• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Troubleshooting Single Click sound Dell XPS 8700 SE (2013) NVIDIA 750 Ti

System Name (relatively) Badass4000
Processor Intel Core i7 (Haswell) 4790
Motherboard Dell stock for XPS 8700 (2013) SE desktop, Haswell Z87, A11 BIOS
Cooling Stock fans for 2013 XPS 8700 Dell desktop case
Memory 16GB DDR3 Dual Channel PC3-12800 (@ 800 MHz) by Hyundai
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (GM107 - A2)
Storage 32/2 GB/TB SSD Hybrid Main drive, 750GB standard drive in 2nd HDD bay
Case Stock case
Hi guys. I've been trying to troubleshoot this noise that occasionally comes from my desktop. I have a 2013 Special Edition Dell XPS 8700 SE. Stock everything, except I added a 2nd internal drive and upgraded to Windows 10 Home; running the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti GPU. Basically, I'll be doing my thing, working/gaming, whatever, and I will hear a quick single click. That's it. No grinding, no click click click, nothing. Just the occasional single click. No obvious graphics/video tearing on the screen immediately before and/or after, no audio cutting out. Nothing that I'd consider symptomatic of some sort of hardware failure. I keep all my drivers updated.

I think I've narrowed it down to a fan noise, but I can never seem to actually "see" anything happen when I hear the noise. I think something is somehow hitting a fan blade, or a ball bearing is wonky, or something along those lines, even tho I've checked and re-checked to make sure nothing is hitting any of the fans.

Normal, everyday desktop use, with 1-2 hrs Photoshop: I hear it maybe once a day.
Gaming (WoW and/or STO, not at the same time) with max NVIDIA-recommended settings: 2-3, maybe 4 times an hour.

I haven't been able to determine if heat is part of the equation, but, its computer crap and possibly cooling related, so I'm assuming it is.

Anyway, long post short: Does anyone have experience with something like this? Am I way off target thinking its a fan clicking; I've had hard drives fail before, and while the click is similar, its not exactly the same, nor is it repetitive.

If you need more detail, please let me know.

Thanks again!

System Name Intel RED6G
Processor Intel Core i9 9900K 3.6Ghz OC @ 5.0Ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Master z390 - WiFi Bios 11F
Cooling EKWB - Phoenix 240mm High Performance AIO Push and Pull Config, CASE 4x EKWB 120mm VARDAR EVO RGB
Memory Corsair VENGENCE 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 4000/ MXP Profile1 SET
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MSI RTX2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO
Storage Gigabyte 250Gb SSD / 500Gb M.2 Samsung 970EVO
Display(s) AOC 1MS 24'5inch TN Monitor 75hz G-Sync G2590VXQ
Case Stormforce Atx Tempered Glass Extreme RGB
Audio Device(s) Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 - 7.1
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM850 Fully Modular 80 PLUS Gold
Mouse Corsair M65Pro RGB
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 10Pro 64Bit
Yha this sound very familiar to me, I just finished building my system and I did it very cearful as always, and is not my first build, just don't know what and exactly where but in my case it sounds like the click is coming from top somewhere in CPU area or ram area I know that sound is in that part, and is all brand new! Also in my case it's only doing that click on startup's sometimes it happens right after showing rog logo on start, sometimes is when booting up to windows.

In my case I think is a cpu power cable, as when I was doing cable management I had to bend it to be able to pass on the back, I will redo that and add an sleeved cable and see if that change the situation!

My friend keep me posted here about your problem, so I can know more about this.

Thank you so much best regards Stanley and hope you solve your problem soon!

System Name (relatively) Badass4000
Processor Intel Core i7 (Haswell) 4790
Motherboard Dell stock for XPS 8700 (2013) SE desktop, Haswell Z87, A11 BIOS
Cooling Stock fans for 2013 XPS 8700 Dell desktop case
Memory 16GB DDR3 Dual Channel PC3-12800 (@ 800 MHz) by Hyundai
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (GM107 - A2)
Storage 32/2 GB/TB SSD Hybrid Main drive, 750GB standard drive in 2nd HDD bay
Case Stock case
Oh! One of the things I forgot to mention was that I came across an older thread somewhere about heat and fans. The theory is: heat can make the CPU/GPU fan expand just enough to dink something nearby in a setup with a tighter enclosure... and, when you open things up to check, you can't see anything in direct contact, because the fan has cooled, and shrunk, back down. End result? Slow, confusing insanity... lol ... But, I think I ruled out this possibility. Even though my setup is "compact," I can't really see anything that the fan could hit, even if it expanded, considering the expansion would probably only be millimeters in size. It also occurs to me that it would be more than one click, since the fan wouldn't immediately shrink back down after having hit something just once.

@StanMen thanks for the comment! Good news is, you have a specific (or relatively specific), repeatable time that the click happens. One of the things I'd been rolling around in my head was setting up a camera to record inside my case, but the problem always was, I never knew when to hit record! So, either i just record random chunks of time, or I wade through 8-12hrs of footage, or sit down for a gaming session, hit record, and hope I get lucky.

--- And, if I didn't explain earlier ... I came up with watching/recording because I think I'm looking for a moment when (for whatever reason: heat, mechanical breakdown, obstruction) something stops a fan from spinning for a split second.

Do you know what you're looking for? If you think its a cable, do you think the cable is hitting something, or is some electrical noise?

Good luck to you, too! I look forward to hearing your eventual solution!

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
My computer case "clicks" from temperature change. What'cha gonna do about it?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
A click on startup is normal, and are usually a relay in your PSU. It's actually a sign of a quality PSU efficiency wise to have such a relay.

Last edited:
System Name Intel RED6G
Processor Intel Core i9 9900K 3.6Ghz OC @ 5.0Ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Master z390 - WiFi Bios 11F
Cooling EKWB - Phoenix 240mm High Performance AIO Push and Pull Config, CASE 4x EKWB 120mm VARDAR EVO RGB
Memory Corsair VENGENCE 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 4000/ MXP Profile1 SET
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MSI RTX2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO
Storage Gigabyte 250Gb SSD / 500Gb M.2 Samsung 970EVO
Display(s) AOC 1MS 24'5inch TN Monitor 75hz G-Sync G2590VXQ
Case Stormforce Atx Tempered Glass Extreme RGB
Audio Device(s) Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 - 7.1
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM850 Fully Modular 80 PLUS Gold
Mouse Corsair M65Pro RGB
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 10Pro 64Bit
Oh! One of the things I forgot to mention was that I came across an older thread somewhere about heat and fans. The theory is: heat can make the CPU/GPU fan expand just enough to dink something nearby in a setup with a tighter enclosure... and, when you open things up to check, you can't see anything in direct contact, because the fan has cooled, and shrunk, back down. End result? Slow, confusing insanity... lol ... But, I think I ruled out this possibility. Even though my setup is "compact," I can't really see anything that the fan could hit, even if it expanded, considering the expansion would probably only be millimeters in size. It also occurs to me that it would be more than one click, since the fan wouldn't immediately shrink back down after having hit something just once.

@StanMen thanks for the comment! Good news is, you have a specific (or relatively specific), repeatable time that the click happens. One of the things I'd been rolling around in my head was setting up a camera to record inside my case, but the problem always was, I never knew when to hit record! So, either i just record random chunks of time, or I wade through 8-12hrs of footage, or sit down for a gaming session, hit record, and hope I get lucky.

--- And, if I didn't explain earlier ... I came up with watching/recording because I think I'm looking for a moment when (for whatever reason: heat, mechanical breakdown, obstruction) something stops a fan from spinning for a split second.

Do you know what you're looking for? If you think its a cable, do you think the cable is hitting something, or is some electrical noise?

Good luck to you, too! I look forward to hearing your eventual solution!

Hey guys and everyone that have same board as I do Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO so I spend some good time in looking and finde the cause of my problem with click sound coming from my motherboard it sound like a mechanical sound switch on boot up and shoot down, and I found that is a normal click sound as its because of what Asus use on the new sound system card supreme FX the NEC relay, so nothing to worry about. See here: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/727...ew/index4.html;