1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ubuntu + enlightenment

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Easy Rhino, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    hey so i got bored of using kdebase on ubuntu so i decided to try enlightment. it works great! its a very nice interface and it is fast.

btw, let me say that command line install is the way to go if you know what you are doing. i installed just the base OS then installed xorg, added my ati fglrx driver and installed e17 (enlightenment) + kdm. from there i install the few packages i use xchat/swiftfox/azureus/xmms/mplayer/k3b/klibido and away i go. a fresh and clean system with no clutter and a nice interface. give it a try!!! oh and dont be afraid of using kde or gnome specific packages with enlightenment.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I didn't really like Enlightenment the last time I tried it. Might have to give it another go.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    cool, i've never ventured beyond the realms of KDE and Gnome.

I don't suppose you can guess as to how it easy it is to swap between say gnome and e17 on an Ubuntu install?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    I was going to install ubuntu/kubuntu.Does it offer dual-boot option with windows xp ?Xp already installed on partition 3.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    the ubuntu installer is really comprehensive, lets you fiddle with and pick partitions when you install it to ensure it goes where you want it

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Sure but does it have an option like "boot to previous operating system" ?

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. DIBL New Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer the "Alternate" installation CD, rather than the Live CD. You get better visibility and control of the process. But the Live CD is a good way to do a basic check that your hardware doesn't have any huge compatibility issues.

"No" to the "previous OS" question, but you can simply set it up to "dual boot" configuration -- a boot menu is presented and you pick which OS you want to boot into. Here's a good site for a lot of info including dual boot installation and partition planning:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

:)

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    yea using the alternate disc and then installing the command line really is the way to go if you are familiar with linux/bsd. i manually install everything and eliminate all clutter. and i dont be afraid to try enlightenment because you can always switch back to gnome or kde. that is what kdm/gdm is for. ive also been messing around with fluxbox and i have to say it is really fast. no eye candy and very small memory footprint. you have to do a lot of configuration thought but it is fun if you into it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Did have OSX installed on a partition but then it SNAFU`ED and now I`m wondering what to do with the empty space.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. DIBL New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can also get E17 as the default desktop on elive here:

http://www.elivecd.org/gb/Download/Development/

Try the "night" theme -- you might like it. :)

Get the "development" version for free -- it's pretty stable in my experience, and hardware-friendly. Don't let the "only for testing" stuff bother you. :laugh:

10 Year Member at TPU