• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TrendForce: TSMC to Mass-Produce Select Intel Products, CPUs Starting 2021

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
Yes I do.

Invasion by China would literally destroy the CPU (and other component) market, drive prices somewhere halfway between Earth and Sun and potentially give China control over said market (if Taiwan does not destroy factories, in which case bye bye new CPUs for years (literally)). There are far from enough fabs outside Taiwan to offset this and new ones are built slowly and sparingly.
Not to mention the whole nasty business that is war...

Let me correct this for you .... YOU THINK you do .... but you factually don't !

See this is the trully fascinating part with you or so to say peoples like you , this persistence to believe into distorted realities while on the same breath rejecting the only and one factual reality . Let's enter into your distorted reality and asume that indeed China does invades Taiwan , please tell me now : What in this world makes you think that it's in Chinas interest to change anything to how current Taiwanese governance does business with the rest of the world ? It's not like mainlad China is already the biggest supplier of this world and does already business with the rest of the world in perfectly fine and respectable terms .... right ... RIGHT ????

Do you even sense how delusional and out of touch with reality your perception of the world is ? Of course you don't , otherwise you wouldn't be here making this ludicrous arguments !

Oh yes I do have a point. Does your "USA bad, NSA is spying on us all, it is all propaganda about China" thropes have a point? Well, others can decide that, but I do not think so.

Did that guy just called factual events such as NSA spying on the entire world and forcing American tech companies to implement backdoors in their products , ... '' thropes '' .... :roll::roll::roll: right you heard it here folks , NSA spying is just fake news . This last sentence of yours put's the final nail on this argument coffin , i can't argue with peoples who reject facts !

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
If that's true, it is simply the admition of defeat on the manufacturing aspect that forced them to do this move.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
@RH92 You're clearly utterly clueless when it comes to Taiwan and what's going on so please, stop.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
"According to a market analysis from TrendForce, Intel's manufacturing efforts with TSMC will go way beyond a potential TSMC technology licensing for that company's manufacturing technology to be employed in Intel's own fabs. The market research firm says that Intel will instead procure wafers directly from TSMC, starting on 2H2021, in the order of 20-25% of total production for some of its non-CPU products. But the manufacturing deal is said to go beyond that, with TSMC picking up orders for Intel's Core i3 CPUs in the company's 5 nm manufacturing node - one that Intel will take years to scale down to on its own manufacturing capabilities."

What so Tsmc making intel chips is a step beyond Tsmc passing intel it's 7nm and beyond processes for use in its fabs ?!, Err no, while costly and embarrassing, buying chips off Tsmc will be considerably cheaper and and much smaller crazy step than Tsmc passing intel it's advantage.

I'm calling balls on it, trendforce are guessing, and getting it wrong ,Tsmc may make GPU for intel but I can't see CPU going there, unless intel go chiplet emib style on i3 and below and gave up using lower bins for them, causing Intel's wastages to increase or it can't happen.

Mostly based on wastage argument, where do they then sell their shit.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Let me correct this for you ....
I have nothing else to say to you. If you are unaware how big businesses are run in China including foreign ones, or what the fact of invasion itself would mean and lead to, then there is no point in discussing it.

Given Taiwan has one big "friendly neighbor" I would be very careful with moving production there..

Most companies are full of greedy execs.

In point of fact, they have a legal fiduciary responsibility to maximize shareholder value. If you think Samsung, AMD, TSMC, etc etc are any different you are misguided.

The problem with Intel is that they were short-sighted, and in the end that led to a failure to maximize shareholder value. That resulted in the ouster of the old CEO and eventually several VPs over technology areas.

As far as AMD goes, they are not the ones that are beating Intel. TSMC is doing that. There is a big distinction there.

I pointed out at one time it would be interesting if Intel simply sucked up a big chunk of TSMCs capacity. AMD does not own fabs or process tech. Intel can outbid them, as can Apple and Qualcomm. Intel can also outproduce TSMC, who is not dedicated to AMD.

It sounds like ever increasing pricing pressure on AMD's ability to have someone fab their products is going to be real.

I also pointed out that Nvidia going with Samsung was genius. A lot of people laughed at that, because Samsung 8nm is inferior to TSMC 7nm.

Well, they're not laughing now. Nvidia is in a great spot with Samsung, who has tremendous production capacity with the capital, manpower, and skill to bring much more online. AMD, not so much, just a lot of paper launches and no production capacity.
I would say that Samsung is one of few companies where "greed" isnt the main motivator, or at least not only one. Or they unlike most of the greedy morons think about very long game, instead of instant profits. Either way, less stupid than most. Usually. They make some horrible flops now and then.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
Annnd another thread somehow turned political :toast:

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB and Toshiba N300 NAS 10TB HDD
Display(s) 2X LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Given Taiwan has one big "friendly neighbor" I would be very careful with moving production there..

I would say that Samsung is one of few companies where "greed" isnt the main motivator, or at least not only one. Or they unlike most of the greedy morons think about very long game, instead of instant profits. Either way, less stupid than most. Usually. They make some horrible flops now and then.

I agree with that about Samsung. It is full of lifers, meaning people devoted to the company, and such people think medium and long term.

I tried to look up what Samsung was worth a while back. It's not one company, it's a Korean conglomerate, and it's absolutely enormous. Its real name is "Samsung Group". And by enormous, I'm not talking Intel or TSMC huge, it's way bigger than that. Outside of tech that bears its name of "Samsung Electronics", Samsung is into advertising, construction, medicine and health care, shipbuilding, retail, hospitality, financial services - and the list goes on. Samsung owns amusement partks. Samsung makes apartment complexes. Samsung has built powerplants, including a nuclear power complex in the UAE.

It's so big, I was unable to determine how much it really brings in as revenue. There are 59 Samsung subsidiaries outside of Korea that are not part of the reported official revenue.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
This is not good for anyone. TSMC are too powerful, and yet too small at the same time. The effect of any large scale problems at its FAB would have very serious repercussions for the entire tech industry and beyond. I hope they have some serious expansion plans, ready to go very soon, as they are already unable to meet demand, let alone when Intel starts ordering hundreds of thousands of wafers per month.

But this sure is a testament to how far Intel have fallen.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
At equivalent process node, AMD cannot compete. How long did it take for AMD to finally dethrone Skylake? F for AMD.

You seem to forget that Intel is worth 136 billion and AMD is only worth 6 billion, that means Intel has 2300% more financial resources than AMD and even 1000% more staff....the fact that AMD is able to not only compete, but win on such a comparatively shoestring budget is perhaps the most impressive feat in semi-conductors at present.

Either way, I wish AMD would have been able to capture more marketshare in mobile and enterprise before Intel started outsourcing, so that when Intel did begin outsourcing, AMD would be in a much stronger position to fight them. It's in everyone's best interests that AMD grows, and grows quickly otherwise we could be facing the same abysmal 5% performance increases year over year and innovation stagnation like we did before Zen.... And I will just give up on computers, and switch to ARM devices and consoles if Intel becomes the monoculture again. In a way, I wish Intel couldn't buy from TSMC and would be forced to lay in the bed they made for themselves... At least until AMD controlled 50% of the T.A.M. across all segments, then they could go to war, but I'm legitimately afraid of AMD being squeezed out again.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
You seem to forget that Intel is worth 136 billion and AMD is only worth 6 billion, that means Intel has 2300% more financial resources than AMD and even 1000% more staff....the fact that AMD is able to not only compete, but win on such a comparatively shoestring budget is perhaps the most impressive feat in semi-conductors at present.

Either way, I wish AMD would have been able to capture more marketshare in mobile and enterprise before Intel started outsourcing, so that when Intel did begin outsourcing, AMD would be in a much stronger position to fight them. It's in everyone's best interests that AMD grows, and grows quickly otherwise we could be facing the same abysmal 5% performance increases year over year and innovation stagnation like we did before Zen.... And I will just give up on computers, and switch to ARM devices and consoles if Intel becomes the monoculture again. In a way, I wish Intel couldn't buy from TSMC and would be forced to lay in the bed they made for themselves... At least until AMD controlled 50% of the T.A.M. across all segments, then they could go to war, but I'm legitimately afraid of AMD being squeezed out again.
Nonsense.

AMD's market cap is 110.38 billion this morning, meaning they are worth 110.38 billion.
AMD - Stock quote for ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES, INC. - MSN Money

Intel's market cap is 233.38 billion this morning, meaning they are worth 233.38 billion.

INTC - Stock quote for INTEL CORPORATION - MSN Money

AMD was worth the money you are talking about around 5 years ago after deciding to go fabless generating true gains with Zen1. The only company getting squeezed out currently is Intel. Apple controls the lion's share of fabs at TSMC, followed by Nvidia and AMD. Intel has needed to go semi fabless for some time now, just like AMD when they were stuck at fabs with 32nm.

TSMCs growth and fab shrinks are directly related to Apple. Apple dwarfs these other company in purchases from TSMC. Apple could purchase TSMC for their own manufacturing purchases (albeit one of the largest purchases ever made), but companies are trending away from fabbing.

Last edited:
I was laughed at when I suggested this!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-14 195938.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-14 195938.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 58
System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
Nonsense.

AMD's market cap is 110.38 billion this morning, meaning they are worth 110.38 billion.
AMD - Stock quote for ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES, INC. - MSN Money

Intel's market cap is 233.38 billion this morning, meaning they are worth 233.38 billion.

INTC - Stock quote for INTEL CORPORATION - MSN Money

AMD was worth the money you are talking about around 5 years ago after deciding to go fabless generating true gains with Zen1. The only company getting squeezed out currently is Intel. Apple controls the lion's share of fabs at TSMC, followed by Nvidia and AMD. Intel has needed to go semi fabless for some time now, just like AMD when they were stuck at fabs with 32nm.

TSMCs growth and fab shrinks are directly related to Apple. Apple dwarfs these other company in purchases from TSMC. Apple could purchase TSMC for their own manufacturing purchases (albeit one of the largest purchases ever made), but companies are trending away from fabbing.

Market cap just means what the stock is worth. A lot of that is perception. Feelings about future growth potential and so on, not necessarily connected to reality.

Hard assets are different matter. This is the value of AMD and Intel's hard assets as of the end of 2019, in milllions :

Intel :
1610678776588.png

AMD:
1610678794049.png

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Market cap just means what the stock is worth. A lot of that is perception. Feelings about future growth potential and so on, not necessarily connected to reality.

Hard assets are different matter. This is the value of AMD and Intel's hard assets as of the end of 2019, in milllions :

Intel :
View attachment 184075

AMD:
View attachment 184076

When you're asking how much a publicly traded company is worth, you don't speak in terms of their assets. You speak in terms of their market capitalization.

There is no perception. Shares x share price.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
When you're asking how much a publicly traded company is worth, you don't speak in terms of their assets. You speak in terms of their market capitalization.

There is no perception. Shares x share price.

The person you were responding to said "..You seem to forget that Intel is worth 136 billion and AMD is only worth 6 billion, that means Intel has 2300% more financial resources than AMD"

That is a correct statement as financial resources have little to do with the stock price. Intel literally has 6X the cash and cash equivalents than all of AMDs hard assets combined - meaning they can pull $36B together in a week or so.

AMD can't do that except by running the presses and making more stock, which would dilute their share price and most likely tank the stock they're selling.

So yes there *is* a difference between "funny money" aka stock valuations and cold hard assets.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
The person you were responding to said "..You seem to forget that Intel is worth 136 billion and AMD is only worth 6 billion, that means Intel has 2300% more financial resources than AMD"

That is a correct statement as financial resources have little to do with the stock price. Intel literally has 6X the cash and cash equivalents than all of AMDs hard assets combined - meaning they can pull $36B together in a week or so.

AMD can't do that except by running the presses and making more stock, which would dilute their share price and most likely tank the stock they're selling.

So yes there *is* a difference between "funny money" aka stock valuations and cold hard assets.
A company’s worth on the market is not determined by cash on hand, investors would argue a good chunk isn’t their’s anyway. There is no way to possibly spin that. He said AMD is worth 6 billion, if AMD were worth 6 billion they would be gobbled up.

Cash on hand resources, assets, and employee counts are fine when trying to say Intel is a behemoth over AMD. However from a market worth standpoint, the comparison doesn’t work.

If you want to claim to me there is volatility in Market Capitalization , fair, but the number is still the gauge of the company worth.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
A company’s worth on the market is not determined by cash on hand, investors would argue a good chunk isn’t their’s anyway. There is no way to possibly spin that. He said AMD is worth 6 billion, if AMD were worth 6 billion they would be gobbled up.

Cash on hand resources, assets, and employee counts are fine when trying to say Intel is a behemoth over AMD. However from a market worth standpoint, the comparison doesn’t work.

If you want to claim to me there is volatility in Market Capitalization , fair, but the number is still the gauge of the company worth.

You missed the point, again. Intel has far more resources to bring to bear, regardless of the bean counter "market cap" thought process you are talking about.

If Intel and AMD get into a bidding war for TSMC fab capacity, Intel will win, and it won't even break a sweat doing it. Intel has more resources, period.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
You missed the point, again. Intel has far more resources to bring to bear, regardless of the bean counter "market cap" thought process you are talking about.

If Intel and AMD get into a bidding war for TSMC fab capacity, Intel will win, and it won't even break a sweat doing it. Intel has more resources, period.
The point was understood and wasn’t missed. I have not argued against this.

The data provided during explanation was incorrect by the OP I responded to, and yourself. The market worth comment both of you provided was incorrect data.

If you want to talk about a bidding war TSMC for fab space, you don’t reference company overall worth to assess their realistic bidding power. Intel isn’t going to go all in just to win a bidding war at TSMC for fab space where they either fold or win. They will use realistic capital on hand.

Last edited:
System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
The point was understood and wasn’t missed. I have not argued against this.

The data provided during explanation was incorrect by the OP I responded to, and yourself. The market worth comment both of you provided was incorrect data.

If you want to talk about a bidding war TSMC for fab space, you don’t reference company overall worth to assess their realistic bidding power. Intel isn’t going to go all in just to win a bidding war at TSMC for fab space where they either fold or win. They will use realistic capital on hand.

He clearly states "Intel has 2300% more financial resources". This is 100% completely true statement and in context is talking about how much money, people, and materials Intel can bring to bear.

You're nit-picking the meaning of the word "worth". In terms of resources, stock market valuation means nothing, and whether "worth" means actual *assets* vs *stock market valuation* is highly debatable. If you were to shut down and liquidate AMD, you'd maybe get that $6B, whereas with Intel you'd probably get that $136B. Stock values are highly subjective, actual financial resources are not.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
He clearly states "Intel has 2300% more financial resources". This is 100% completely true statement and in context is talking about how much money, people, and materials Intel can bring to bear.

You're nit-picking the meaning of the word "worth". In terms of resources, stock market valuation means nothing, and whether "worth" means actual *assets* vs *stock market valuation* is highly debatable. If you were to shut down and liquidate AMD, you'd maybe get that $6B, whereas with Intel you'd probably get that $136B. Stock values are highly subjective, actual financial resources are not.

Financial resources does not equal company worth. The company worth is the market capitalization. That's exactly what I said in my original reply. You are nit picking my words. You've reframed your argument twice since your original post. First it was market cap isn't company worth. Then it was no, he intended to say financial resources.

Further, your argument is poor. Neither company is going to do the scenarios you are trying to present. Mainly you've just reframed to get a talking point about financial resources.