• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubuntu issues

Hi guys I am having a couple problems with it. I have an old eMachines (AMD Athelon 64 3200, 1.5 GB ram ETC) I have Ubuntu 7.10 installed currentlly but I have a 20 Inch Acer hooked up but the largest the resolution will go to is 800x600 which is way off and I can not even see the whole desktop. At one point I did have the option of about 5 different resolutions instead of 2 and it was fine but I have to reformat/ reinstall and now have this issue. I also am trying to install the newest version and I burnt the DVD of the .iso image but once I put it into the Ubuntu machine it just says the image is invalid. what is the problem here? thanks

Processor Intel Core i5-4460
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
Cooling Arctic Freezer i11
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport, DDR3-1600, 2x4 GB kit
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Vapor-X
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 (120GB) + Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (1TB)
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | Acer AL1916 (in reserve)
Case Cooler Maste Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Seasonic G450
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard Qpad MK-50
Software Windows 10
Better use Unetbootin to make a bootable USB stick with a Debian (with LXDE desktop) or Linux Mint LXDE and see if it will support the graphics hardware better (plus it will be lighter than the slightly bloated latest Ubuntu). I am not entirely sure that the PC will boot from a USB stick though, but trying won't hurt. Make sure you dive into the BIOS with the stick plugged in so that you can change the boot order (stick first).