• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Solved] Troubleshooting 4k 120/144Hz & G-Sync on a 980ti Lightning - works ingame but not in Windows?

Processor Intel i7 5820k 4.4GHz
Motherboard ASRock X99 OC Formula
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Corsair 4x8GB 2133MHz DDR4 kit W/XMP
Video Card(s) MSI 980 Ti Lightning
Storage Samsung SSD 950 512GB NVMe, SSD 860 1TB SATA, etc, etc.
Display(s) Dell S2716DG
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10
Hey there. I'm trying to figure out why I am not able to select 4k/120Hz in the Nvidia control panel. I just came home with a new Acer Predator XB273K GP after my faithful old Dell S2716DG gave up the ghost. Everything with it is great so far except I can't get 120/144Hz out of it and it is not recognized as a G-Sync enabled display.

I suspect the latter issue might be because the display is listed by retailers as "G-Sync Compatible" instead of "G-Sync Technology/Enabled/Ready", etc... meaning it might not actually have Nvidia's G-Sync hardware inside of it? I've read elsewhere that only 1xxx and later cards are capable of utilizing "G-Sync Compatible" displays, whereas everything older needs a 'real McCoy' G-Sync monitor to function. I'm planning on upgrading to a 3090ti once that card becomes available, so this is not the end of the world for me - I just want to make sure I have all my facts straight as to why G-Sync isn't working.

As for the refresh rate - I did discover that the MSI 980ti Lightning shipped with DisplayPort 1.2, which as I understand is not capable of supporting 4k resolutions above 75Hz or so. However, I found a firmware update tool from Nvidia which supposedly enables support for DP 1.3 and 1.4... but I'm not sure if this simply allows the card to play nice with newer displays or actually enables the associated higher throughput from a given card. Am I right in concluding that the card itself is the issue here, and is there anything short of waiting for the 3090ti that can be done to fix the issue?

Thanks.

Aside: It's amazing to watch bleeding edge technology become totally obsolete in the span of a few short years.
$350 for a 512GB SSD950 in 2016... $80 for a 512GB SSD970 in 2020.
Top of the line graphics card purchased in 2016... ancient, depreciated technology in 2020.

-----

Very peculiar update:

I just noticed that I *am* able to get 4k144Hz when I fire up a game. But I am *not* able to get 4k144/120/etc. in Windows. The difference when switching between my desktop and a game is as obvious as night and day. What gives?

-----

Final update:

I guess I solved my own mystery by realizing that my games were still running in 2k resolution. Now everything adds up again. Closing this thread.

Last edited: