• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Interview: David Makin / Palit Multimedia

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
In our interview with David Makin from Palit Multimedia we learned about recent US activities of the company and how Palit is working on increasing their market share. Also David talks about his personal background and how he made it into the Industry.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Nice to know that Palit is expanding themselves into UE market.
Just one question: Why Palit uses to brands Palit/XpertVison? Or isn't the same Palit, confused. ;)
I'm Portuguese, but I also spend lots of time from Forums to Forums, Sites to sites, UE,EU,Asia... and the use of different brands confuse end users like my self, sometimes need to check and recheck photos to confirm that we are talking about the same product, I think they should stand with just one brand, make it easer on market level. Just my 2 cents.
About the PCB color, I agreed they must changing it, the only reason I chose XpertVison GPU's are the fact they are very good pieces of hardware, but they look woeful.
I have 2 8600GT and I'm waiting for 2 9600GT Sonic to replace them on my nvidia system, I'm proud of my 2 8600GT, they served me well, #3 2x GeForce 8600 GT 256 Mb in 3Dmark 2006 with 12589 marks; #4 2x GeForce 8600 GT 256 Mb in 3Dmark 2003 with 37006 marks and #5 2x GeForce 8600 GT 256 Mb in 3Dmark 2001 with 43425 marks, on Hwbot rank, that scores are achieved with AMD CPU's against Intel CPU in their own territory, benchmarks, proofing that the GPU's are excellent OC-ers.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
i love these interveiws alwas so incredably intresting its good for tpu im really glad we do these.

Hi

Just one question: Why Palit uses to brands Palit/XpertVison? Or isn't the same Palit, confused. ;)
I'm Portuguese, but I also spend lots of time from Forums to Forums, Sites to sites, UE,EU,Asia... and the use of different brands confuse end users like my self, sometimes need to check and recheck photos to confirm that we are talking about the same product, I think they should stand with just one brand, make it easer on market level. Just my 2 cents.
About the PCB color, I agreed they must changing it, the only reason I chose XpertVison GPU's are the fact they are very good pieces of hardware, but they look woeful.
I have 2 8600GT and I'm waiting for 2 9600GT Sonic to replace them on my nvidia system, I'm proud of my 2 8600GT, they served me well, #3 2x GeForce 8600 GT 256 Mb in 3Dmark 2006 with 12589 marks; #4 2x GeForce 8600 GT 256 Mb in 3Dmark 2003 with 37006 marks and #5 2x GeForce 8600 GT 256 Mb in 3Dmark 2001 with 43425 marks, on Hwbot rank, that scores are achieved with AMD CPU's against Intel CPU in their own territory, benchmarks, proofing that the GPU's are excellent OC-ers.

Xpertvision / Vivkoo etc, basically are brands which have PALiT as their manufacturer instead of say for example, Foxconn. It is honestly MUCH better having the cards built by PALiT as they usually have more power phases, and a simplified PCB design afaik. Overall better cards.
PALiT is one of those brands where a majority of their customers are satisfied.

Last edited:

Temps_Riising

Processor E8500 @ 4.75gig....E8200 @ 4.4gig
Motherboard Gigabyte x38T DQ6 and EVGA 790i Ultra
Cooling TRUE and lots of 120mm fans
Memory 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600mhz 7-7-7-18
Video Card(s) Inno3D 512MB 8800GTS G92 @ 835/2087/1075
Storage Western Digital 500gb 32MB cache SATA II
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 205BW 20" TFT on DVi
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) XiFi Xtreme Gamer/Audigy 4
Power Supply Tagan 800W U33 2ForceLL
Software XP Home SP3 and Vista 32bit Home Premium dual boot
Benchmark Scores Don't Bench....too busy gaming!
Hi

As I understand it, Palit is the parent Company, historically the Palit Brand has mainly been marketed and sold in Asia, they have spread their wings to North America, XPertvision and Gainward are subsidery companies owned by Palit that have been marketed in Europe, where in the past, the palit Brand has been absent.

Personally I like Palit and managed to get my hands on one thru E Bay, I have owned many Gainward cards also and have found them to be excellent as well.

Thank you guys, as you I'm aware of it, it was just to express my POV about Palit's branding policy.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
I really enjoy the interviews you guys started doing. Everyone needs to see the fish tank computer he was talking about. It's really neat, but it could use a hardware upgrade....been running for so long ha.

Palit_Guy

Palit Representative
The thing about brand is that most people associate certain aspects of a company or product with that brand. When you start combining different positioning with the same brand things can get a bit confusing i.e. you have to start creating sub-brands.

Think about CPUs for a moment. You have AMD and they make Opteron, Athlon64 and Sempron products. So they have a person in charge of the overall AMD brand but they also have people in charge of each of those sub brands. On top of that, you have someone in charge of particular products within those sub brands.

Rather than have things organized that way, Palit chose to go with completely separate brands that are pretty much spread out geographically i.e Gainward covers Europe. That allows the Gainward folks to specifically target their marketing activities to support what they are trying to accomplish in that particular region which may be a little different that how we want to do things in the US and Canada.

To some degree, it doesn't really matter which way you go because you have the same number of people doing the same kinds of things. This is just how Palit chose to do it for whatever reasons. There are pros and cons to both ways and I'm just glad it's not up to me to make those kinds of decisions.

W

wolf2009

The thing about brand is that most people associate certain aspects of a company or product with that brand. When you start combining different positioning with the same brand things can get a bit confusing i.e. you have to start creating sub-brands.

Think about CPUs for a moment. You have AMD and they make Opteron, Athlon64 and Sempron products. So they have a person in charge of the overall AMD brand but they also have people in charge of each of those sub brands. On top of that, you have someone in charge of particular products within those sub brands.

Rather than have things organized that way, Palit chose to go with completely separate brands that are pretty much spread out geographically i.e Gainward covers Europe. That allows the Gainward folks to specifically target their marketing activities to support what they are trying to accomplish in that particular region which may be a little different that how we want to do things in the US and Canada.

To some degree, it doesn't really matter which way you go because you have the same number of people doing the same kinds of things. This is just how Palit chose to do it for whatever reasons. There are pros and cons to both ways and I'm just glad it's not up to me to make those kinds of decisions.

hey nice interview , anyways YGPM .

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
Great interview!

Nice one PalitGuy!

:toast:

The thing about brand is that most people associate certain aspects of a company or product with that brand.

That's the point, and if the company makes high quality products, I see that, as an advantage.

When you start combining different positioning with the same brand things can get a bit confusing i.e. you have to start creating sub-brands.

OK, like releasing products for budged market (e.g. ASUS/ASROCK)?

But you know you are buying AMD.

But for Europe they also have Xpertvision.

Want to know a funny thing? Before I decided to order the 2 Palit/XpertVison 9600GTs I was divided between Gainward BLISS 9600GT PCX and XpertVison/Palit GF9600GT Sonic, price difference is 13 euros, Gainward visual look it's better but I had very good results with XpertVison, so I opted for the XpertVison, far from knowing that maybe I was buying the same card.:laugh: