1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TV Tuner for HD console gaming?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Darkleoco, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Getting a new TV and bringing my own when I go off to college have hit their own roadblocks so I am wondering how effective it would be to use my laptop for console gaming through a TV tuner? I have an Asus G75 which has a 17.3 inch 1080p screen and I would like to be able to use it for my PS3 if possible, are there any significant downsides to doing that?

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if things have changed in the year or two since I did this, but generally inexpensive TV Tuner boxes add about a second or two lag between the signal input to them and displaying it on the screen. This isn't really a problem when watching TV, but it makes playing games virtually impossible, because by the time you see something happen on the screen it is already a second or two past, and you can't react to it.

Though, as I said, it has been a few years since I've messed around with this so things might have improved.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    I figured as much though I am hoping to find out that is not a fault in more expensive TV tuners that would support HD.