• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tripplite Rackmount UPS Reviews

System Name GRAYSCALE\Butterfly
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k @ 5.2Ghz\Intel 4690k
Motherboard ASUS Maximus X Hero \Asus Z97 Maximus Hero VI
Cooling Custom Water\Stock
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4-3200 \2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) NVidia Titan Xp w/ EK Block \ MSI Reference GTX 780
Storage 512GB Samsung 960 PRO (M.2)\128GB OCZ Vertex 4 + 500GB WD Black
Display(s) Asus PG278Q ROG Swift\Acer x213h 21.3'' 1920x1080 LCD
Case Thermaltake P3 Core\NZXT S340
Audio Device(s) Integrated w/ AKG K702 65th Anny's\Integrated
Power Supply Corsair HXi 1000 \Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum\2014 Razer Naga
Keyboard Ducky One TKL RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro (x64)\Windows 10 Pro (x64)
In the process of getting ready to do a bulk replacement of my aging APC network UPS's with some newer Li-Ion models. Both Tripplite and APC have models with similar features/power capabilities and support network management/monitoring. My only problem is finding reviews on their rackmount models and information on support experiences is coming up a bit dry.

Any of you out there using Tripplite in an enterprise setting? If so, how have they held up? Any qualms with support for dead/failing units?

Any information/input is appreciated.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It might help if we had specific model numbers of the products you are considering - if you have narrowed it down that far.

The fact reviews are hard to find is often a good thing - "user reviews" tend to be skewed because happy customers typically don't complain and often don't write reviews. And even if they do write a review, it typically is within a day or two after receiving the product. Personally, I would like to see reviews after a year of use. Professional reviews are often hard to find when the product is for a limited audience.

As for your specific decision, all I can say is I have had great service from both APC and Tripp Lite (though not with any of their newer Li-Ion UPS). You may just have to base your decision on price and warranty.

Unless you are buying several and can get a volume discount, how about you buying a couple from APC and a couple from Tripp Lite, then come back here in a year and tell us how they have done? ;)

Oh, I might also suggest Eaton. They have earned a really good reputation for their UPS, especially in commercial/organizational networks.

It might help if we had specific model numbers of the products you are considering - if you have narrowed it down that far.

The fact reviews are hard to find is often a good thing - "user reviews" tend to be skewed because happy customers typically don't complain and often don't write reviews. And even if they do write a review, it typically is within a day or two after receiving the product. Personally, I would like to see reviews after a year of use. Professional reviews are often hard to find when the product is for a limited audience.

As for your specific decision, all I can say is I have had great service from both APC and Tripp Lite (though not with any of their newer Li-Ion UPS). You may just have to base your decision on price and warranty.

Unless you are buying several and can get a volume discount, how about you buying a couple from APC and a couple from Tripp Lite, then come back here in a year and tell us how they have done? ;)

Oh, I might also suggest Eaton. They have earned a really good reputation for their UPS, especially in commercial/organizational networks.

I've narrowed it down to a few models, but in this regard I just wanted to gauge more of a general feel for long term quality. I know that not a ton of people have really jumped on the Li-Ion wagon yet, so I don't expect too much long term evidence regarding those.

The total order would be for ~70 UPS's and with the way funding works (school) we wouldn't be able to wait a year and buy a few of each. Stuff goes out to bid and vendors provide a quote with whatever product they think fits our requirements best. So far, no one is pitching Eaton to us.

I was looking into the Vertiv UPS's. The problem with Vertiv is that they only have 6 plugs on the back vs the 8 of the APC/Tripp Lite. Some of the cabinets are a bit tight on space so the addition of a PDU to accommodate the Vertiv's would be difficult.

Do you use any of the network management features on your Tripp Lite's? APCs is sort of basic, but they can do email alerts and I can monitor them via SNMP which is all I really need for a UPS.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
In the process of getting ready to do a bulk replacement of my aging APC network UPS's with some newer Li-Ion models. Both Tripplite and APC have models with similar features/power capabilities and support network management/monitoring. My only problem is finding reviews on their rackmount models and information on support experiences is coming up a bit dry.

Any of you out there using Tripplite in an enterprise setting? If so, how have they held up? Any qualms with support for dead/failing units?

Any information/input is appreciated.
I used a TrippLite rackmount in a datarack for a few years, believe it was a double conversion full online 1500W version. Don't recall much else, thing just worked. Their monitoring software is a weird java based solution but I can't say it doesn't work... and plus being java based it works nearly anywhere.

I've had great luck with Tripp Lite UPSes but do be advised they were just aquired by Eaton and I have no idea how that may affect things.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I know that not a ton of people have really jumped on the Li-Ion wagon yet
Not just Li-Ion but most (at least most who frequent this forum) who use UPSs, don't use rack-mounted UPS.

If you are buying 70, it seems to me you could go 35 and 35 and still get a decent volume discount - especially if the RFP mentions the split.

As far as the number of plugs, a couple of observations. On many UPS, not all plugs on the back are on the battery output side - some may only offer surge and spike protection. I believe this is more commonly seen on stand-alone (not rack mounted) UPS, but something to still keep an eye out for.

Also, a major (IMO) problem with all UPS is the small spacing between the power connectors in back. Those big, bulky DC power blocks (wall warts) used by many devices can easily cover up two or more of those outlets. I found these 18 inch 4-way spider extension cords and these 8 inch single extension cords to be invaluable. Since devices that use those wall warts are low power devices, you can easily use one of those spider cords to connect 4 devices to one UPS outlet and not worry about overloading the UPS.

I used a TrippLite rackmount in a datarack for a few years, believe it was a double conversion full online 1500W version. Don't recall much else, thing just worked. Their monitoring software is a weird java based solution but I can't say it doesn't work... and plus being java based it works nearly anywhere.

I've had great luck with Tripp Lite UPSes but do be advised they were just aquired by Eaton and I have no idea how that may affect things.

Interesting. I hadn't seen they were acquired by Eaton. You'd think I would've noticed the big "By EATON" in their site logo, but I didn't lol.

I wonder if their newer versions of the software moved away from the Java dependency. Looking through their requirements I don't see it specifically listed anymore.

Glad to hear you have had good experiences with them in the past. Thanks again for your feedback.

Not just Li-Ion but most (at least most who frequent this forum) who use UPSs, don't use rack-mounted UPS.

If you are buying 70, it seems to me you could go 35 and 35 and still get a decent volume discount - especially if the RFP mentions the split.

As far as the number of plugs, a couple of observations. On many UPS, not all plugs on the back are on the battery output side - some may only offer surge and spike protection. I believe this is more commonly seen on stand-alone (not rack mounted) UPS, but something to still keep an eye out for.

Also, a major (IMO) problem with all UPS is the small spacing between the power connectors in back. Those big, bulky DC power blocks (wall warts) used by many devices can easily cover up two or more of those outlets. I found these 18 inch 4-way spider extension cords and these 8 inch single extension cords to be invaluable. Since devices that use those wall warts are low power devices, you can easily use one of those spider cords to connect 4 devices to one UPS outlet and not worry about overloading the UPS.

I have some normal areas I seek recommendations on but wanted to branch out a bit to get a larger sample size. Figured it would be worth a shot asking on TPU and so far it's gotten me some decent information.

I've confirmed that all of the models we would be purchasing have all outputs connected to the battery. As well, we're really only connecting network equipment to these units so spacing is less of a concern. We have in the past used some of the small extension cords you had talked about in some of our more unique scenarios.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Sorry - I did not see where R-T-B said Tripp Lite was acquired by Eaton. In any case, while that may affect competition, I don't see this affecting quality.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Sorry - I did not see where R-T-B said Tripp Lite was acquired by Eaton. In any case, while that may affect competition, I don't see this affecting quality.
I don't either personally as both were good brands anyways, but it does throw an additonal question into the mix if nothing else. Mostly I'd be curious how they are handling warranty transitions, etc.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I am curious if they keep both brands. Maybe consumers will see no difference. I see Eaton also owns Emerson - a HUGE Fortune 500 company on its own.