• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 450

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
The Turtle Beach Stealth 450 is a wireless gaming headset with great sound quality, an impressive wireless range, and long battery life. Its microphone isn't capable of delivering the performance needed for streaming or voiceovers, but with a price of $85, the Stealth 450 provides excellent value for the money regardless.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you!

As during hot months most headphones are infernal to wear, I am looking forward to a special summertime headsets review: textil earcups, breathing materiales, lightweight, yet great quality. Would be "cool"! ; )

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
thank you!

As during hot months most headphones are infernal to wear, I am looking forward to a special summertime headsets review: textil earcups, breathing materiales, lightweight, yet great quality. Would be "cool"! ; )

It's been 38-43°C where I live for the past couple of weeks so I know exactly what you mean :) Quite fortunate that I'm currently working on headsets with "breathable" ear cushions such as this one and the SteelSeries Arctis family. I'd probably go mad if that wasn't the case... :)

Again with comments like this:

"Of course, turning the virtual surround sound on also has a heavy impact on the overall sound quality, and not in a good way. Overall, I can't think of a single reason why someone would use the Stealth 450 in surround rather than stereo mode."

Just because virtual surround doesn't work for your ears does not mean it doesn't work for others. I get this is your personal opinion but it's unhelpful in a review! Here's some quotes from other reviewers of this product in regards to the HRTF:

"On a PC with DTS Headphone:X engaged, things sound even better. The surround sound mix and presets work brilliantly across games, movies and music."
"DTS Headphone:X has three presets; game, movies and music. It's phenomenal for games and films, creating positional audio that feels like it truly surrounds you, but it doesn't work as well with music."
"The Stealth 450 offers digital DTS 7.1-channel surround sound, and it makes a big difference when gaming. After enjoying rich, immersive sound while punching, swinging and shooting my way through a handful of games, everything I played sounded shallow with it turned off."

I'm not saying their opinion is more valid than yours but I find the way you are conveying your dislike of HRTF, and dismissing it, to be frustrating.

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
Hah, "Ear Force". That's ironic, because a Turtle Beach headset gave me tinnitus.

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
Again with comments like this:

"Of course, turning the virtual surround sound on also has a heavy impact on the overall sound quality, and not in a good way. Overall, I can't think of a single reason why someone would use the Stealth 450 in surround rather than stereo mode."

Just because virtual surround doesn't work for your ears does not mean it doesn't work for others. I get this is your personal opinion but it's unhelpful in a review! Here's some quotes from other reviewers of this product in regards to the HRTF:

"On a PC with DTS Headphone:X engaged, things sound even better. The surround sound mix and presets work brilliantly across games, movies and music."
"DTS Headphone:X has three presets; game, movies and music. It's phenomenal for games and films, creating positional audio that feels like it truly surrounds you, but it doesn't work as well with music."
"The Stealth 450 offers digital DTS 7.1-channel surround sound, and it makes a big difference when gaming. After enjoying rich, immersive sound while punching, swinging and shooting my way through a handful of games, everything I played sounded shallow with it turned off."

I'm not saying their opinion is more valid than yours but I find the way you are conveying your dislike of HRTF, and dismissing it, to be frustrating.

I appreciate what you're saying. Perhaps a clarification is in order. When I said there's no reason for someone to use the Stealth 450 in surround mode over stereo, I was referring to the in-game performance of the headset. If someone's after a competitive edge, stereo is the definite way to go with these, because the spatial positioning is infinitely better that way. I have no way of knowing what other reviewers were looking for when they tested the 7.1 surround sound in games, as my impressions are wildly different. I'm not against 7.1 surround sound per say but I do require it to sound good before I sing praise to it. For me, the immersiveness just wasn't there with the Stealth 450 in 7.1 surround mode, which completely defeats the purpose of using it - especially when at the same time you're trading it for otherwise great acoustic performance of the headset. I wrote about it somewhat more positively than in the case of SteelSeries Arctis 5, though, as it did sound a bit better overall :) If and when I run across a headset with great surround sound performance, be sure that the review will reflect exactly that.

I appreciate what you're saying. Perhaps a clarification is in order. When I said there's no reason for someone to use the Stealth 450 in surround mode over stereo, I was referring to the in-game performance of the headset. If someone's after a competitive edge, stereo is the definite way to go with these, because the spatial positioning is infinitely better that way. I have no way of knowing what other reviewers were looking for when they tested the 7.1 surround sound in games, as my impressions are wildly different. I'm not against 7.1 surround sound per say but I do require it to sound good before I sing praise to it. For me, the immersiveness just wasn't there with the Stealth 450 in 7.1 surround mode, which completely defeats the purpose of using it - especially when at the same time you're trading it for otherwise great acoustic performance of the headset. I wrote about it somewhat more positively than in the case of SteelSeries Arctis 5, though, as it did sound a bit better overall :) If and when I run across a headset with great surround sound performance, be sure that the review will reflect exactly that.

Unfortunately I'm in a position whereby I need to use closed-back headphones. I own a pair of dt-770s and a pair of ATH-900X. The soundstage on the 900x is really good considering it's closed but I actually game on a crappy pair of Corsair 1500s purely because I find Dolby Headphone to give much better positional audio cues. Everyone's ears are different though.

A review of the HyperX Revolver S might be nice. People seem to really like the Dolby implementation and they seem like decent cans as well.

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
A review of the HyperX Revolver S might be nice. People seem to really like the Dolby implementation and they seem like decent cans as well.

You'll be happy to find out that the review of HyperX Revolver S is coming fairly soon! :)