• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[US] TrendNet TEW-811DRU AC1200 Router $20 till 7/20

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
But for $20 bucks, whats to lose..

lol, $20 bucks.
i guess to be specific, my question is , do they require modification to make them "worth while" ?

mat

lol, $20 bucks.
i guess to be specific, my question is , do they require modification to make them "worth while" ?

Not really. I forget, but the numbers are in this thread. It can run hotter than most would like, so some of us redo the heatsinks just because we know that cooler always equals longer life. Plus the ability to overclock and such...

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Looks good. But I get great range, as is on a single floor. At least as good as a dd-wrt jacked up wr54g with it's external antennas. So I don't think I could call them garbage.

Wonder if you'll see any improvement with dd-wrt and a jacked up output. Because I didn't with the stock internal. Or at least not enough to justify running it extra hard..

I'm not saying the routers are garbage, I'm saying the original heatsinks are garbage.

I saw this router on ne this am,and the reviews are dogshit..are you guys saying its a good buy? Cuz i was curious,since the start of this thread last year...and since its on sale again,i thought f it,maybe il get it.

Wireless range is bad with the stock antennas, especially if you are going through thick walls, or a floor. They also run warm. The stock firmware was "meh" at best, but loading DD-WRT on them makes them stable and unlocks plenty of options. Make sure you get the latest version of DD-WRT from the download section, not the version linked to from the TEW-811 page. The latest version is under the betas area, and it works much better than the old version DD-WRT's website lists on the TEW-811 page.

lol, $20 bucks.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you live in a medium size home, with multiple floors, don't expect one of these to cover the whole house. I'd say it is fine for a single story smaller home, or an apartment. It will fit those uses just fine without any modification. It is also a pretty solid wired router w/ NAS functions as well if you prefer wired and just use wireless for minor web-browsing on a laptop or cellphones.

I use mine now as cheap access points to extend my wireless coverage in my house. They are awesome for that as well.

phorce1

Here is an overview of it all installed:

For some reason none of your images are loading for me. Images from messages prior to today are there (probably cached) but the Chrome loading wheel is just going 'round and 'round as I sit on this page. {grrr} ;-)

------- EDIT -------
Wait, they're on "tpuminecraft.servebeer.com"? Why would you put them on a DYNDNS home machine instead of hosting them somewhere?

Last edited:
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
with multiple floors, don't expect one of these to cover the whole house.

yeah, my home is 3 floors, and i like range into the yard as well. i read your posts on modding the antennas , nice. ive been watching the thread sine it was opened last year iirc, and have been curious.
ill likely be going for an asus, or similar N router.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Wait, they're on "tpuminecraft.servebeer.com"? Why would you put them on a DYNDNS home machine instead of hosting them somewhere?

I switched to hosting images myself years ago for several reasons:
1.) All the free hosts either have stupidly low file size limits, or put ugly watermarks on the pictures.
2.) A lot of the free hosts do other annoying shit, like not let you hotlink to the image or embed the image in posts or link directly to the picture instead taking you to a landing page with advertisements.
3.) I've found hosting it myself is usually more reliable than hosting it through most free services.
4.) Just because I'm using a DynDNS doesn't mean it is on a home connection. It is on a very stable corporate internet connection on a very stable server with a static IP. I only use a DynDNS because I'm too cheap to buy a proper domain name.
5.) I've got 25Mbps upload, I might as well use it for something.
6.) I like being in control of my own content.

yeah, my home is 3 floors, and i like range into the yard as well. i read your posts on modding the antennas , nice. ive been watching the thread sine it was opened last year iirc, and have been curious.
ill likely be going for an asus, or similar N router.

Honestly, I'd go for an AC ASUS router. My main router is the RT-AC66U(well a RT-AC66R, but exact same router). It is in the basement, and does manage to cover my entire house(basement, ground floor, and 2nd floor). However, the coverage is a little weak on the 2nd floor. That is why I opted to pick two of these TEW-811 routers up and use them as access points for each floor. They easily cover a floor, but they just don't go between floors that well, or through outside walls/concrete walls. The one I did the antenna mod on was actually a relatives. They use it as their only router, and were having issues connecting to it from their bedroom one floor up from the router. The antennas fixed their problem.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
I still haven't taken the other one out of the box, but I just about want a second one. Those antenna mod photos are much appreciated. Kind of crazy to think that those antennas increase the cost by 50% though.
1.) All the free hosts either have stupidly low file size limits, or put ugly watermarks on the pictures.
2.) A lot of the free hosts do other annoying shit, like not let you hotlink to the image or embed the image in posts or link directly to the picture instead taking you to a landing page with advertisements.
3.) I've found hosting it myself is usually more reliable than hosting it through most free services.
4.) Just because I'm using a DynDNS doesn't mean it is on a home connection. It is on a very stable corporate internet connection on a very stable server with a static IP. I only use a DynDNS because I'm too cheap to buy a proper domain name.
All valid and understandable reasons. I've done hosting on my own home connection for similar reasons. These days, I try to keep the images hosted on a server related to where I'm posting them, the idea being that the content will move with the server. Too many times I've seen issues with photobucket items either being moved or exceeding bandwidth. TPU hosting is pretty nice in this regard.

phorce1

I host most of my images on a T-1 connected machine in an office where I work. I have domain names I've owned for years though. I couldn't even suggest an image hosting service because I haven't investigated it in so long. I assumed home box because the images weren't loading combined with the dyndns domain name. They loaded when I came back this time (or maybe sometime between that post and now because I left he page open).

Thanks for he detailed images. I've done a heatsink mod but no antenna mod yet. Haven't any of mine into service even, no time to futz with a working setup at the house just to squeeze out a little more speed or distance.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
lol, $20 bucks.

Not as a main router for a home or office or access point if range is critical. I may mod mine with antennas line Newtekie did and test. Though not sure if its really worth dumping more $$ into.

Mine is setup as my hotel/travel/spare test lab router. Mostly hotel/travel as I have a virtual pfSense router for test lab stuff on my network.

It works well enough but in testing is easy to overload...for many light hone users its fine. But it runs hot, has so-so reception, and has super shitty stock firmware. DD-WRT is limited on this device due to the weaker chipset and very limited memory.

Its a fun little device for a minute but mine catches more dust than use. I guess to answer your question...i see where folks have modified cooling and antennas with limited success but it won't compete with a $80+ Asus router even with $30-40 worth of mods. This is a cheap device that is something to tinker with and keep cheap...not worth investing much into.

If you want a super cheap drop-in spare for an emergency situation or quick and dirty network for a business or personal travel situation I feel that is the niche this device fills well. Though I know a few folks relying on these daily and they have not failed (that I recall...shits a little cloudy due to the post operation meds lol)...one bricked during a firmware flash but that's a standard risk.

That's my 2 cents on this device. :toast:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I host most of my images on a T-1 connected machine in an office where I work. I have domain names I've owned for years though. I couldn't even suggest an image hosting service because I haven't investigated it in so long. I assumed home box because the images weren't loading combined with the dyndns domain name. They loaded when I came back this time (or maybe sometime between that post and now because I left he page open).

That is a bug I've been trying to track down actually. Sometimes, particularly with chrome, it takes the pictures a while to load. Like Chrome is having problems resolving the DynDNS address or something. It might be an issue with apache too, I need to update it to the latest version. I host off a 105/25Mbps Comcast connection. Though we're looking to upgrade to the 2000/2000Mbps fiber connection they just rolled out in our area, it's only $300 a month but the installation is $5,000... Trying to justify that big of an outlay for something you don't need at all but really really want is a hard sell.

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...052816-Index-_-WirelessRouters-_-33320192-S0A

normally $130, with PRomo code
MAYEJGM22
$89 , then after MIR $79. looks to be a decent router for those interested, Memorial day weekend only.
sorry off topic, but thought it fit with the router topic.
ASUS RT-AC66W Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router

anyone have experience with this router? i might order one if its a good buy.
*edit* i ordered one, F' it.

Last edited:

phorce1

That is a bug I've been trying to track down actually. Sometimes, particularly with chrome, it takes the pictures a while to load. Like Chrome is having problems resolving the DynDNS address or something. It might be an issue with apache too, I need to update it to the latest version. I host off a 105/25Mbps Comcast connection.

