• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tried to change RAM but cannot POST (even with original back in)

Sproaty

Hi, my PC is fairly old (2014) and I'm replacing some components, have decided to just upgrade bits instead of a new mobo/RAM/CPU.

Mobo, Asus maximus ranger vii
PSU, corsair vs450
Cpu, i5 4690k stock
Ram, 8gb 1 stick of hyperx 1600mhz ddr3
Gpu, gtx 750ti

I ordered a GTX 1660 super and a set of 2x8gb hyperx 1866mhz sticks (ddr3). Have also ordered an i7 4790k which hasn't arrived yet.

I went to install the gfx card yesterday and after getting it into my system I realised that I didn't have a normal HDMI lead as the old card is a HDMI mini. So, I swapped the old card back. No problems and ran it overnight.

The RAM arrived today so I unplugged the system to fit. My cpu fan was stopping me from getting my current DIMM out so I took it off and then replaced the ram and added the other one. I noticed that the heat sink and fan were caked in dust so I removed as much as possible using a cotton bud and just blowing.

Replugged in my power cable and turned it back on but the system will not post. The cpu fan spins once and there is no "beep" or a noise of sort with the hardware firing up.

I removed the two new RAM sticks and have put the original back into the slot it was in originally. Still nothing.

There is power to the mobo as its LEDs are lit up, and given that the system was fully disconnected yesterday and booted makes me think I haven't killed the mobo.

I've tried clearing the CMOS with the dedicated button to do so with the PC off at the PSU but still plugged in.

I'm at a bit of a loss now. On the motherboard is a led with a number which I believe shows the progress of booting and can indicate issues but nothing is being shown here.

I'm not sure what I've done wrong. I did have trouble getting the RAM out initially with the CPU fan blocking it and I haven't long woken up so I should have probably waited a bit..

This would be the first time that the ram has been removed in this system. The slots on the board and look clean and no damage. Is it possible that my attempt to clean the dusty heatsink and fan has screwed something?

20200530_141827.jpg20200530_141804.jpg

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
Need to try a different PSU.
VS450 = super cheap. 6 years is about right for the average lifespan.

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
Did you reset the BIOS?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Make sure the power is inserted fully into the Motherboard, it may have been knocked loose.

Sproaty

Thanks everyone I will try these. I thought clearing the cmos is a bios reset. I can't power the system to see the bios screen.

I'm curious though how a new psu would solve it as I tried only new ram, I didn't actually turn the system on with my new graphics card fitted.

So yesterday I had the power cable unplugged from the psu and with the switch off while I tried to fit the graphics card, and after swapping back I was able to boot with no issue. The only change really has been to try the new ram, but I can't get any form of boot with even just the older ram stick installed into the same slot that it was in before.

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
Thanks everyone I will try these. I thought clearing the cmos is a bios reset. I can't power the system to see the bios screen.

I'm curious though how a new psu would solve it as I tried only new ram, I didn't actually turn the system on with my new graphics card fitted.

So yesterday I had the power cable unplugged from the psu and with the switch off while I tried to fit the graphics card, and after swapping back I was able to boot with no issue. The only change really has been to try the new ram, but I can't get any form of boot with even just the older ram stick installed into the same slot that it was in before.
Check also if the cooler is mounted correctly. Clearing the CMOS is a bios reset to default settings and it's the usual solutions to the problem you're having but the problem list for your PC s behavior is quite large, so I suggest trying one thing at a time and be patient and careful.

Sproaty

Hi, I've decided to just upgrade to ryzen. I was in a toss up about doing this or trying to get the best socket 1150 stuff and figured I can upgrade to new bits for very little money if I can sell my cpu and the new ram I'd bought. Thanks everyone

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Corsair VS series are really terrible PSUs. Replace it ASAP.

Cut the power off, take off the CMOS battery, unplug everything and then reassmble the entire system.

Sproaty

My new PSU arrived today but not my AM4 mobo, so I figured I'd replace the PSU in this system and see if it'll boot.
Replaced it - nothing. While I was plugging it back in I realised I'd taken my graphics card out and noticed the CMOS battery.
After it failed the boot, I pulled the battery and it looked a little scorched at the back.

Luckily I had a new one at hand, so I replaced it - and voila! System up

I hadn't noticed this battery before until I removed the card. So, I'm not sure if my older PSU was defective too as I didn't retry it, but having a new one will be good. It's not the best, supply of PSUs seems quite limited currently in the UK, but it'll do the job.

Currently running an i7 4790k and 16GB RAM with my new GTX 1660 super, just played GTA 5 on max settings and had no trouble. Awesome!
I'm looking forward to my Ryzen upgrade tomorrow.

Besides the new PSU I can probably sell this current system for a good amount considering its making my Ryzen build almost £0. Awesome! My motherboard is going on ebay for around £100+

Thanks everyone for your assistance :)