• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Two instances of GPU-Z starting at Windows Start-up, asking for administrative rights

trichter

Dear Team,
I am on an somewhat older machine (i5-3570 and GTX 770, Win 10 64-bit).
Recently my GPU-Z (starting with Windows) asks me for permission to alter the system (e.g. the administrative rights dialogue pops up; the same as when you install new software without administrave rights).
At one ocassion i got an "GPU-Z could not find driver"-error, and i get usually two instances of GPU-z (2.7.0) running at the same time.
Ill now re-install it, and hope for the best, but id thought you should know. If i can provide logs, please let me know.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Check if you have two entries in Windows Scheduled Tasks

trichter

Check if you have two entries in Windows Scheduled Tasks

Thank you for your quick reply. This is not the case:

Unbenannt.PNG

A reinstall didnt fix this behaviour. I am still getting the "GPU-Z wants to change your computer."-dialogue.

Meanwhile, another program (Universal Media Server) fails to start with Windows although its in the start up list. This is all weird. I need myself to buy a new machine.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
The "GPU-Z wants to change your computer" dialog appears depending on your UAC settings and whether your account is a regular user or the Administrator account.

This is completely normal.

Can you start GPU-Z, uncheck the "run at startup" option, and recheck it, then get me a screenshot of Scheduled Tasks again?

trichter

The "GPU-Z wants to change your computer" dialog appears depending on your UAC settings and whether your account is a regular user or the Administrator account.

This is completely normal.

Can you start GPU-Z, uncheck the "run at startup" option, and recheck it, then get me a screenshot of Scheduled Tasks again?

Hi,
i forgot pointing out that reinstallation did solve the issue of having two instances/tray symbols. The screenshot is the same as the previous one (except i did delete some entries)Unbenannt.PNG

I don't understand why it is normal that the "GPU-Z wants to change your computer" - dialog appears upon start? it has never behaved like that.
It is also reproducible; e.g. it happens anytime i start GPU-Z, not only on windows start. What does it plan to change on my machine?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Microsoft changed the wording to include "change your computer" for some reason.

GPU-Z won't change anything, the dialog is really asking you "give the software administrative privileges so it can access the hardware"

Ooooh I just found a bug related to on startup, the command line arguments should be "-restarted -minimized" not just "-minimized".

This should help with the two instances coming up. The latest Windows 10 version will restart apps that were running at the time of shutdown.
If you shutdown while GPU-Z is running, and the startup entry exists, Windows will restart one instance and startup entry will launch a second. The -restarted command line parameter prevents that (The second instance will detect that another instance is already running and quietly exit)