1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Toshiba laptop wont install windows

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by izpmuddy, Oct 15, 2008.

1. izpmuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a friend with a Toshiba satellite laptop and i have been trying to install windows on it. It would always freeze up when reformatting the hard drive. So used partition magic and formatted the hard drive and then installed it. Then after installation i get an error. I have been able to successfully install ubuntu but not windows. Vista was installed before but then tried to install xp and have been having problems since.

2. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Start your computer press F2/F8/DEL - depends on your bios to get you into set up. Normally there should be a note when you start what button you need to press to enter your bios. When you entered your bios search for the boot sequence. There you need to configure it so that the first boot device is your CD/DVD drive. Save and exit your bios.

Now put in your XP CD. Reboot your pc. Now it will boot from the CD. Just follow the instruction there.

3. izpmuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes i have done that, However once it gets to formatting the hard drive in the windows xp cd it freezes. Then when I ran partition magic, it would install but then restart and it would give me a blue screen error. The only OS I can get to run is Ubuntu

4. SimFreak47

SimFreak47

Thanks Received:
    Is the disk scratched, gouged, dirty? try cleaning the Windows XP cd!

that might help!

5. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    it might possibly be your southbridge or ide controller if it keeps giving repeated formatting/installation errors, but first things first, make sure that your cd is clean.

6. izpmuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes the cds were in fact just burned cds so i know there is no problem with them. I have used these images on other computers and work just fine.

7. izpmuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    and also I can install UBUNTU every time I try I only have problems installing any windows os

8. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    check your hdd settings in bios

9. izpmuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    what should i be checking for? it shows that i have a hard drive. I can boot up ubuntu every time if i wanted to and have it running over night. I just get blue screens or it freezes during installation of windows

10. Pyeti New Member

Thanks Received:
    is it a sata hdd or an ide?

11. izpmuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    its sata

12. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Do you have some sort of memory testing program for linux. Its a long shot but maybe you have some bad ram in there somewhere, I had a machine once that seemed fine until I tried to re-load xp and it kept failing during install. It was a dodgy ram stick!!

does it have any extra ram sticks in it, maybe you can take all but 1 out and try it, the usual drill, then try the other one etc...

Its a pain in the ass loading windows a million times huh :)

13. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Look at the bios and see if there is a setting to change the HDD mode from AHCI to IDE. Perhaps you will need to do the floppy/f6 method of installing 3rd party SATA drivers. Find out what harddrive controller that laptop has.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem installing Windows on a computer before. I sent my motherboard out for testing, as it was under warranty, and they swapped it out. Now everything is working fine.

15. Pyeti New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried using nlite to put that sata drivers on the install disk?

16. izpmuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    would i need to do the sata drivers? It does detect the partitions and everything so thats what gets me confused.