• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's Nostalgic Hardware Club

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
If I remember rightly I was using some AMD XP 2000 CPUs or something near to that, I remember having the XP-M CPUs and they used to overclock like crazy!! I've got to go now and dig out some pics!! lol

System Name Adison "Open Space" 19
Processor Intel Pentium II, 350MHz
Motherboard Chaintech 6BTM, Slot 1
Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Video Card(s) ATI Rage IIc AGP, Diamond Monster 3DII 12MB
Storage BTC BCD-40XH, Quantum Fireball 3.5 Series, EX6.4 GB
Display(s) LG StudioWorks 57M
Case Adison Midi Tower, ATX
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster 128
Power Supply Codegen 300W
Mouse Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Keyboard Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Software Microsoft Windows 98
If I remember rightly I was using some AMD XP 2000 CPUs or something near to that, I remember having the XP-M CPUs and they used to overclock like crazy!! I've got to go now and dig out some pics!! lol
Hmmm... Once again, more than enough power to run GTAIII. Wonder what caused the lag? :confused:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
DSCF0651.JPG
DSCF0655.JPG
DSCF0687.JPG
DSCF0696.JPG
My screen and Kenny.jpg
Small isnt it.JPG

Ah... I remember getting into PC's about the 1998 mark, my Amiga 1200 that I had was upgraded to PPC 603e+ with a BlizzardVision PPC and it was a monster.. The shame of it was when I had sent it away to get upgraded they didn't upgrade the PSU in it at all and the bodge that came back tripped the house out and then killed everything :'( I was in pieces having just spent £1600 on it to get it done.. God I loved that system.. I still have a few Amiga's here to this day but nothing spec'd even close to that... What I got back from the company after claiming through the house insurance was sold off and I got into PC's.. God I wish I could find something similar like it today, if I had the cash, I'd have bought it in a flash.. But that said, I'm wanting to grab myself a Amiga 4000T, if I can find one upgraded, I'm going for it... :)

Hmmm... Once again, more than enough power to run GTAIII. Wonder what caused the lag? :confused:

Probably the Norton Antivirus!! :laugh:

EDIT -

Just found these few pics as well :)

Geforce 3, ATI 9700 Pro and a Geforce 4.JPG
Galaxy 6800GT AGP graphics card 2.JPG

I have had far too much hardware over the years!! lol :)

Last edited:
Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
View attachment 100950View attachment 100951View attachment 100952View attachment 100953View attachment 100954View attachment 100955

Ah... I remember getting into PC's about the 1998 mark, my Amiga 1200 that I had was upgraded to PPC 603e+ with a BlizzardVision PPC and it was a monster.. The shame of it was when I had sent it away to get upgraded they didn't upgrade the PSU in it at all and the bodge that came back tripped the house out and then killed everything :'( I was in pieces having just spent £1600 on it to get it done.. God I loved that system.. I still have a few Amiga's here to this day but nothing spec'd even close to that... What I got back from the company after claiming through the house insurance was sold off and I got into PC's.. God I wish I could find something similar like it today, if I had the cash, I'd have bought it in a flash.. But that said, I'm wanting to grab myself a Amiga 4000T, if I can find one upgraded, I'm going for it... :)

Probably the Norton Antivirus!! :laugh:
OMG, they've killed Kenny! You bastards!! :D

Seriously though, nice rig(s)! Especially the keyboard, reminds me of my own BTC keyboard from 1998, 1999 & Pentium II machine, while it still had the original case :( Which (I'm sorry to say) replaced for much cheaper, generic one in 2006 because I thought the old one was too banged up & noisy. And it was ... but it was also highly unique!

Edit

Same system today

Edit2
I take it that AC "5NV Silencer" GPU cooler is aftermarket mod? :)

Last edited:
System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
You have some very nice vintage hardware phill. I have alot of the same.
Currently on my test bench is TH7 Raid and GF3 ti500.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
OMG, they've killed Kenny! You bastards!! :D

Seriously though, nice rig(s)! Especially the keyboard, reminds me of my own BTC keyboard from 1998, 1999 & Pentium II machine, while it still had the original case :( Which (I'm sorry to say) replaced for much cheaper, generic one in 2006 because I thought the old one was too banged up & noisy. And it was ... but it was also highly unique!

