1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Transfer RAID 0

Discussion in 'Storage' started by ERazer, Aug 10, 2010.

1. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    i got 7200.11 in raid0 and im getting new HD's (x2 WD black) and planning to raid it again, is ther a way to transfer/clone my old to new, im keeping everything the same.

2. mordant80 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're probly not gonna want to run the WD Blacks in raid.. They are known drop from raid arrays. There was a fix for some of the blacks, but I read some of the newer ones can't be fixed. Can't remember exactly what the feature WD disabled on those drives is called that makes them act like that. But WD offers a raid edition drive that works fine in raids.

But for your question, yes.. just set up another seperate array and clone it with acronis or something.

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    That was the WD Green drives with that issue, and the feature they disabled was the head park feature, or rather they made it less agreessive so the drives did it less. The delay to un-park the heads caused some RAID arrays to incorrectly detect the drive as failed or failing.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. mordant80 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ERazer says thanks.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you currently only have the two drives in raid, it will be a pain but doable. First you will have to install one of your new WD drives (as a single drive) and copy everything over to that. Then you will have to take one of your old drives that was in raid and copy things over to that drive. Then setup your new drives in raid and copy things back over again.

ERazer says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Ah, I wasn't aware the Blacks had issues also...I guess this is why I avoid WD drives...

Not necessarily, he can just create a second RAID0 array with the new drives along side the RAID0 array of the old drives. Then clone the first array to the second using something like Acronis. Then remove the old drives and delete the old array.

ERazer says thanks.
  7. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it is like mordant 80 said, WD removed TLER to try and force people people to buy the Enterprise drives for RAID. There are all kinds of angry reviews on Newegg about it. I was going to buy a couple Black drives for RAID until I read about it.

Erazer, there is a free Acronis TrueImage WD Edition on their website that makes it really easy to copy from drive to drive.

ERazer says thanks.
  8. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    Ty for reply guys. gonna try Acronis, worse case i have to reinstall win7, its just pain in the a$$ reinstalling everything

and about wd black in raid thats lil concerning but will cross the bridge when i get ther hopefully it works tho

9. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
  10. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Click "Read all reviews" and in the "Filter Results" box type in "TLER".

It seems that it sometimes depends on how old the drive is. At some point WD disabled the feature in the firmware. Some people were getting drives with older firmware that had TLER support. I don't know though, I won't claim to be any kind of a RAID expert so I don't know how big of deal it really is.

Personally I love my single (non-RAID) Black drive.

11. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    ahh crap, thats the only reason i bought this drives, that wat i get not doing the research :nutkick::banghead: ohh well if doesnt work guess ill do refund and get f3, pls dont tell me we got raid issue on that one also

12. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    just quick update, i was concern i wont able to raid my new WD black but it works great :toast: now to clone it :banghead:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    Success! great drive just lil noisy. ty for all the help :toast:

14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully they keep working for you, the problems with them seem to start after a while, not right away, so I wouldn't put anything super important on them for a while.

15. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    its my gaming rig so ill be okay :D

16. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Cool! I'm glad to hear the are working well. :) They really are nice drives.

17. mordant80 New Member

Thanks Received:
    since they're the 640gb drives.. even if you do start to have trouble down the road, you "should" be able to use a utility to enable TLER if it's disabled.. some of the drives it comes disabled, but can be enabled.. some drives it can't even be enabled on. I think the ones that can't be enabled are mainly the newest 1tb drives.

The symptom of the issue is you'll have a drive just drop from the raid for no apparent good reason.

18. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Something to do with mismatched error correction times.........most mobo's RAID controllers have a short error correction time...and the WD Blacks with TLER turned off can take up to 2 mins to correct issues......so the controller gives it's alotted time.......but the drive doesn't seem to respond.....and is dropped from the array.

It "should" only happen if the drive develops errors......but if the drive does....then it'll be dropped when it doesn't respond in the time frame of the Mobo's RAID controller error correction time frame.

That's the skinny I've been able to get perusing the web anyway. :)

No Issues for me and my WD Blacks in RAID 0 though.....so far. :)

Hope it helps some.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    ERazer says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU