• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC to Roll Out 3nm Plus Manufacturing Process in 2023

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
The possibility barely exists to account for all the silicon manufacturing processes currently in development; TSMC themselves are rolling out 5 nm, 4 nm, 3 nm, and 2 nm processes at various points in time in the future. Now, the company has announced that it will be rolling out a revision of the 3 nm manufacturing process, named 3 nm Plus, come 2023. According to DigiTimes, the Taiwanese manufacturer's first client for this process will be Apple.

There is no information on what exactly 3 nm Plus leverages and offers over the "vanilla" 3 nm process. It could be anything from higher transistor density, lower power consumption, or higher operating frequency - or maybe a mixture of the three. The original 3 nm manufacturing process is set to offer a 15% performance gain over the current top-of-the-line 5 nm node, with 30% decreased power use and up to 70% density increase. Interestingly, TSMC is keeping their FinFet manufacturing technology, on grounds of better implementation costs and higher power efficiency compared to the more exotic GAA (Gate-All-Around) technology that its rival Samsung, for one, aims to implement in 3 nm.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
ok cool but, what is global foundry's up to?

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
Global what? ;)
Are they still licensing processes from Samsung or they don't even bother with that anymore?

Last edited:

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64

Canceled all next-gen processes and are focusing on silicon photonics as a halo process. Introduced many iterations of 22nm and 12nm processes for various clients (they're focusing on Cloud, Edge AI, eMRAM, HBM...) They're no longer competing as a leading edge semiconductor fab for the clients we usually think of.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
"TSMC is keeping their FinTech manufacturing technology"

Don't you mean FinFET?

That aside, no surprise Apple is their first costumer lining up for the new process.

"The original 3 nm manufacturing process is set to offer a 15% performance gain over the current top-of-the-line 5 nm node, with 30% decreased power use and up to 70% density increase."

The performance gain and power decrease seem to be normal, so to speak, but the density is interesting. That's a lot of transistors packed together. Wondering if at that level electromigration is gonna become a problem to look out for...

Intel with 14 nm+++++++++++++ be like:

Hoping to be "wowed" by some of these future 3nm+ products, in particular Apple's items. Not just their traditional incremental battery life improvements and "WHOA" this item is 30% thinner than it was last year.

Not sure what I expect from technology these days. I want "more", but I'm not exactly sure what that means, exactly. I think I would want technology to play more of a role in my "day to day" life, just to make things a little more interesting and interactive. Augmented Reality apps and services might play some role in that.

I still think "higher-end" pc tech needs to get a bit more affordable, so that even people that aren't die hard fans and users would be able to consider more hardware and software purchases; Apple Watches, and things like that, for example.

If we get to a point where you can Facetime someone, 3 dimensionally, via a full color hologram or something, even with the hologram having some kind of tactile feedback, so you can actually touch and interact with it; we're getting somewhere.

We're still in the land of 2D, where everything is based on a monitor or a screen. We really need to get beyond that, to something much more futuristic and interactive.

Instead of just a voice, I kind of feel like I should actually be able to see "Siri" by now, physically, and speak to "her" directly.

VR Helmets are a step in the right direction, but we need to get that type of experience, without the requirement of the helmet.

If I had to have a home set-up, from the planning stage, with a digital, immersive, PC Room, with 3D Imaging, Holograms, the works, I think that's where 3nm and all these future process nodes SHOULD be taking us.

If I'm bored to death, and it's the middle of the night, but I can step into our PC Room, essentially a "Holodeck", and play a life-size, real-time 3D game of chess, that literally fills the entire room, and is interactive, that is E-X-C-I-T-I-N-G.

At that point we're no longer in the infancy of computing, we're in the actual FUTURE.

I doubt Intel will even have 7nm by then, even though technically the feature sizes aren't really related to the process node size.

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
Hoping to be "wowed" by some of these future 3nm+ products, in particular Apple's items. Not just their traditional incremental battery life improvements and "WHOA" this item is 30% thinner than it was last year.

Not sure what I expect from technology these days. I want "more", but I'm not exactly sure what that means, exactly. I think I would want technology to play more of a role in my "day to day" life, just to make things a little more interesting and interactive. Augmented Reality apps and services might play some role in that.

I still think "higher-end" pc tech needs to get a bit more affordable, so that even people that aren't die hard fans and users would be able to consider more hardware and software purchases; Apple Watches, and things like that, for example.

If we get to a point where you can Facetime someone, 3 dimensionally, via a full color hologram or something, even with the hologram having some kind of tactile feedback, so you can actually touch and interact with it; we're getting somewhere.

We're still in the land of 2D, where everything is based on a monitor or a screen. We really need to get beyond that, to something much more futuristic and interactive.

Instead of just a voice, I kind of feel like I should actually be able to see "Siri" by now, physically, and speak to "her" directly.

VR Helmets are a step in the right direction, but we need to get that type of experience, without the requirement of the helmet.

If I had to have a home set-up, from the planning stage, with a digital, immersive, PC Room, with 3D Imaging, Holograms, the works, I think that's where 3nm and all these future process nodes SHOULD be taking us.

If I'm bored to death, and it's the middle of the night, but I can step into our PC Room, essentially a "Holodeck", and play a life-size, real-time 3D game of chess, that literally fills the entire room, and is interactive, that is E-X-C-I-T-I-N-G.

At that point we're no longer in the infancy of computing, we're in the actual FUTURE.
May I come over and play too?

Processor i7 2600
Motherboard ASUS H67 rev. B3
Cooling EVO 212
Memory Kingston 8GB
Video Card(s) MSi 7870 GHz Edt.
Storage EVO 850 250GB + WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Dell U2412M
Case ASUS Essentio CG8250
Power Supply Delta 550W
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 7
System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
I doubt Intel will even have 7nm by then, even though technically the feature sizes aren't really related to the process node size.

Once again, there will be nothing 3nm about this "3nm" node. It would be far more accurate if TSMC called their "3nm" node 10nm+++ instead, assuming you want to compare it to how Intel names their process nodes.