• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubisoft drops Always-On-DRM, does not formally admit mistake, but kinda does.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
They're switching over to an online store model so it has Steam-like DRM instead of their single-player-saves-on-Ubisoft-servers model.

I might actually be able to buy Assassin's Creed series now without remorse. :)

Now Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are going to have to go through the same growing pains on their respective consoles.

Phusius

Processor i5-2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard Asus Z68 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 @ 1200/1475 @ 1175v
Display(s) Dell 23" 2ms
Case Carbide 500r
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
No. They may hve removed Always connected DRM garbage but they are still pushing the UbiPlaywhateveritiscalled garbage client. Thanks but no thanks.

I don't think Assassin's Creed 3 or Far Cry 3 will require this client though... :confused:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Yeah, they will. Every title they released in the past two years or so required uPlay.

Phusius

Processor i5-2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard Asus Z68 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 @ 1200/1475 @ 1175v
Display(s) Dell 23" 2ms
Case Carbide 500r
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
Yeah, they will. Every title they released in the past two years or so required uPlay.

But I won't actually have to download the Uplay Client will I and start it up like Steam? It will just automatically save my login info like it does when I launch AC 1 or 2 through my steam when it brings up the Uplay client right? It's not actually going to make me install a separate client?

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
I shall forgive Ubisoft if they make another First Person Shooter game in RainbowSix series dedicated primarily for PC.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Oh lawdy, I can't wait for the day to come when every publisher has their own digital distribution client and then other digital distribution method will sell these games that require people to install another companies client to play.

Gameception

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
But I won't actually have to download the Uplay Client will I and start it up like Steam? It will just automatically save my login info like it does when I launch AC 1 or 2 through my steam when it brings up the Uplay client right? It's not actually going to make me install a separate client?
Nope, games like Anno 2070 bought on Steam launch uPlay which, in turn, launches Anno 2070. It's no different than requiring Steam to play Portal.

Oh lawdy, I can't wait for the day to come when every publisher has their own digital distribution client and then other digital distribution method will sell these games that require people to install another companies client to play.

Gameception
Gamception indeed. What the industry really needs is a standard for digital distribution that all publishers can abide to. Think BOINC. Many vendors have their own version of the client software but they all fundamentally work the same. It gives people choice while still providing a level playing field.

What the heck happened?

Ubisoft is berated for the bass-ackwards DRM from Anno. They "fix" it by slightly less restrictions. The consumer still gives them the middle finger. Subsequently, they decide that the DRM is actually hurting rather than protecting sales.

In contrast, EA has basically stated that every game they are currently making (and have for the last two years) requires "inter-connectivity." The BS way of saying DRM because to get games to work you have to link them to three separate accounts. This being an extensions of them "no longer developing single player games" (their words, see http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119449-EA-Turns-Its-Back-on-Single-Player-Games for words from EA's label president).

I see games like Skyrim that print money, but have more bugs than can be counted. The community loves them so much that they are willing to spend $20 on DLC. They are willing to (presumably) buy DLC to do what the creation kit can already do. Why then are these companies intent on that kind of DRM foolishness? I hate that Steam is DRM, but it's DRM done well. Until EA and Ubisoft can replicate that I'm done buying their products. At least Ubisoft is moving in the right direction though...

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
@Hoff : Skyrim uses Steam. I don't really understand what you are getting at with your comments about them (Bethesda/Zenimax).

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I shall forgive Ubisoft if they make another First Person Shooter game in RainbowSix series dedicated primarily for PC.

i too will forgive all if ubisoft releases a proper rainbow six in the vein of their early releases like rogue spear.

@Hoff : Skyrim uses Steam. I don't really understand what you are getting at with your comments about them (Bethesda/Zenimax).

I can tolerate DRM that works in the background (Steam).

Origin is a problem, and so is Ubisoft's always on DRM. My comment, though worded awkwardly, was to this fact. At least that was my intention.

Ubisoft -> Steam
Origin -> DRM by "integration" and losing single player
Progress, maybe. I still have trouble wrapping my head around it.

Edit:
What I mean is that Skyrim has deep flaws, and is a completely single player experience. Despite this, it sells like crazy. EA seems to think that this is impossible. The continue to release multi-player oriented games, and blame the lack of single player games sales on the market (rather than lackluster development by them). I'm having issues understanding where EA's mentality comes from. Ubisoft is starting to make more sense, which boggles my mind.

The thing is, Steam actually brought bunch of extra goodies along with the DRM so we have forgiven it. Global achievements, cloud support etc etc, sometimes i buy the game just because of that. Because i like the cloud syncing between PC and notebook.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I think that one of the reasons that Skyrim (and the entire ES series) does so well is that it has always been an SP game and is designed to be that, and that alone. Despite it's problems, it offers a huge amount of content which is key to making a good SP game. Let's face it, Skyrim is a freakin' whole country in a box, and that is a bar set by Bethesda that many other developers can't, or don't want to, match.

If you've been keeping up with the gaming industry news, more and more of the top people are starting to admit that "content is king" when it comes to games. People no longer are happy with a few hours of fast and furious gameplay in SP, and then forced to move to MP for a continued experience. That, and the fact that many MP games are riddled with problems (bots, cheats, vulgarity/racism by users in chat, etc.), has left a lot of people with a bad taste (and that's not mentioning the lack of the developers' bringing anything new to the table to keep it fresh and exciting).

There are also the facts that the gaming landscape changes regularly, releasing new IP is risky in a downturned environment, and investors want to be kept happy and know their investments are safe (cue DRM).
These, however, are the same risks any company faces when doing business and in my mind it's just pointing fingers at others for failure to make truly compelling products that sell well.

Okay, off my soapbox. :D

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Despite it's problems, it offers a huge amount of content which is key to making a good SP game. Let's face it, Skyrim is a freakin' whole country in a box, and that is a bar set by Bethesda that many other developers can't, or don't want to, match.

I disagree. Skyrim may have a lot of stuff, but it's shallow. Content is pointless if it has no meaning, and meaningless is Bethsofts paradigm. I hate them. Tricking people into thinking they are what RPG's should be like (and I know Bethsoft doesn't herald their games as RPGs (generally) but people still think they are), just like that. Thank god for Obsidian. :shadedshu

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
@Frick : You disagree with my statement (massive amount of content) and then counter with a completely different argument (shallow content)? :p
Oh well, that's really off topic and we can save that discussion for a relevant thread. :toast:
(Edit : This is so interesting to me I think I will start a thread on it. Thanks Frick !!)

On Topic (DRM) :
I think that companies are still trying to find a good balance between keeping their fan base happy and at the same time showing their investors that they are actively working to protect their IP.
Some also tend to use "piracy" as the scapegoat term for poor sales of a lack-lustre turd of a game.
They are also stuck on the "old school" way of dealing with piracy (more DRM), which in today's digital age is ridiculous.
I do think that some of the companies are waking up to the reality that much of the oppresive (or very intrusive) DRM does not stop piracy (or even slow it), and if it does help, it makes it so difficult for the honest consumer to play their games that their sales take a hit due to frustration and aggrivation forced upon the legit buyers.

I think in the future we will see a convergence of DRM "styles" that are acceptable to all involved. Perhaps something Steam like, or perhaps something new. Time will tell.
In the mean time it will make for interesting dicussion here on TPU.

Last edited:
System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
Thank you Ubi.. You had some seriously shitty drm problems.. You destroyed Silent hunter 4 and 5 because of it.. Yes YOU did.. No one would play, because no one could stay connected. We had to find stupid methods and work around servers, to even play the game..

As far as DRM goes. Wherever there are little punk hacker, pirate, pansies, there will be pirated games..
Honest people stay honest. Criminals stay criminals.. The DRM never stops the pirates..

