are thousands of people, hundreds of daily active members taking out 20 easily looks like we're strict. I don't think we are, I've read many complaints of various members about "site x banned me because I said this and that", I don't think you get banned easily here. If you manage to do so you're obviously out of line, if not you should be able to communicate about this with us mods. If not we were apparently right about banning you.

I can't of course disagree with the statement that growth introduces more rules, but this is necessary. Just imagine a country with as much rules as your school. Or imagine a school with just the (unwritten)rules of your friends club.

Yeah I understand your hardships Dan, but I have to say that we really are not THAT bad.

System Name Monolith
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer X203w
i agree with most of what you said thermo. though a social concept is also neccessary, we aren't machines(or computers :p) made to do all of this. as humans, we also need to interact with other people and the person needing help. there should be a sense of community where popular people here know other popular people, and that way people can work together on a problem and what not. so yeah, a loosely modded general nonsense and club section is something that is needed, because many of us do not want to be under very strict rules, almost to the point where its like we're tech support staff at some big company like asus, boringly helping people all day.

You get tons of that though. You're club is basically a teenybopper chat room where you spend more time talking about your sexual encounters than technology; am I wrong? Where can you find a tech forum that lets that much slide? General nonsense and the Club forum represent 16.7% of all posts in the forum. I think that is more than an adequate amount. I don't get how people can complain about that.

I never said GN and the Club Forum should be eliminated. I just don't see how people can complain that there isn't enough of it.

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Software Lots of it
No offense, and I'm not aiming this at anyone specific. But some members get out of control, they start spamming the forums with bullshit, any forum that is. If we wish to be taken serious, attract new members, receive review samples, be mentioned on the box of the new Geforce 9800 ĂĽber turbo deluxe edition, we need to be taken serious.

It would certainly be helpful if we knew what cusswords we are alowed to say Dan:p

As I have pointed it out to you in my quote of you being bolded

System Name Monolith
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer X203w
Curse words in excess are not allowed. An interjection every once in awhile is tolerated. Although, I think there are better choices of words :) .

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
Curse words in excess are not allowed. An interjection every once in awhile is tolerated. Although, I think there are better choices of words :) .

Thanks I was always scared of what to say

after seeing Dan cuss I couldnt help but lol, at my stupidity

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Processor E8400 @4.4 GHz - FSB @550 MHZ
Motherboard Asus P5K Premium (Black Pearl)
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 2x1GB Geil BlckDrgn 800 @1158 5-5-5-18
Video Card(s) 8800GT 512MB @740/1782/2080
Storage Hitachi T7K250 250GB & 7200.10 Seagate 250GB
Display(s) Gateway FPD1975W 19" Widescreen
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Xi-FI Xtreme Audio
Power Supply CoolerMaster IGreen 500W
Software XP Home SP3
Benchmark Scores SuperPi: 10.563 Sciencemark: 2563.14
You get tons of that though. You're club is basically a teenybopper chat room where you spend more time talking about your sexual encounters than technology; am I wrong? Where can you find a tech forum that lets that much slide? General nonsense and the Club forum represent 16.7% of all posts in the forum. I think that is more than an adequate amount. I don't get how people can complain about that.

I never said GN and the Club Forum should be eliminated. I just don't see how people can complain that there isn't enough of it.
I'm sorry teens, but I have to agree with Thermo here. The teenagers thread is about 5% tech related. That thread is given a lot of leeway, nobody can complain.

System Name Monolith
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer X203w
Ok, even if it was more like 10%; that is still huge.

3991vhtes

Cooling Stock
Memory 1GB DDR400
Case cheap
Power Supply 500 watt
Software Vista Ultimate
16.7% ain't bad.

83.3% of everything else is tech related, so I don't see what's so bad about that? :confused:

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim

Yes... kill the club forum... let it burn.

System Name Monolith
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer X203w
16.7% ain't bad.

83.3% of everything else is tech related, so I don't see what's so bad about that? :confused:

Nothing. That's why I don't understand why this thread was even created. Somewhere between 10-16% of the forum is not tech related. I think that is more than a sufficient amount. It seems like some people would like this to be a social-tech forum, with over 50% of the posts dealing with their personal lives, chit-chatting about their problems, and meeting e-people who they'll never have a real face to face conversation with.

System Name Monolith
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer X203w

3991vhtes

Cooling Stock
Memory 1GB DDR400
Case cheap
Power Supply 500 watt
Software Vista Ultimate
Thermopylae_480, 10-16% still ain't bad. that's 90-84% of everything else being tech related :)

I don't want to see 50% of this to be personal lives, chit-chatting about their problems, and meeting e-people. :shadedshu

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap

sure the teen club is a bunch of spam and nonsense, but that again, thats what the club is about. while discussing some tech, we discuss teen matters, and thus its the teen club. some tech forums dont let things like general nonsense slide, whereas tpu does. that is why tpu is popular, no offense, if other forums were more loose, im sure tpu wouldn't be as popular as it is today, keep that in mind. im fine with the way things are run now, (though a few extra mods to help the other mods wouldn't be a bad idea) but im against tightening the rules any further. less then .5% of the people here actually get something material out of tpu, the rest of us are people that are volunteering their time and effort to help others. if tpu turns into a sweatshop so to speak of a bunch of people making boring posts and not interacting much, i would leave. a social factor is important, and as i've said before, there needs to be a balance, and not just everything on one side.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
If it were up to me, and it is not, I remember when the clubs were dead, and then the powerusers came...

and everyone wanted to be a poweruser, and they were elite, so people wanted to feel special so they made their own n00b clubs, and then the clubs grew and you know the rest.

People who have more posts in the club forum / general nonesense, THERE IS ANOTHER PLACE FOR YOU! START A BLOG, JOIN ASHENTECH!!! JUST GTFO!

But if it were up to me, we would have NO clubs, and general nonesense would be renamed, "Other Tech Related Items." Then there would be no stupid crap.

Edit: Even better - raise the age to join to 15 or something.

von kain

System Name intel-hate
Processor Amd phenom 2 955 @ 3800
Motherboard msi 790fx-gd70
Cooling coolermaster
Memory 4096 @1600 corsair
Video Card(s) sapphire 5770 @950-1350
Storage 1 seagate 80gb sata2 1 160gb seagate sata
Display(s) 20inch wide lg
Power Supply chieftech 750w
Software windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores nah
Same, TPU is my life, pretty much. You guys are pretty much the only people I can talk to without getting called "geek, nerd" or whatever.

once one call me geek ..he still eats his food with a straw but i am 6.3 200 pounds and gymnastic freak to..

System Name Monolith
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer X203w
What do you mean 0.5% of people come here for something material? You mean you think 99.5% of people come here for general nonsense and social networking?