• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

trying to figure this out

jtf2

hello.i am new to this forum.having been a long time nvidiot :D ,i now have a 9800xt bb ati
when i run the find max core-the speed decreases,same with the mem.
i have a lot of air flowing thru case,and i also have a vantec card cooler,so i dont thing temps are an issue
i use xp pro sp2
it7max2 mb
2d & 3d profile tabs are disabled
when i scan for artifacts at default speeds i get artifacts right away.
this tool is great.i already have the temps reading out in mbm5
thnx for your help

sersalpha

Does ATITool drop your clock speed(s) below their default? There have been some posts regarding problems with ATITool and 9800XT's, so don't lose hope just yet ;)

In the meantime, you should consider either need to get more agressive cooling for your card, like an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer or a Zalman ZM80-DHP. This will allow for higher overclocks.

If ATITool isn't the problem you may want to even consider RMA'ing your card. In any event, you shouldn't be getting artifacts at default speeds.

Last edited:

jtf2

thnx for replies.i do have stock cooling right now.the default tab stays at 412\365.
i will run it later to see how low it goes when trying to find max clocks
i am waiting for the new ati3 coolers to arrive here in canada.
has anyone actually successfully rma`ed their card saying it is getting artifcats at stock speeds

zealot`grr

has anyone actually successfully rma`ed their card saying it is getting artifcats at stock speeds

yep, also a friend of mine should do so but refuses to because he's afraid. the shop where he bought his card told him that it'll be send to Sapphire - and if Sapphire thinks that it itsn't their fault he'd have to pay like 30€ for "sending in an unjustified rma"

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
jtf2 said:
thnx for replies.i do have stock cooling right now.the default tab stays at 412\365.
i will run it later to see how low it goes when trying to find max clocks
i am waiting for the new ati3 coolers to arrive here in canada.

I heard in other forums some ppl put their vidcards in a microwave oven for 2-3 secs in order to kill them, and then RMA'd the cards because they didn't OC very well :eek: :(

foreignkid

15th Warlock said:
I heard in other forums some ppl put their vidcards in a microwave oven for 2-3 secs in order to kill them, and then RMA'd the cards because they didn't OC very well :eek: :(
In reference to all those people who RMA video cards they broke: "You should be castrated with a wooden spoon... "- Visable-assassin of [H]forums

sersalpha

The kicker is that the more expensive something is, the more incentive one has to RMA it after damaging it. I doubt that many people, including myself, would drop several hundred dollars when push comes to shove. Still, big ticket RMA's do unfairly raise prices for "everyone else."

foreignkid

sersalpha said:
The kicker is that the more expensive something is, the more incentive one has to RMA it after damaging it. I doubt that many people, including myself, would drop several hundred dollars when push comes to shove. Still, big ticket RMA's do unfairly raise prices for "everyone else."
Correct as well...wooden spoons would hurt i imagine tho.

jtf2

fwiw,i had to drop the core down to 390,before it would scan artifact free.
at stock settings when i tried to play doom3,i thought there was a snowstorm on mars :D