• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

total noob and need help!!

tali216

i am experiencing some issues while playing on game servers
my main issue is my game will run smoothly for a while and then suddenly an insane lag will accure and cause my game to get near frozen
my ping spikes from 80/200 (depending on server) to 800-1000, and at this point i will not be able to even exit the game or go back to main menu cause nothing works
this will go on for about 2 minutes and then go back to normal, and in the next round of the game (l4d2 versus servers) will happen again

i am completely not computer savvy and dont even know what information you will need in order to help me so please tell me everything i need to do for you guys to maybe recognize the problem
please keep in mind i dont know the technical terms of things so try to be as specific as you can, i know its asking a lot but really i am at my wits end and need help and cannot afford to have someone look at my pc right now.. :(

ohhh btw a friend recommended using razer game booster and i am using it but seems that it doesnt help, also it takes forever to shut itself down (restore to normal mode) once i exit a game
and also i play all my games through steam. thats about all i know....

thank you for anyone who would reply!
Tali :love:3

tayga

auslogic
ccleaner>ccenhancer for ccleaner
bleachbit
puran utilities
tuneup utilities

revo uninstaller

Process Lasso

safe mode is better for cleaning F8 during boot

use ESET Smart Security or free avast

SpywareBlaster
SuperAntiSpyware

you probably have crap on your computer that causing slow downs it can come from free programs that install ad crap and browsing sloppy websites can put random crap on your computer without knowing
if still studdering issues format computer or see a professional/friend that will backup what you need and reinstall windows

tali216

hmm

i suppose my noobness didnt come across very well
so yeah i dunno what all these words mean, are these tests to run on the pc, softwares to install, i dont know?
i have antivirus i keep it updated i dont download random crap or have addons on my browser or anything

can u give me a basic first step to try? and i can go from there
reminder i cant take the pc to anyone right now and none of my friends know enough to help

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Laptop or desktop computer? What make and model number? It sounds like your hardware is not up to the task of playing whatever game you're trying to play. Does it act normal when downloading large files? If so it's probably not a network problem. Have you cleaned the dust out of your computer lately? Processor and video card coolers tend to get clogged with dust after a while, and that will cause things to overheat, especially when stressed (like during game play or video conversion). Overheating will cause the freeze up you're describing, whether it's caused by the CPU, video card, or motherboard overheating. You could try downloading and installing a temp monitoring program such as HWiNFO32 to see if that's the problem.

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
Did you try playing Singleplayer? Is it playable?

tali216

ok

Laptop or desktop computer? What make and model number? It sounds like your hardware is not up to the task of playing whatever game you're trying to play. Does it act normal when downloading large files? If so it's probably not a network problem. Have you cleaned the dust out of your computer lately? Processor and video card coolers tend to get clogged with dust after a while, and that will cause things to overheat, especially when stressed (like during game play or video conversion). Overheating will cause the freeze up you're describing, whether it's caused by the CPU, video card, or motherboard overheating. You could try downloading and installing a temp monitoring program such as HWiNFO32 to see if that's the problem.

ok i got the HWiNFO32, what do i do with it?
i have a pc

Last edited:

tali216

hi

Did you try playing Singleplayer? Is it playable?

I dont remember the last time i played single player so i will try it now and see if it happens. but i did try to play killing floor 2 days ago on a 6 person server and these lag spikes happened again although i was already dead by the time they happened and when dead i couldnt see ping (it only showed ping of living players)

i have clocked over 1200 hours on this game with this pc and it only started happening recently so i dont know what the problem is

will also clean it again just to be on the safe side of it maybe being dust