1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubuntu to switch back to GNOME, drop Unity

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by blobster21, Apr 7, 2017.

1. blobster21

blobster21

Thanks Received:
    http://www.osnews.com/story/29753/Ubuntu_to_switch_back_to_GNOME_drop_Unity

At long last !!

Just like internet explorer is used long enough only to install another 3rd party browser, Unity never got my favour and i kept going back to the Mate DE alternative.

What about you guys ?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    at last! I hate unity with my guts.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    It was Ubuntu. I just removed it and installed what I wanted anyway. All they did was change the default desktop manager.

4. insane 360

insane 360

Thanks Received:
    never had any issues other than the amazon crap...but it worked for my uses. i still prefer cinnamon or mate...

5. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Didn't really care for Unity. Went to gnome fallback and then XFCE/Xubuntu. Wierdly I have tried out other distros on usb 'live' drives but only run variants of *buntu bare metal.

Edited for some gud spelling.

6. GoldenX

GoldenX

Thanks Received:
    Unity wasn't perfect, and Mir was a useless project wasting time that could be used to improve Wayland, but Gnome is far from usable, it wastes too much space, is a resource hog (even worse than KDE 5) and I can't understand the decisions behind some of it's designs...

7. Hillbilly

Hillbilly

Thanks Received:
    While Unity did have a great goal in mind of a uniform experience across all devices. It's execution was lacking and the Amazon tie in really hurt it in my eyes.

8. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Great. Ubuntu returns to its roots :)

9. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    I actually really liked the old Gnome 2 Ubuntu with the 'human' theme and all the brown, beige and orange.

10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Never used it, so I can't say much about it, but I have never liked Gnome much.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I use Unity, it's nothing amazing... I tolerate it but, the reality is that all it's there for is menu bars, status icons, and a search menu when I hit super. In reality, that's what I would do with Gnome, that's what I would do with Windows 10, and it's what I used to do with Windows 7. So long as the windows are visible, easy to get to, and my super key works, I don't really care. I used to go all out and use i3 and customize it but, the reality is that it's overkill unless you're wicked OCD or something.

12. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    So, basically they are replacing the main distro with Ubuntu GNOME, and promising yet another transition to Wayland :laugh:
    18.04 is still more than a year away, so anything could happen (especially with Ubuntu).

Maybe it will be as usual:
    1) We are transitioning to wayland
    2) Some things don't work
    3) Proprietary drivers don't work
    4) Shit, let's roll with X again....

I really like Ubuntu GNOME (was my main distro a couple of years ago), but unfortunately it starts to look more and more like unity, and has some problems.
    Switched back to Unity and just like @Aquinus, I simply got used to the idea of tolerating it.

13. m0nt3

Thanks Received:
    I never had an issue with Unity, Mir I wasn't to crazy about. I switched to Gnome on arch because of GTK app theme issue and trying to make it look uniform and various other KDE issues. However, Arch released a openssl-1.0 update that broke certain games from launching. There are work arounds for it, but dont care to implement them and instead installed ubuntu gnome on a seprate drive. It has been fine and I may just stick with and not have to deal with Arch issues.