• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trying to solve a strange problem...

SpeedyVT

Well first system specs

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Hard Drive: 500 GB / 250 GB / 2 x 120 GB

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2900 PRO / ATI Radeo x1600 pro *I'll explain after*

Monitor: ACER 17" / Samsung 17"

Sound Card: Logitech USB Headset *ignore that I just copy pasted from xfire profile... I didnt feel like typing a book.*

Speakers/Headphones: x530 Logitech w/ PS2 Headset

Keyboard: ZBoard

Mouse: MX518

Now problem...

Alright here is the load down

Well after upgrading my computer a month or so ago... Which it did need an upgrade, maybe not really dire but needed. I have always been fond of ATI and AMD I don't have anything against Nvidia or Intel just personal preference. I have been playing all my games for that time period playing on higher settings than what I could perform them before. But a little pebble fell off a hill and a boulder came tumbling after. I'm like hmm I want to go play (First time installing and using.) Wolfenstein Enemy Territory...
...and then %^%BAM%^%

I found that to be annoying and search high and low to resolve the problem I'm experienced w/ computers but still learning some stuff, computers change faster than what most people can keep up with. I tried Quake 3, I know both engines are quake 3 based so why not try that or Jedi Academy, but Quake 3 worked (Will try Jedi Academy later). So after a day of reading like a crazed person ADD kicked in, no not really, and I was like why don't I bench test something (I realized they were opengl based so I can try testing it with them.) some stuff today so I downloaded Lightsmark / FurRender both looked like nice programs. Keyword looked, they both did not run they gave errors.

My general impression with anything opengl is first drivers, but what I can tell you is that my drivers are up to date to ATI's standards catalyst 7.10, I don't know if there is something just with that or not. But getting to that post about my system specs next to video card so you understand grasp that better. I put my old x1600 pro and my new 2900 pro 1gb video card in my crossfire board so I can use my 2900 strictly for my games, and hopefully take the stress off it to run extra monitors on the x1600, and it works as well.

I'm personally perplexed by the problem if anyone can gimme a suggestion, and nothing irrational, I'm pretty much open for ideas. Sorry for the stringy post and bad grammar.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Have you tried with one card?
Sounds like a card issue or driver issue.

So the first time you played any games on this rig it crashed?

von kain

System Name intel-hate
Processor Amd phenom 2 955 @ 3800
Motherboard msi 790fx-gd70
Cooling coolermaster
Memory 4096 @1600 corsair
Video Card(s) sapphire 5770 @950-1350
Storage 1 seagate 80gb sata2 1 160gb seagate sata
Display(s) 20inch wide lg
Power Supply chieftech 750w
Software windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores nah
try a driver cleaner then re-install drivers and of course (win xp i suppose ) make an windows update...or re-install the game

Question, Im sure you have catalyst 7.10, the new ati drivers. Also i checked around a bit and it seems that alot of people are having trouble with the HD cards in Vista...what OS are you running?

Just for giggles, try this go to Catalyst Control Centre, make sure you have the advanced version on and disable AI Optimize (in the 3D menu)

Also, whats with the two video cards at the top???? please explain, this could be hurting you too ;)

SpeedyVT

All my games run on here smooth as silk... but, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory I can try to dig up Return to Castle Wolfenstein and try that one too. I will try the driver cleaner before all that and drastic measures I will unplug my other card. Cybrnook2002 I have the other card using the other slot running my other monitor, I would expect it to take some stress off the 2900 because when I play those damn games like world of warcraft, yes I used the poisoned words... anyways and watch videos on my other monitor yes I can multi-task quite well long as I'm not healing. Funny thing is even crysis works smooth, although when I look at the fps in game it says lower rate than what it looks like its producing they had that problem with cod2 when it first came out.

Well one thing I can request does anyone with a 2900 have a problem running WET.

Last edited:
Try unplugging your x1600 after you uninstall your video drivers for both cards. Reboot with jsut the 2900 and reinstall your drivers and see if you still have the same problem. I know it sounds like a pain in the butt, but it should really only take you 20 minutes......the 2900 does dual monitors. And if your gaming on one with a web browser or something on the other monitor, its really should'nt effect your performance. Just and idea. My 2900 is fine. But im playing all newer games. And, of course, im running on 32 bit xp pro for most of the time. But no problems in Vista either for me. :wtf:

Last edited:

SpeedyVT

Yeah same could you try WET. Its a free release by ID I'm pretty sure you played it, Its like team fortress its not a new game but when you play games like team fortress old or new they always stick to you. Alright I will unplug my x1600 and see if that has any effect.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_2354.shtml

Thats the game, if you prefer other websites like filefront or gamespy, you can find it there too.

5:01pm* update I haven't taken out the x1600 got to grab a screwdriver, I will do it sometime when I'm not so lazy.

5:51pm* Jedi Academy Doesn't work. Engine is pretty much the same used in Wolfenstein soo I think that ATI screwed something up. Maybe the current driver doesn't run opengl with some older games.

Last edited:

SpeedyVT

I hope you don't call this double posting but I resolved the problem something to do with hooking up the two cards effect opengl in older games. I disconnected my x1600 for now till they come out with more stable drivers that will accept such connections.

BIG NO NO to add to the large list.

ATI 2900 doesn't like other cards with and drivers currently for 7.10 and earlier. *maybe the new one will fix the issue.

I hope you don't call this double posting but I resolved the problem something to do with hooking up the two cards effect opengl in older games. I disconnected my x1600 for now till they come out with more stable drivers that will accept such connections.

BIG NO NO to add to the large list.

ATI 2900 doesn't like other cards with and drivers currently for 7.10 and earlier. *maybe the new one will fix the issue.

No problemo buddy, Thats what i was thinking it would be. :toast: