• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Torment - Tides of Numenera

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I tought I should make a thread about Torment - Tides of Numenera as the kickstarter went online and they met their goal of $900 000 almost immediatly. A short info about the game:

Torment: Tides of Numenera™ continues the thematic legacy of the critically acclaimed Planescape: Torment™. Set in Monte Cook's new tabletop role-playing world, Numenera™, the newest Torment asks: What does one life matter?

Numenera's Ninth World is a fantastic vision of a world in which massive civilizations have risen and fallen - disappeared, transcended, overwhelmed, or destroyed - and left their cities, monuments, and artifacts behind. As each rose and fell, their achievements became part of the accumulated detritus of eons... but much of it did not decay. And now this assortment of ancient power is there for the taking, ever-present, underfoot. The humans of the Ninth World take and use what they can. They call these wonders (and horrors) the numenera.

One of these humans discovers a way to use the numenera to grow strong, to cheat death, to skip across the face of centuries in a succession of bodies. But he discovers an unexpected side effect: You.

Torment™ is a game of complex and nuanced morality, deep and reactive choice and consequence, and immersion into a new and strange vision. You will chart a course through bizarre dimensions, across the face of a vastly different world. You will earn companions along the way, and discover their value - perhaps through their strengths, perhaps more literally by selling them. Throughout it all, you will choose a path that will lead inexorably to an ending that stems naturally from your actions, facing adversaries who harness powers beyond your comprehension, and who will ultimately force you to face yourself and answer the question: What does one life matter?

And some more for those of you that doesn't know about old school RPGs and various tidbits:

Torment is a single-player, isometric role-playing game.
You will play a single, specific character, though you will encounter optional NPC companions you may choose to include in your party.
The story-driven game will have a rich dialogue system and approach similar to that of Planescape: Torment.
The game will be developed in the Unity engine for PC (Windows), Mac, and Linux platforms.
The game will be available in English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish.
The game will be distributed DRM-free. (You’ll be able to get it from Steam, and other DRM-free download options will be made available.)

Why get excited about this? Because it's a sort of spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. I don't really like the concept of "spiritual successors", mostly because I often find they don' work (Bioshock, which might have been a good game, but was a far cry from System Shock 2), but I have some hopes for this. Why? Because I recently started to play Planescape: Torment and it is simply mindblowing.

Seriously, it is that good. So I'm hoping for a deep, mature game (which DOES NOT mean lots of sex, Bioware-Alien-Tits) with lots meaning and lots of interesting dialouge. For preperation, prepare your biggest cup of coffee and play PS: T.

And yes, it is the same company that is making Wasteland 2. I feel like they should have finished that before doing this, but whatevs. Wasteland 2, this, Project Eternity, Double Fine Adventure.. The future lies in the past and it can not come soon enough.

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K