• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[TUTORIAL] How to use ThrottleStop in Windows 11 with Virtual Machine Platform Enabled.

System Name Surface Pro 4
Processor Intel i5-6300U @ 3.0Ghz - 2C/4T
Motherboard X911788-009
Cooling Hybrid (Passive and Fan Cooling)
Memory 8 GB
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics 520
Storage Samsung MZFLV256 NVMe SSD
Display(s) 12.3” PixelSense™ 2736 x 1824 (267 PPI)
Keyboard Surface Type Cover
Software Windows 11 Pro
1. Turn off Hyper-V. Run the “Turn Windows features on or off” applet and uncheck the entire “Hyper-V” tree

2. Disable Credential Guard: Run the “Edit group policy” applet, and navigate to the Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Guard group. For the “Turn On Virtualization Based Security”, set it to “Disabled”

3. Turn off hypervisor in the boot loader: in PowerShell as Administrator, type

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

4. Disable DeviceGuard: run the “Registry Editor” applet and navigate to Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > DeviceGuard group. set the “EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity” to 0, set “RequireMicrosoftSignedBootChain” to 0. Then navigate further to … Scenarios > HyperVisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity and set “Enabled” to 0

5. Disable Memory Integrity: Click search and type “defender” and open Windows Defender / Windows Security. Then click Device Security. Then click Core Isolation. Turn the Memory Integrity option “Off”

When you reboot, you should have “Virtualization Based Security: not enabled” and the Intel utility will show VT-x enabled.

If you need to use Hyper-V, you should try other alternatives such as VMWare Workstation or VirtualBox.

I’ve tested it and it works. My laptop usually heats up while running VMs but now my laptop temps are about 48-55 degrees while running VMs. When idle it’s about 39 degrees. While browsing 41-45 degrees.

Now you can run VMs without overheating issues.

Source: https://adts.link/2022/10/08/how-to...ows-11-with-virtual-machine-platform-enabled/

Motherboard X911788-009
Memory 8 GB
Software Windows 11 Pro
This disabled WSL2 and Docker Desktop which are two tools that I need :( any way around this?
There is no workaround for this because Windows block MSR 0x150 when hypervisor is enabled. Enable hypervisor basically disable Intel VT-X. Try using this https://poweruser.blog/docker-on-windows-10-without-hyper-v-a529897ed1cc
Or install VMWare and run linux vm. You could try powermonkey efi undervolt program https://github.com/psyq321/PowerMonkey
but compiling it is such a headache. I’ve spent hours compiling it but failed.

Vathank

1. Turn off Hyper-V. Run the “Turn Windows features on or off” applet and uncheck the entire “Hyper-V” tree

2. Disable Credential Guard: Run the “Edit group policy” applet, and navigate to the Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Guard group. For the “Turn On Virtualization Based Security”, set it to “Disabled”

3. Turn off hypervisor in the boot loader: in PowerShell as Administrator, type

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

4. Disable DeviceGuard: run the “Registry Editor” applet and navigate to Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > DeviceGuard group. set the “EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity” to 0, set “RequireMicrosoftSignedBootChain” to 0. Then navigate further to … Scenarios > HyperVisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity and set “Enabled” to 0

5. Disable Memory Integrity: Click search and type “defender” and open Windows Defender / Windows Security. Then click Device Security. Then click Core Isolation. Turn the Memory Integrity option “Off”

When you reboot, you should have “Virtualization Based Security: not enabled” and the Intel utility will show VT-x enabled.

If you need to use Hyper-V, you should try other alternatives such as VMWare Workstation or VirtualBox.

I’ve tested it and it works. My laptop usually heats up while running VMs but now my laptop temps are about 48-55 degrees while running VMs. When idle it’s about 39 degrees. While browsing 41-45 degrees.

Now you can run VMs without overheating issues.

Source: https://adts.link/2022/10/08/how-to...ows-11-with-virtual-machine-platform-enabled/
Disable Credential Guard results in cpu power limit to 10w. And windows still doesn't allow cpu cache voltage control. My only work around is to set voltage offset in bios then having Throttlestops override voltage offset later in Windows.

