• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Total Windows meltdown

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
This is gonna be long, so hold on...

So today I woke up and my cable, internet, and phone connections all didn't work. So my mom called up Verizon and asked them WTF was going on, and as far as they can tell it's their stupid wall box thing. I'm not sure whether it's related or no, but I'm currently on my neighbor's wireless - which causes all sorts of shit because Windows translates horrible horrible network latency to horrible horrible desktop latency (I was not when everything turned to shit).

So I was bored and actually getting around to doing things I should have done, and ended up installing Bulk Rename Utility from an installer I had stashed away - I've used it before and no problems. After I was done I decided to cook some lunch and then go outside, so I shutdown the thing and went about my business.

When I came back I turned it back on I was playing Morrowind (it's not installed on the C drive - that'll come in handy later), and a few seconds after I quit my computer froze so I restarted it. When Windows was booting it said it wanted to check my C drive, and when it actually tries to check it it says it can't access it directly because of a recent software package, and then just loads Windows - which then puts me into a temporary profile which is full of an annoying background, annoying default firefox settings, annoying animations, an annoying control panel, and annoying alerts everywhere.

I've uninstalled BRU in a vain attempt, but to no avail and I'm gonna try to repair it from the DVD, and I'd appreciate thoughts on just exactly what the hell is going on.

I'm scratching my head here, because there are two problems.

1) Network speed does not influence windows, unless you've got some nasty malware running your computer. My laptop doesn't speed up on my home 100 mbit connection, or slow down on the wireless work 50 mbit.
2) What in Hades caused your crash. I've run the bulk image renamer, but never (win 7, vista, and xp) has it caused a windows failure.

Not knowing more, there are two possible problems that I can see.
1) You corrupted a windows file, and the boot loader doesn't know what to do. This is easy if you used the bulk renamer incorrectly, and renamed child directories accidentally, or the crash occurred while writing new data to the user profile. In the case of the former, you'll have to manually rename files. In the case of the later, you're SOL.
2) The installer you used piggy-backed some nasty crap into the system, or there was already some there.

Please excuse the assumption, but either of these situations is likely. You've not given much to work with, other than a corrupt profile. Perhaps something more substantial would allow us to help more, but "annoying background, annoying default firefox settings, annoying animations, an annoying control panel, and annoying alerts everywhere." are the symptoms of so many things it isn't funny.

System Name Eldritch
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
So it turns out one of my hard drives died and tried to take the one with Windows out with it, but Windows still won't let me log in to my profile.

1) Network speed does not influence windows, unless you've got some nasty malware running your computer. My laptop doesn't speed up on my home 100 mbit connection, or slow down on the wireless work 50 mbit.

I've always had really bad latency when I connect to their wireless, both ping and desktop latency, and the only other times I get the same symptoms are when I connect to a network with almost no reception.

I've always had really bad latency when I connect to their wireless, both ping and desktop latency, and the only other times I get the same symptoms are when I connect to a network with almost no reception.

My condolences on the HDD death. That always sucks.

As far as desktop latency, what? Do you mean a slow opening/closing of programs? Do you mean it's slow to access web pages?

Along the same lines, I'm guessing you've tried to ping something, presumably using the command prompt, and that is what you mean by ping latency. Please correct me if I am wrong.

No matter how I look at this, program access speeds in windows aren't related to internet connection speed unless you're on a remote desktop. From the sounds of it, that is not the case. I'm still scratching my head here...?

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
Stupid box thing in the wall? A wall plug that runs a semi wireless connection? One of those? If so those things suck. I'd remove that and go straight cable or wireless, directly to a wireless receiver.
I was using one of those and it cut my bandwidth in more than half. Took it out and wala, perfect..

System Name Eldritch
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
As far as desktop latency, what? Do you mean a slow opening/closing of programs? Do you mean it's slow to access web pages?

DPC latency, it's basically how long it takes for the computer toget around to processing the highest-priority tasks. Basically if it's too high it causes all sorts of hitching and tripping over itself. There's a good utility to check it over here. It's usually caused by services or drivers taking forever to do something.

Stupid box thing in the wall? A wall plug that runs a semi wireless connection? One of those? If so those things suck. I'd remove that and go straight cable or wireless, directly to a wireless receiver.
I was using one of those and it cut my bandwidth in more than half. Took it out and wala, perfect..

It's some giant white box they shoved in one of the closets that has a few phone jacks and some battery back-up thing.... If I can find a camera I'll try to put up a picture. But the power went out at like 7 in the morning and when the power went out it just assumed the end of the world came and never thought to check whether the electricity came back on, so it just burned through the battery. I'm still a little fuzzy on the details and why that would disrupt my cable, internet, and even the phone.

DPC latency, it's basically how long it takes for the computer toget around to processing the highest-priority tasks. Basically if it's too high it causes all sorts of hitching and tripping over itself. There's a good utility to check it over here. It's usually caused by services or drivers taking forever to do something.

It's some giant white box they shoved in one of the closets that has a few phone jacks and some battery back-up thing.... If I can find a camera I'll try to put up a picture. But the power went out at like 7 in the morning and when the power went out it just assumed the end of the world came and never thought to check whether the electricity came back on, so it just burned through the battery. I'm still a little fuzzy on the details and why that would disrupt my cable, internet, and even the phone.

Ok there's the disconnect.

That resplendence software basically monitors the process list, and check to see how much is on it over time. You can do basically the same with ctrl+alt+dlt, task manager, Processes/Performance, and a bit of logic. The only way windows would take longer to respond on Wifi is if you've got malware which activates when connected to the internet (or some updater programs...), and the glut of programs accessing all at once brings windows to its knees.

This is not Wifi's fault, nor is it yours. Learn to kill auto-updaters, and you'll see faster performance.

There is one device a telecom puts into your house, a modem. Whether with a battery back-up (for phone), or not, it does one thing. A modem changes coaxial data feed into something else; in this case, the new data feed is either ethernet, telephony, or television. That failing would cause all the problems. To fix it:
1) Remove power
2) Remove battery
3) Reconnect power
4) Wait for modem lights to stabilize
5) Reconnect battery
6) Enjoy everything (tv, phone, internet) again

Perhaps we are looking at the same thing, from different angles. Troubleshoot first, then assume the apocalypse. As it stands, you seem to have skipped out on the troubleshooting, and went directly to rage. Too much of that will kill you.

System Name Eldritch
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
There are a few threads on the subject, this is one of my favorites.

There are a few threads on the subject, this is one of my favorites.

I'm getting the distinct feeling that you're mixing terminology.

Latency: time between sending and receiving signals
Ping: measure of time between sending and receiving computer signals

So, on wireless you can ping another device, and measure the latency between those devices. A ping time that is higher means more delay, and dropped packets means a poor signal.

So, I'm going to extrapolate here:
You have a high latency on the neighbor's wifi. This is reasonable, considering both distance and signal strength. This latency will make browsing the internet slow.

If you've got a bunch of background programs that want to access the internet, they will consume resources until they've completed contact. A high latency internet connection will cause these programs to access data slowly, which will slow down windows because resources are not being freed up.

My advice still stands. Kill auto-updaters, so that the computer doesn't spend too many resources there. As you're leeching off the neighbor's wifi, you don't have room to complain there. The router from your telecom needs a good hard reboot.

System Name Eldritch
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
The problem is that I don't have any auto-updaters, I've had this problem on fresh installs of Windows (completely stock), old installs of Windows and everywhere in between.

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
Holy thread jesus batman. Have you tried system restore with Win 7 dvd? Should fix any re-named files that might have been accident'ed. To be safe load in safemode and run malwarebytes.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff