• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trying to recover to build AMD NVDIA Machine

a333

Does anybody know if I can take 16GB (DIMM 4GB 800Mhz) off my MacPro (in Riser B), and put it in a custom built AMD Box running at the highest Memory speed possible? I believe someone said that DIMM 800Mhz Memory could be run at faster speeds on a different motherboard. I need to build the fastest possible Windows 64-bit machine to run a Signal processing research project on that involves NVIDIA cores.

NVIDIA is doing promotional offering 50% off their GPU cards.

This is my memory configuration from my MacPro3,1, Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3.2Ghz, 12MB per processor L2 cache. I would like to thank anyone in advanced for any build your own kits they can refer me to. I know CRN came out with an article on the ultimate PC in March, using the Intel i7.

Riser-A
DIMM Riser A/DIMM 1, 4GB, DDR2 F8-DIMM 800Mhz
DIMM Riser A/DIMM 2, 4GB, DDR2 F8-DIMM 800Mhz
DIMM Riser A/DIMM 3, 4GB, DDR2 F8-DIMM 800Mhz
DIMM Riser A/DIMM 4, 4GB, DDR2 F8-DIMM 800Mhz

Riser-B
DIMM Riser B/DIMM 1, 4GB, DDR2 F8-DIMM 800Mhz
DIMM Riser B/DIMM 2, 4GB, DDR2 F8-DIMM 800Mhz
DIMM Riser B/DIMM 3, 4GB, DDR2 F8-DIMM 800Mhz
DIMM Riser B/DIMM 4, 4GB, DDR2 F8-DIMM 800Mhz

I sure would appreciate it if you could give me some details on how I can take that 16GB or Riser-B RAM and build a machine with 1-3 NVIDIA GPU's and either an i7 or AMD processor. I'm not a hardware guy, i've obviously make a mistake in purchasing from Apple for the entire system configuration on the supposition that I would have a good upgrade path given the money I paid, but I was wrong (lesson learned, I really do not like Intel and Apple any longer regarding their treatment of customers as individuals not as Fortune 500 companies that can afford to purchase a new more powerful system every 6 months).

My needs are specifically related to the 960 cores in total available in 4 NVIDIA GPU's ultimately, as I'm involved in a Signal Processing project which involves 72 channels of audio I/O.

And I have little money at this time and am looking at maximizing my investment by building a second machine.

Thanks

I know TigerDirect.com is sending out these e-mails about a $999 i7 machine, but I'd like to get one that can take a Blender Rendering and perform it as fast as possible.

I won't be buying anything more from apple. I'll purchase an Android Device when the appropriate one comes out and one of those Super Rugged laptops with solid state drives (I know the MacBook Pro has solid state drives, but I think the one I'm referring to is Fujitsu or Panasonic).

I'm just going back to 64-bit Windows, and Apple and Intel can kiss my azz.