Motherboard X911788-009
Memory 8 GB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Disable Credential Guard results in cpu power limit to 10w. And windows still doesn't allow cpu cache voltage control. My only work around is to set voltage offset in bios then having Throttlestops override voltage offset later in Windows.
Have you followed all the steps one by one? Do you have Core Voltage Access? What PC are you using.

Vathank

Have you followed all the steps one by one? Do you have Core Voltage Access? What PC are you using.
Yeah, following through every step and it won't work. But you know what my workaround actually get both wslg and undervolt working together. Kinda crazy to think about it. No powermonkey efi or nth. It's just work. Although it doesn't show up in hwinfo because windows block it, but I already benchmark in Cinebench r20 confirmed to have the same score and wattage usage.

C6x3m1wej7.png

WindowsTerminal_WinNJAv55C.png

Btw does disable all security feature describe above except Credential Guard may cause any major security risk?

Here my current register tweak

regedit_iAmfObDztd.png
regedit_VsRHbL9rQu.png

Motherboard X911788-009
Memory 8 GB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Btw does disable all security feature describe above except Credential Guard may cause any major security risk?

Here my current register tweak

View attachment 280482View attachment 280483
Not really. These security features are mainly for people who run servers using their Windows PC. Since you are using it for personal use, you can disable them.

Yeah, following through every step and it won't work. But you know what my workaround actually get both wslg and undervolt working together. Kinda crazy to think about it. No powermonkey efi or nth. It's just work. Although it doesn't show up in hwinfo because windows block it, but I already benchmark in Cinebench r20 confirmed to have the same score and wattage usage.

View attachment 280472

View attachment 280473
How do you do it? Through the BIOS/UEFI?

Vathank

Not really. These security features are mainly for people who run servers using their Windows PC. Since you are using it for personal use, you can disable them.

How do you do it? Through the BIOS/UEFI?
My machine is MSI GS66. There is a voltage offset in bios heck even ram OC.

Motherboard X911788-009
Memory 8 GB
Software Windows 11 Pro

Vathank

Do you have CPU Cache access in BIOS?
It has only one offset option, but it applies both value equally.

Also can you show the default registry features as it seem doesn't affect undevolting. I forget what feature are turn on by default.

Motherboard X911788-009
Memory 8 GB
Software Windows 11 Pro
It has only one offset option, but it applies both value equally.

Also can you show the default registry features as it seem doesn't affect undevolting. I forget what feature are turn on by default.
It is better to leave them turned off for performance and more fps while gaming.

caiosantt

I copied all these settings and nothing changed (undervolting still not working), any clues?
WSL2 is doing just fine at least.
I have an i5 9th gen laptop running Win 11 and ThrottleStop on.
At least the *underclocking* still works, but for some reason its now limited for 24MhZ, and I'm pretty sure I used to run it on 18 or something like that. Is this whole problem Windows 11 or WSL's fault? because i've started using both at the same time, so I could maybe go back to Win 10 if it would solve the issue, but I cannot disable WSL.
The main reason I need the undervolting and underclocking is not even the temperature, cause that doesnt bother me all that much, but it is to make the battery last longer.

I copied all these settings and nothing changed (undervolting still not working), any clues?
WSL2 is doing just fine at least.
I have an i5 9th gen laptop running Win 11 and ThrottleStop on.
At least the *underclocking* still works, but for some reason its now limited for 24MhZ, and I'm pretty sure I used to run it on 18 or something like that. Is this whole problem Windows 11 or WSL's fault? because i've started using both at the same time, so I could maybe go back to Win 10 if it would solve the issue, but I cannot disable WSL.
The main reason I need the undervolting and underclocking is not even the temperature, cause that doesnt bother me all that much, but it is to make the battery last longer.
actually now I've copied all the settings, and the undervolting worked correctly but WSL2 got disabled, so apparently it is impossible.
not only that but I'm already past the 10 days that you are able to revert back to Windows 10 after updating to 11 so I'll have to reinstall windows :mad:

Last edited: