1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's Nostalgic Hardware Club

Discussion in 'TechPowerUp Club Forum' started by stinger608, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Trekkie4

Trekkie4

Thanks Received:
    Good point, totally forgot about that :) Nevertheless, manual makes it easier to identify the exact jumper(s) for setting the multiplier & voltages, eliminating the risk of board (or CPU) damage.

biffzinker, stinger608 and dorsetknob say thanks.
  2. agent_x007

Thanks Received:
    Here are some scores from my PGA 478 w/P4EE (with slower RAM) : LINK.
    Anyone with 875P chipset out there ?
    Because I would like to check how my board compares againts it.
    Thank you.

stinger608 and uuuaaaaaa say thanks.
  3. DR4G00N

DR4G00N

Thanks Received:
    Here is a quick and dirty run of super pi 1M with my P4 2.6GHz NW @ 3.38GHz and P4C800-E. Bloated install of xp home 32 bit and no tweaks.
    Might be able to do a better comparison later if you want. Don't have any gallatins though.

image_id_1789944.png

biffzinker and stinger608 say thanks.
  4. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    Look at my "Purple Haze" build in system specs :p Will bench that baby over the weekend!

This is from an old stock run:

http://hwbot.org/submission/3324820...um_4_extreme_edition_3.4ghz_(s478)_38sec_47ms

I remember benching it at 3825MHz!

Time to clean the dust of the mighty Purple Haze!

stinger608 says thanks.
  5. Mr.Scott

Mr.Scott

Thanks Received:
    P4C800 and a 3 gig Prescott.

image_id_1093595.jpeg

6. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    Yeh nice overclock :)

biffzinker and Mr.Scott say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Mr.Scott

Mr.Scott

Thanks Received:
    And a Northy for DR4G00N.

image_id_1096813.jpeg

8. Trekkie4

Trekkie4

Thanks Received:
    Well, this turned out to be a disappointment... Was going to add a powerful 80x80 intake fan into that P4 system, I even had to take apart the front face plate & remove the hard drive, just to mount it across the metal frame, when I realized the fan isn't working. Then I plugged in another one & gave it a try, but still nothing! Apparently both "Power" and "System" fan headers are either deactivated or (most likely) shot & not working. And I really tried just about everything really, from resetting the CMOS back to factory settings to flashing the board with latest BIOS.

My thoughts are going back to the old case, where I found this Asus board... It had one of those cheap & fancy-looking LCD screen fan controllers, built into the case itself. So I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow damaged the circuitry! Considering the case itself didn't work (at least the power button assembly) along with the fact that integrated LCD screen was unplugged from the 12V supply, I'd say it's quite plausible.

So instead of using 3-pin header I had to "cheat" & go with molex adapter, which you can easily see behind the hard drive.
    [​IMG]

9. Robert B

Robert B

Thanks Received:
    1MB !!! memory upgrade :D - imagine THAT!!! :D HIGH END STUFF hmmmm SERIOUS BUSINESS :D

Attached Files:

10. Trekkie4

Trekkie4

Thanks Received:
    Awesome stuff!! Now you can go as high as 800x600 in 16bit color mode :D ;)

Edit
    Correction, make that 1024x768!

biffzinker, stinger608 and Robert B say thanks.
  11. Robert B

Robert B

Thanks Received:
    This time a true SNEAK PEEK! :D

Attached Files:

biffzinker, Trekkie4 and uuuaaaaaa say thanks.
  12. Trekkie4

Trekkie4

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... I recognize Energy Star logo, so it must be monitor of some sort... Or maybe projector?

13. Robert B

Robert B

Thanks Received:
    stinger608, biffzinker and Trekkie4 say thanks.
  14. Trekkie4

Trekkie4

Thanks Received:
    Huh, so it has a light (LED) for the Energy Star logo?! Love the case though, reminds me of my old Pentium II! :)

15. biffzinker

biffzinker

Thanks Received:
    Looks like semi-transparent plastic allowing light through the logo to me. Recognized the older LEDS for power/hd from a older 486/586 case front panel.

