• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trying to cool my Acer Nitro 7

ian315

hi all,

a fully fledged noobie here who brought his first gaming laptop a few months back. I used to build PC's back in my teens but it's been a long time since I brought water cooling hardware and had pipes all over the joint.

I have an Acer Nitro 7 which comes with an i7-9750H CPU (2.6GHz) and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti card. I upgraded the RAM which sits now at 32MB

The laptop runs great and my only issue is that of heat, and boy does this thing get hot. Not hardware damaging hot but when your trying to use the keyboard at 93+ degrees it can be very difficult.

So I did some digging and have begun to undervolt the machine, with varying degrees of success. I have managed to eek out extra performance which is good but not managed to crack yet any sort of decent heat reduction.

So I'll post some attachments of my current Throttlestop etc. Ignore the temps because the max is definitely not 80 degrees, it's just that when taking these the computer had done nothing but one TS Bench test.

Help Obi-Won's you're my only hope!

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    364.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    313.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    326.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    345.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    392.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    100.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 7.PNG
    7.PNG
    169.6 KB · Views: 120
Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
Have you tried getting a cooling pad? It's the easiest solution without having to do anything to the laptop itself

ian315

Yep already got one, but they’re not immensely useful in all honesty. Appreciate the quick response though

D

Deleted member 193596

well that's completely normal with laptops.

you can go crazy and tweak for months to get 5°C off... but that won't change the fact that you are simply limited by the cooler itself.

all what you can do is underclocking like hell or using maybe liquid metal or really high end thermal paste that does not dry out on direct die (NT H1/H2, Kryonaut, GC Extreme) for quicker heat dissipation

anything below "it does not throttle under baseclock after 5 minutes of gaming" is already decent for a laptop. especially for a lower midtier one like the nitro 7.

Last edited by a moderator: