1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

True 120 EX

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by pantherx12, Oct 13, 2009.

1. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:
    Hi I've just got a True but I'm having some disappointing results, under load my 1283 xigy beats it by 15c on 2 of the cores and 10 and the hottest cores.

Even idle temps the 1283 beats it out, using the same fan no both.

Now there is one screw missing so I used one from the AMD mounting set instead, would having just one screw different affect temperatures this much?

What temps should I expect?

Xeon 3320 3.5ghz 1.44 volts ( yes I need that much voltage, the P5Q3 disables some of the cores other wise)

under load with the true hottest cores were 70c and 71 c.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Isn't the contact surface on True's bowed? You most likely are making poor contact with the one screw not being the same as the rest.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:
    It looked pretty flat, I'm just able to take it of and make sure the TIM spread etc.

Okay undone 2 screws, and am running prime 95 with my computer on its side, I've already got better temperatures.

Looks like it is the wrong screw causing the problem, 65 on hottest cores at the moment I expect with this thing fitted properly I'll get the same temps as my 1283, still disappointing : [

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  4. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    nah you wont you might get same temp maybe at idle but the true really excells when underload. it will blow the 1283 away then! soon as you get that screw it will all settle down

5. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:
    I hope so, other wise the True is going to someone else ha ha XD

6. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    i wasnt happy with my true either to be honest and ended up "giving it away" to my GF's briother when i built his rig... the mounting solution is crappy and even when the heatsink is mounted properly you can wiggle it around... a few weeks on its side gravity takes over and the temps are crap again ....so i got a noctua instead and am much happier ;)

Im not saying that the noctua is a better cooler becuase according to many benchmarks its not, but perhaps the one i got that i reseated countless times was just a bit of a dud

7. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:
    When I had 4 screw in, it didn't move at all, just two screws and I can twist it around a lot.

If the temperatures don't improve much when i get another intel screw I'll be selling the True.

Grab myself a xigmatek balder if I can find one.