• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Two identical 680s and a weird problem

Epxiahs

Hey guys, recently I got 2 680s, and one of them is having a weird problem. The 2 of them are 680 EVGA reference cards, one with Hynix and one with Samsung RAM modules, thats the only difference between them. For testing and stability I tried furmark and the 2nd one crashes when it hits about 62-70 degres, after a bunch of troubleshooting I narrowed it down to something related in the clock speeds, temperature and fan speed, ill elaborate:

- Both have exactly the same fan curves, the good one (Hynix) works perfectly fine with the stock curve but the 2nd one (Samsung) crashes and the only workaround is to increase fan speeds so the temperature stays under 60c, it works and its stable to some degree but it should work perfectly fine with the stock curve

- When the fan curve has its stock values and just before it crashes, the clockspeed goes over 1090 Mhz but the max boost clockspeed set by the manufacturer is 1058.

- In nvdia inspector the Estimated Max clockspeed velue for the good card is 1006 and in the second one is 1071. I flashed the the good card's bios into the faulty one, no luck, reverted it later..

I tried so far DDU'ing the drivers and reinstalling them, unistalled all OC programs and reinstalling them and the only thing that worked was modifying the fan curves, although it should work without the modification just as the good card does, what can be causing this?

System Name Asus X450JB
Processor Intel Core i7-4720HQ
Motherboard Asus
Memory 2x 4GiB
Video Card(s) nVidia GT940M
Storage 2x 1TB
Have you checked the thermal paste? Check the TIM for the VRAM too. GPU should not crash thermally at 70C unless there's some other (unmonitored?) parts getting hotter than that.

FYI next time be careful when cross flashing BIOSes between two cards even if it's the same type. Especially when there's difference in memory models. Fortunately this particular model's BIOS support both.

Epxiahs

Have you checked the thermal paste? Check the TIM for the VRAM too. GPU should not crash thermally at 70C unless there's some other (unmonitored?) parts getting hotter than that.

FYI next time be careful when cross flashing BIOSes between two cards even if it's the same type. Especially when there's difference in memory models. Fortunately this particular model's BIOS support both.
Yeah Ive changed it, card looks well, i think it might be memory corruption idk, i ran mads and C0 gave 32 erros and D1 just 1 error back. I dont know what else to do. Thanks for replying!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Replace thermql pads or get board repaired