Edit2
I take it that AC "5NV Silencer" GPU cooler is aftermarket mod? :)

I believe so, it came with the card, I believe it was an eBay buy, wished I had kept hold of it all really but there's so much stuff I'd have no where to put it!

You have some very nice vintage hardware phill. I have alot of the same.
Currently on my test bench is TH7 Raid and GF3 ti500.

They are just pictures of the kit I used to have, I have some of the hardware but I'm over run with it at the moment! My PC room is fulling up and there's no way I'm going to be able to afford a house extension or a bigger house at this rate lol !!

Here's one pic of some graphics cards I was very happy to have taken :)

GPUs 16.JPG

X48 and X58 2.JPG

Wish I never sold the Rampage but the EVGA 759 I have still :)

System Name The Banshee
Processor Ryzen 5 5600 @ 4.65GHz 1.20V
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling CM Hyper 212 Plus
Memory 16GB 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z 3600 CL16 1.35V
Video Card(s) RTX 3060M 6GB @ 1750-2000MHz Core / 1875MHz Mem
Storage 1TB Kingston NV2 & 1TB Mass Storage HDD
Display(s) LG 25UM57-P @ 75Hz OC
Case Fractal Design Arc XL
Audio Device(s) ATH-M20x
Power Supply Evga SuperNova 1300 G2
Mouse Evga Torq X3
Keyboard Thermaltake Challenger
Software Win 10 Pro 64-Bit
I'm going to say that the FB-DIMM's I bought with my D5400XS won't be showing up since it's been over a month. :shadedshu:
The board seems to work okay though from what I can tell. I ordered some more, Genuine IBM Elpida 2x1GB PC2-5300F kit. Hopefully I get these ones. :p

The same seller had a set of 2x512MB Buffalo Firestix PC2-8000 CL5 for sale too so I snapped them up as well. Should be Micron D9GKX on them. Already have a few nice kit's of Crucial Ballistix D9's but having more D9 never hurts.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
Yeah GTAIII are pretty easy on the hardware. I got it running on very slow 66MHz FSB Celeron 600MHz with intel i810 IGP abeit at very slow framerate (It was Dell Optiplex GX100 without AGP slot). So slow in fact I can admire the exhaust fumes coming out when accelerating. It might sounds funny but 3D was big thing back then and a huge jump from GTA2 which I played massively before.

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Yeah GTAIII are pretty easy on the hardware. I got it running on very slow 66MHz FSB Celeron 600MHz with intel i810 IGP abeit at very slow framerate (It was Dell Optiplex GX100 without AGP slot). So slow in fact I can admire the exhaust fumes coming out when accelerating. It might sounds funny but 3D was big thing back then and a huge jump from GTA2 which I played massively before.
Right, I got two GX110 myself (both "PizzaBox" Desktop & Tower models), but to tell you the truth, I never really tried to run GTA3 on those two :) It's kinda funny actually (especially because of your avatar), since the tower GX110 came with Max Payne CD inside the NEC CD-ROM drive lol. Not original, it was just a standard Traxdata, home-made copy but I've decided to keep it afterwards & gave Max Payne a try since I never played the game before!

And yes, seeing Kuruma parked on the Callahan bridge during the opening cutscene was just breathtaking. I actually remember my initial thought from back in a day, I was absolutely sure that I'm (still) seeing cutscene and that (once the actual gameplay takes over) the camera would go back up, "topdown" mode like it did in both GTA, GTA London & GTA2 :) TBH, this is probably why Kuruma is my favorite car in GTA3... ;)

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
I'm going to say that the FB-DIMM's I bought with my D5400XS won't be showing up since it's been over a month. :shadedshu:
The board seems to work okay though from what I can tell. I ordered some more, Genuine IBM Elpida 2x1GB PC2-5300F kit. Hopefully I get these ones. :p

The same seller had a set of 2x512MB Buffalo Firestix PC2-8000 CL5 for sale too so I snapped them up as well. Should be Micron D9GKX on them. Already have a few nice kit's of Crucial Ballistix D9's but having more D9 never hurts.

I think I remember the stuff.. I used to have some Crucial ram, PC5300, used to clock like a crazy man, went to 1066Mhz without any issue!! Wish I had some of that but then I don't have any DDR2 systems I don't think so best not go down that route!! Please let us know how it goes??!

Right, I got two GX110 myself (both "PizzaBox" Desktop & Tower models), but to tell you the truth, I never really tried to run GTA3 on those two :) It's kinda funny actually (especially because of your avatar), since the tower GX110 came with Max Payne CD inside the NEC CD-ROM drive lol. Not original, it was just a standard Traxdata, home-made copy but I've decided to keep it afterwards & gave Max Payne a try since I never played the game before!

And yes, seeing Kuruma parked on the Callahan bridge during the opening cutscene was just breathtaking. I actually remember my initial thought from back in a day, I was absolutely sure that I'm (still) seeing cutscene and that (once the actual gameplay takes over) the camera would go back up, "topdown" mode like it did in both GTA, GTA London & GTA2 :) TBH, this is probably why Kuruma is my favorite car in GTA3... ;)

I think I've got to see if I can get a small PC together and get GTA running on it with XP or something.. All this talk of retro games, it needs a retro system for it to run on!! :D

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64

Haha that's really unexpected with cracked copy of Max Payne :laugh: I kinda miss the GX100 because it's the 'proper' early PC for me since my original PC was Pentium 166MHz non MMX. Some stories about my early PC on spoiler if you wanted to read further
I tried to run Red Alert 2 on it and it doesn't go well. Took 15 minutes to load a level and another 5 minutes just to build power plant :roll:Harddisk was too small to install it and need to compress it so that's the major reason for the slowdown. The GX100 seems like a speed demon compared to it.

The i810 graphics is unique since it have dedicated framebuffer (I remember there is a couple of RAM chips besides the northbridge) but can't remember how much. The Intel driver is a major letdown. I remember to properly play Return To Castle Wofenstein I need to load one specific level (where you get the elusive 'Snooper' rifle and play stealth entire level) in that level there is one tunnel that I need to run through and turn left to the exit for the texture to load properly. If not the entire game is just white texture. So everytime I wanted to play it I need to load this section first :p. Other Quake3 engine title like Medal of Honor Allied Assault don't exhibit this problem though

You nailed it. That opening scene is very nostalgic. The green Kuruma and when you enter the car the radio turns on and starts with' This is head radio...' near the end of the radio intro people saying 'thank you' it feels like the devs thanking me instead. A proper way to start a game IMO.

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Haha that's really unexpected with cracked copy of Max Payne :laugh: I kinda miss the GX100 because it's the 'proper' early PC for me since my original PC was Pentium 166MHz non MMX. Some stories about my early PC on spoiler if you wanted to read further
I tried to run Red Alert 2 on it and it doesn't go well. Took 15 minutes to load a level and another 5 minutes just to build power plant :roll:Harddisk was too small to install it and need to compress it so that's the major reason for the slowdown. The GX100 seems like a speed demon compared to it.

The i810 graphics is unique since it have dedicated framebuffer (I remember there is a couple of RAM chips besides the northbridge) but can't remember how much. The Intel driver is a major letdown. I remember to properly play Return To Castle Wofenstein I need to load one specific level (where you get the elusive 'Snooper' rifle and play stealth entire level) in that level there is one tunnel that I need to run through and turn left to the exit for the texture to load properly. If not the entire game is just white texture. So everytime I wanted to play it I need to load this section first :p. Other Quake3 engine title like Medal of Honor Allied Assault don't exhibit this problem though

You nailed it. That opening scene is very nostalgic. The green Kuruma and when you enter the car the radio turns on and starts with' This is head radio...' near the end of the radio intro people saying 'thank you' it feels like the devs thanking me instead. A proper way to start a game IMO.
Yes, exactly. When I was given the 1st GX110, I kept thinking (and expecting) the onboard graphics to be a bunch of crap, just like most of the other "all in one" systems from around the same time. You know, just enough power to run Win98 in 1024x768 mode with 32bit color, but without 3D acceleration support. So instead of trying the onboard chip, I immediately picked up a PCI TNT2 M64 card to provide me with 3D environment. In fact, I still have that same setup inside Desktop (Pizza Box) GX110 today.

2 or 3 years later, one of the guys from the local forum asked me if I'd want to take a free GX110, this time tower case design because he was ready to throw it out into the bin. Apparently because he wasn't using it any longer, and also because the old hard drive, Quantum Fireball was shot & wasn't showing any signs of life. This is the system which had a copy of Max Payne inside, I even messaged the guy afterwards & asked him if he wants the CD back, but he told me to keep it :) However, I couldn't find a PCI card for this other GX110, so I took one of the spare Voodoo2 cards I've had laying around & put it inside GX110. Obviously, it was working just fine, but when I tried to do a benchmark test in 3DMark 99, comparing single Voodoo2 (12mb) against the onboard video chip I've ended up with almost the same results. Okay, so the 3dfx card was just barely faster in some areas, but they were almost equal. Certainly not something I would expect to see (and find) inside Dell system from back in a day, especially since most of these units were made for corporate usage, offices, banks & similar. In fact, I'm planning to take the Voodoo2 out eventually & put it inside other, dedicated Voodoo2 system because having the Voodoo2 inside Optiplex GX110 is just a waste of resources IMHO.

And guys, I had the unexpected score today! I'll be honest, none of the 3 key components shown in the pictures below are in good condition (in fact, some of them are in really, REALLY bad & sorry state), but with that being said, they MIGHT still work OK, IDK.

Starting with Quantum's Bigfoot drive, appears to be 2nd "CY" series product line. Yes, it's really that rusty on the outside, and the PCB board seems to be in pretty bad state, but with that being said I'm going to hook it up next time I get the chance & see if it boots up! Fingers crossed ... I don't even know the capacity of this thing!

Followed by this lovely S370 VIA C3 processor. You might have noticed that it's missing couple of letters, right? That's because some idiot (and I repeat, IDIOT) glued one of those tiny, small GPU heatsinks across the CPU, to cool it down. You know, like the ones on nVidia M64 & Vanta cards... This thing melted to the heatsink, so when I pulled the heatsink off the CPU, it tore off the letters from the heat spreader! Guess I'm lucky it didn't tore off the entire CPU, exposing the chip underneath :( Sooo, once again I have NO IDEA if it works or not. It came from a non-working system, with blown PSU & bulging motherboard, which is never a good sign to begin with! I know you can't read the specs, but this model appears to be VIA C3 1.0AGHz, in 100 x 10.0 configuration. I would appreciate more info on this chip here, is it compatible with ALL standard S370 boards, or does it require a "special" one? And what about the voltages, does it share the socket with Coppermine series or Tualatin ones?

And last ... this GeForce2 MX card. Quite frankly, don't know why I took this one, but I'm sure it'll come in handy some day ;) These cards are very much powerful & provide more than enough gaming power for ALL the retro games, up to 2003, 2004. Including previously mentioned GTAIII, this thing here (assuming it's not fried), SHOULD run the game on max settings without any problems, whatsoever. Interestingly though, it is missing a GPU fan/heatsink. So I'm wondering if maybe someone removed it from the card in order to cool down the VIA CPU?!

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Well, okay... Although I didn't get any feedback on the VIA processor, I'm somewhat closer to finding the right board & parameters. Seems to be Ezra-T core, where apparently "T" stands for Tualatin. Therefore, this board will only work on Tualatin-certified boards, and NOT the Coppermine/Mendocino ones.

Sadly, I only got ONE Tualatin system in my collection, and that's a Celeron 1000, running Win2k & 512MB of SD-RAM (with onboard graphics). Which means this VIA chip is next to useless unless I can find the appropriate board... There's always that original one which came with the CPU, but I wasn't going to keep it. About the same as Asus TUSI-M, mATX without the AGP interface & couple of blown caps. In fact, the system wasn't powering up to begin with, so I'm not too optimistic but I'm willing to give it a try... In the words of Star Trek, "To Be Continued..."

I don't even know the capacity of this thing!
6.4GBmax. But it could be config'd for a legacy system which would give 4.3GB. It even had an AT mode which would render 2.1GB. It all depended on the C/H/S settings the bios is question supported. Quantum's drive config's were very flexible, which is why they were so popular among certain circles.

Interestingly though, it is missing a GPU fan/heatsink.
That card desperately needs cooling. It will fry without it. You can get a good kit for a decent price these days. Definitely slap on a temp H/S and boot test it before investing any money into it..

this model appears to be VIA C3 1.0AGHz, in 100 x 10.0 configuration. I would appreciate more info on this chip here
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/C3/VIA-C3-1.0AGHz EBGA.html

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
6.4GBmax. But it could be config'd for a legacy system which would give 4.3GB. It even had an AT mode which would render 2.1GB. It all depended on the C/H/S settings the bios is question supported. Quantum's drive config's were very flexible, which is why they were so popular among certain circles.
So, what you are saying is that ALL Bigfoot drives in this (CY) series are up to 6.4GB in storage (depending on a jumper & BIOS config)? Because I assumed that some units were 4.3 or less, due to hardware (physical capacity), where the better ones would have been 6.4GB

That card desperately needs cooling. It will fry without it. You can get a good kit for a decent price these days. Definitely slap on a temp H/S and boot test it before investing any money into it..
I would agree on this one, but I think you're over reacting ;) These things usually had a passive cooler and/or a small heatsink fan, nothing more. In fact, these things usually have the same kind of cooling as TNT2 Pro, even M64 so I don't think it would fry without one. It certainly wouldn't help running the GPU without one, that's for sure but for as long as you're not using it 24/7 and/or playing games, it should run OK without the heatsink. With that being said, I got couple of those small, GPU heatsinks laying around, so I might give them a try :)
Here you can see two GeForce2 MX cards, MX200 & MX400 both with their original heatsinks & fans.

Yup, that's the one. Except according to online database, mine claims to be Ezra-T, and not Nehemiah which has the bus speed of 133MHz (mine is 100MHz)

So, what you are saying is that ALL Bigfoot drives in this (CY) series are up to 6.4GB in storage (depending on a jumper & BIOS config)? Because I assumed that some units were 4.3 or less, due to hardware (physical capacity), where the better ones would have been 6.4GB
Was referring to the 6.4GB model. If it were less then the printed information would be reflected as such, IIRC. So if it were one of the 3.2GB models it would be 3.2GB then 2.1GB and then 1.6GB respectively in the C/H/S configs. I might be remembering wrong(it's been 20 years after all), but I'm pretty sure that's the way it worked. I bought a pair of those drives back then and in my system the full 6.4GB was available, but in my wife's system only 4.3 because her system was an older one with an older bios. Later when we upgraded her system and reformatted all of it was there. Old school systems were often squirrelly like that. Ah the memories..

Last edited:
Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Was referring to the 6.4GB model. If it were less then the printed information would be reflected as such, IIRC. So if it were one of the 3.2GB models it would be 3.2GB then 2.1GB and then 1.6GB respectively in the C/H/S configs. I might might be remembering wrong(it's been 20 years after all), but I'm pretty sure that's the way it worked. I bought a pair of those drives back then and in my system the full 6.4GB was available, but in my wife's system only 4.3 because her system was an older one with an older bios. Later when we upgraded her system and reformatted all of it was there. Old school systems were often squirrelly like that. Ah the memories..
Wait, are you saying there's a printed capacity info on the unit itself? Because I looked all over for anything that could help me with capacity &/or model number & couldn't come up with anything. Just that it's CY model, "Quantum Bigfoot, 5.25" series"

Wait, are you saying there's a printed capacity info on the unit itself? Because I looked all over for anything that could help me with capacity &/or model number & couldn't come up with anything. Just that it's CY model, "Quantum Bigfoot, 5.25" series"
Yup, it's in the picture you provided above, right under "Power Req: 5/12V". That's what reminded me.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Was referring to the 6.4GB model. If it were less then the printed information would be reflected as such, IIRC. So if it were one of the 3.2GB models it would be 3.2GB then 2.1GB and then 1.6GB respectively in the C/H/S configs. I might be remembering wrong(it's been 20 years after all), but I'm pretty sure that's the way it worked. I bought a pair of those drives back then and in my system the full 6.4GB was available, but in my wife's system only 4.3 because her system was an older one with an older bios. Later when we upgraded her system and reformatted all of it was there. Old school systems were often squirrelly like that. Ah the memories..
The CY Bigfoot were series #2 and had 2gb platters. So came in 2gb, 4gb, or 6gb models. Triple platter added extra weight and put more stress on the bearings. Big reason the 6gb were so delicate.
The forth and final series, TS, were known to be loud and came in sizes up to 19gb. They had a shock protection system in an attempt to make them less delicate. By that time data densities had allowed 3.5" drives to reach ever larger capacities making 5.25" obsolete. Which is why the CY series was basically height of Bigfoot popularity.

Remembering the very first HDD that I ever owned back in late 1998. A 3.5" IBM 12.9gb. Friends were amazed at the size and transfer speeds. Still works. :)

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
P_20180514_191028.jpg

No label on the drive but there is the above. I tried looking up that VIA CPU but I didn't have any time to make a post until yesterday.

The corrosion on exterior looks like it has mold.

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Yup, it's in the picture you provided above, right under "Power Req: 5/12V". That's what reminded me.
Right, I saw that but figured it was a "general" info which applies to all 3 models of Bigfoot drives, 2.4, 4.3 & 6.4GB models. It never occurred me that it's the SAME drive, but in different configuration... Thanks! :toast:

The CY Bigfoot were series #2 and had 2gb platters. So came in 2gb, 4gb, or 6gb models. Triple platter added extra weight and put more stress on the bearings. Big reason the 6gb were so delicate.
The forth and final series, TS, were known to be loud and came in sizes up to 19gb. They had a shock protection system in an attempt to make them less delicate. By that time data densities had allowed 3.5" drives to reach ever larger capacities making 5.25" obsolete. Which is why the CY series was basically height of Bigfoot popularity.

Remembering the very first HDD that I ever owned back in late 1998. A 3.5" IBM 12.9gb. Friends were amazed at the size and transfer speeds. Still works. :)
Right, got that. In fact, "CY" marking was the only specific name/value I could find, other than company name & product line :) Guess I'm used to modern drives where it specifically says something like "Capacity: 40.00GB" or something along those lines. And to tell you the truth, I don't have ANY expectations for this thing, it's most likely going to be dead or full of bad sectors. But I'm probably going to keep it anyway as it makes interesting display & conversation piece, even in this sorry & rusty state :(

One thing I've noticed is that Bigfoot drives are much thinner than what I expected. In fact, they appear to be thin enough for TWO units to fit inside ONE 5.25" bay, with one drive mounted on upper level & one mounted on the lower.
View attachment 101059

No label on the drive but there is the above. I tried looking up that VIA CPU but I didn't have any time to make a post until yesterday.

The corrosion on exterior looks like it has mold.
I don't think it's mold, because I tried cleaning the drive & it didn't work. In fact, I only ended up erasing, wiping off "CY" label, so I guess you could say I only made it even worse lol. But yeah, this thing is just banged up & very rusty. It was probably abandoned & left in some garage or storage over the last 20-ish years so I'll be VERY surprised if this thing boots up & loads anything! :eek:

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Chances are that Bigfoot drive is in better shape than this 1957 Plymouth Belvedere car after sitting in a vault untouched for 50 years.

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Chances are that Bigfoot drive is in better shape than this 1957 Plymouth Belvedere car after sitting in a vault untouched for 50 years.
Wow, this is just great... :kookoo: They've buried the car underground hoping it wouldn't rot or rust, because it was wrapped into a huge plastic bag?! Such a waste :(

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Wow, this is just great... :kookoo: They've buried the car underground hoping it wouldn't rot or rust, because it was wrapped into a huge plastic bag?! Such a waste :(
If the reinforced concrete vault hadn't sprung a leak from ground water it's possible. Hard to believe the concrete was suppose to be capable of withstanding a nuclear blast.

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Are you kidding me?! This thing probably wouldn't withstand even a smaller surface detonation, not to mention a full nuclear blast! In fact, I had a basement storage room in my old apt. building that was built deeper underground than Belvedere!

As for the concrete alone, it can NOT keep the water out ... or in! Something they obviously didn't take into consideration when they designed this time capsule (even though ppl obviously had swimming pools back then & were facing the similar problem when constructing one, so you would expect them to know this)