Robert B, Mr.Scott and Trekkie4 say thanks.
  16. Trekkie4

Trekkie4

Thanks Received:
    So, here's something you don't get to see every day... I'm about to donate some of the (retro) network equipment to a fellow forumer, from another (local) forum so I took these pics here :)

These are all Genius from what I can tell, some of which had never been used before. And since I really don't have any use for ISA ethernet cards (especially coaxial ones), I might as well give these to someone who actually has interest in collecting & using them...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Speaking of Genius products, I finally got around to replace my desktop speakers for something better. Bought them about a year ago, but had them inside the box until today! Don't think I have to point out the obvious lol, they really ARE impressive comparing to my old & tiny 2.5W ones!
    [​IMG]

Komshija, DR4G00N and biffzinker say thanks.
  17. DR4G00N

DR4G00N

Thanks Received:
    I have the card on the far right I think, it's all nasty and corroded though so not sure if it even works.

18. Trekkie4

Trekkie4

Thanks Received:
    I'm assuming you're referring to coax/RJ45 combo card? (6th pic) These ones are mostly preserved, but like I pointed out earlier, I have no idea if they work or not... I used one of these Genius cards for a 5x86 build just for fun, I remember how setting it up was a PITA, but in the end system recognized it, I even ran diagnostic utility program from the floppy disk... Not that I'm going to use it, but I want all my hardware to be operational & available at any moment.

19. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Don't know if it's been talked about before, the Asus CUSL2-C "Black Pearl"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a special edition board with a black PCB. Also came with a branded screwdriver and a collectible box. I kept the box for awhile, but eventually it became too worn to keep. Still have the screwdriver and manuals somewhere around here.

Had it paired with a Pentium III 650 at 866Mhz and single stick of PC133 512MB (the chipset maximum). I cursed Intel that day because the limitation was more political than technical in nature. DRAM prices were so low that 1.5GB of PC133 cost less than 128MB of RD-RAM, but you would need to use VIA and not Intel. For perspective: 128MB was minimum, 256MB was good, and 512MB was above the curve. So while 1.5GB RAM would have been god-like, many of us accepted the 512MB limitation as a compromise.

In other words, the prohibitive price of the i820 and VIA's instability made the i815/E/EP a favorite. Wasn't special on it's own, but simply had the fewest "cons".

So what's to like about this specific model over other i815 boards? Aside from the color, it's was purposely designed with no 3rd party on-board devices. It's AGP and 6 PCI slots (or 5 PCI + 1 CNR) were ample, and allowed the builder to choose every single part. I had a GeForce 3 in the first slot, two Intel NICs, sound card, Firewire controller, and an MPEG2 decoder. The decoder was a holdover from my older, less powerful system that couldn't decode DVD video on it's own. The Pentium III didn't have that problem, however, the decoder's S-Video output quality was so clean that I kept it installed for several years. Could play a DVD on the TV while playing Diablo II or Quake III with no slowdown.

Over the next couple years 3rd party controllers became less taboo and it wasn't that big of a deal to use some on-board devices. You only bought dedicated if it made a difference in your situation. So while the i815 platform was for the most part unremarkable, this particular board was a gem for picky builders at a time when it still mattered.

Komshija, PHaS3, uuuaaaaaa and 5 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Mr.Scott

Mr.Scott

Thanks Received:
    It's a very nice board. I have the run of the mill puke brown CUSL2-C.

Jizzler says thanks.
  21. Robert B

Robert B

Thanks Received:
    For the 5x86 wire management session I TOOK NO PRISONERS :D

Spaghetti anyone?

W
    ork In Progress!!! :D

Attached Files:

stinger608, biffzinker and PHaS3 say thanks.
  22. xkm1948

xkm1948

Thanks Received:
    I just found an old K6-2 550. Will post some pictures soon. Any one have some old Socket7 MoBo around? I would love to build a retro Windows 98 machine. :D

23. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I've only got one Super Socket 7 board that I purchased brand new back in the day. I'm not letting that one go.

@Mr.Scott might have something though.

Mr.Scott says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Mr.Scott

Mr.Scott

Thanks Received:
    Nope, I only own 1 Super 7 board also.

The good one's are gettin kinda tough to find now.

biffzinker, Trekkie4 and stinger608 say thanks.
  25. Trekkie4

Trekkie4

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, so I've noticed... I assumed finding the replacement Socket 7 board for my Pentium 233 would be piece of cake, but I literally came up empty... if it wasn't for the pure dumb luck & fixing the mouse problem on my replacement board, this would had been yet another unfinished project/repair :-(

IMHO, Slot-1 is probably next... When I 1st got "into" old technology, back in 2012/13 these things were everywhere! And I really DO mean everywhere, you could buy truckloads for almost nothing, same thing for Slot-1 CPUs - both Celerons & Pentiums! Now these things are getting harder to find, I don't even remember seeing one for sale, ESPECIALLY offering it for free.