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
http://www.gamesradar.com/ubisoft-o...trictly-admit-it-was-mistake-drops-it-anyway/

xD Ubisoft has redeemed themselves in my book. Cheers to logic and reason. :toast:

While it's the right move, I wouldn't laud Ubisoft for doing this. Companies only stop pulling crap like this for two reasons: it's hitting their bottom line and lawsuits. They don't appear to have been sued, so they were obviously losing money since there must have been lots of people like me boycotting their products with this baked in.

Processor Intel I7 4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Gskill Sniper 2x8GB 2400 MHZ
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 780Ti GHZ Edition
Storage Samsung 240 Pro 256 GB
Display(s) Asus PB287
Case NZXT Phantom 840
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Core 3d on Motherboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 7 Pro
I'm not going to give Ubi a pass yet. They have their uplay store as well so I predict all their big titles being uplay only just like all EAs recent major releases have been only available through origin.

Kwod

System Name Crysis 3
Processor i3570+CM 212
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V
Cooling Antec 1100+3 fans
Memory 2x8gig 1600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Saphire 7950 Vapour X
Storage Samsung 250g 840
Display(s) 26in LCD 1920x1200 8 bit+37in 1080p HDTV
Case Antec 1100
Audio Device(s) Xonar DG+Z5500D
Power Supply Antec 650 Hi current
Software W7 64
I see games like Skyrim that print money, but have more bugs than can be counted.

On my PC, Skyrim is one of the most stable and bugfree games, granted it may have taken a patch or 2, lol.
Same with FO3 and New Vegas, both bugfree on PC for me, but Vegas is a crash happy bitch!!

I disagree. Skyrim may have a lot of stuff, but it's shallow. Content is pointless if it has no meaning, and meaningless is Bethsofts paradigm.

It's a combat RPG.....same with FO3 and especially New Vegas.
From that point of view, they're epic, though I installed a higher difficulty mod for Skyrim, but definitely no need to do that to FO3 or Vegas.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Are they then going to go back on the promise to make Rayman free to play again, as they did before, and then shut it down?

Sorry, I am done with them. Their bullshit antics pissed me off.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
What the heck happened?

Ubisoft is berated for the bass-ackwards DRM from Anno. They "fix" it by slightly less restrictions. The consumer still gives them the middle finger. Subsequently, they decide that the DRM is actually hurting rather than protecting sales.

In contrast, EA has basically stated that every game they are currently making (and have for the last two years) requires "inter-connectivity." The BS way of saying DRM because to get games to work you have to link them to three separate accounts. This being an extensions of them "no longer developing single player games" (their words, see http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119449-EA-Turns-Its-Back-on-Single-Player-Games for words from EA's label president).

I see games like Skyrim that print money, but have more bugs than can be counted. The community loves them so much that they are willing to spend $20 on DLC. They are willing to (presumably) buy DLC to do what the creation kit can already do. Why then are these companies intent on that kind of DRM foolishness? I hate that Steam is DRM, but it's DRM done well. Until EA and Ubisoft can replicate that I'm done buying their products. At least Ubisoft is moving in the right direction though...

Wait what? :banghead: Like it or not Steam and Origin are the exact same damn thing with a different UI. Origin actually allows me to sign when I don't have internet and play my games offline. I can't do that with steam as far as I am aware of. Won't sign me in offline.

Last edited:
System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Wait what? :banghead: Like it or not Steam and Origin are the exact same damn thing with a different UI. Origin actually allows me to sign when I don't have internet and play my games offline. I can't do that with steam as far as I am aware of. Won't sign me in offline.

Works on my end. My crap 4G internet rarely allows me to game online, so I use Steam in offline mode. Works perfect.

Kwod

System Name Crysis 3
Processor i3570+CM 212
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V
Cooling Antec 1100+3 fans
Memory 2x8gig 1600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Saphire 7950 Vapour X
Storage Samsung 250g 840
Display(s) 26in LCD 1920x1200 8 bit+37in 1080p HDTV
Case Antec 1100
Audio Device(s) Xonar DG+Z5500D
Power Supply Antec 650 Hi current
Software W7 64

Nah, steam has a offline mode.....you try and start it without net and it gives you the option to use offline mode where you can access your games, but obviously can't access the store etc.