I'm at home now and it's doing the same thing on Chrome here and ALSO on FireFox 40.0.3. Time Warner 50Mbit down connection here at the house. The work machine I do personal browsing with is on a 6Mbit down DSL connection. The loading spinner is just continually going with no images showing up.

I'll leave FF open until they load then I'll reload the Chrome page to see if they show up. That'll point to if it's DNS or browser specific.

mat

Anyone ever hear of PM's? Not wanting to unsubscribe in case any new comers have a question I can help them with... or a innovation I might want to try...

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...052816-Index-_-WirelessRouters-_-33320192-S0A

MAYEJGM22
$89 , then after MIR $79. looks to be a decent router for those interested, Memorial day weekend only.

Just the white version of my AC66R which is just a Refurbished version which I've had for years now.

I recommend flashing Merlin on it ASAP, makes a noticeable difference. With factory firmware I had a couple of issues, most notably a WAN port DHCP issue. When trying to get an IP address from my Charter's provisioned cable modem, I would have to reboot multiple times and usually would have to get pissed before it would finally get an IP address (known issue with these and some DHCP servers from ISP-side). What ended up working was hooking a PC or laptop directly to the cable modem to pull and IP address then hooking up the router...and after 1-2 tries I could usually resolve an IP address. Merlin features an aggressive mode which takes care of that issue straight away, the firmware will look just like the factory AsusWRT firmware because it is a modified version.

Merlin provides more information and capability to the router without getting too ridiculous. It is a good balance for a home-user. Sure a $70 UBNT AP with no external antennas will blow this router away wireless range and signal quality-wise, but as a home-grade router, the AC66 series is a pretty solid option, especially at that price. As I said before, I use mine as a wireless access point for my house and it does an excellent job. If you need any help, let me know and I'll be happy to assist.

That Asus router will run circles and circles and more circles around the Trendnet, no contest...but that should be expected. With the money saved from the sale though, it might not hurt to grab one of these and set it up exactly how you setup the Asus for your network...so should an issue arise, you have a drop-in quick fix that will keep your house going while you fix any issues.

I'm gonna pull my Trendnet off the shelf and upgrade the DD-WRT firmware on it today at some point. I meant to do that a month or two ago...haven't since December. Figure it's past due..I believe there is a March release not sure if there's newer yet.

@newtekie1 Not sure if you replied to my original inquiry and I didn't read it, but did you do a signal test by chance after your antenna mod? Not sure if I said so before, but you did a nice job of keeping it clean. :toast:

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Anyone ever hear of PM's? Not wanting to unsubscribe in case any new comers have a question I can help them with... or a innovation I might want to try...
You could edit the notification settings to only notify u of specific posts,or comments/quotes.
If someone has a question ,im sure they wil quote you,or @ you.

@Kursah
Yea,it was a good deal,i should have it by tuesday.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

MAYEJGM22

Yep, it is my main home router currently. Well, the RT-AC66U, which is the same router but in black. I bet yours even shows up as a RT-AC66U in the firmware, and you use the same RT-AC66U firmware when you flash it too. It is a solid router with Merlin, DD-WRT, or Tomato.

mat

I'm thinking of a the house this year... and probably some more random crap...

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Yep, it is my main home router currently. Well, the RT-AC66U, which is the same router but in black. I bet yours even shows up as a RT-AC66U in the firmware, and you use the same RT-AC66U firmware when you flash it too. It is a solid router with Merlin, DD-WRT, or Tomato.
can You link me those firmwares? please.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
anything trendnet is not worth 2 dollars let alone 20

Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Storage 256GB SATA SSD 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Elite 130
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
anything trendnet is not worth 2 dollars let alone 20

Do you have a reason for that?

I've never had any problems with any of their products.

Processor Intel Core i9-13900K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI
Cooling Custom water
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6400 CL32
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 4090
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 Plus
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL (Dark Tint)
Power Supply SAMA XP1000W
Mouse DAREU EM901
Keyboard RK ROYAL KLUDGE RK100 (white with blue switches)
Deal is back. Use promo code EMCEKFK44. Valid till 6/22.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
I finally powered mine up when I started having issues with the Buffalo router I had. It's locked up once already, but seems pretty decent other than that. Managed to pick up some antennas and plan on modding it soon.

Still thinking about picking up a second just as an AP.