• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ultra Products Sues Power Supply Manufacturers

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
No, but a wall outlet is a "modular" plug-in design, which Ultra has clearly infringed upon!
I just hope this isn't in American court, I would hate to spend a dime of tax money on any type of judicial process for this garbage.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Only thing I have to say about this is that it's bad karma. What goes around comes around, no offense but I hope they lose and get countersuited.

EDIT: In other words, people cant leave well enough alone.

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Storage 2x120 SSD, (5x8tb)+(3x4tb) = 35 TB Z1 pool
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Case cooler master something i think
Audio Device(s) does anyone bother with anything but onboard?
Power Supply Whatever OCZ PC Powercooling became. 1200 modular setup
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
No, but a wall outlet is a "modular" plug-in design, which Ultra has clearly infringed upon!
I just hope this isn't in American court, I would hate to spend a dime of tax money on any type of judicial process for this garbage.

HAHAHAHA

This is so true, BTW, thanks erocker and intel-igent for agreein, its really true, ultra is crap PSUs and they are tankin now and want to take someone down with them

GJSNeptune

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 (with Scythe SFF21E)
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CAS4 DHX
Video Card(s) PALiT 9800GTX 512MB PCI-E
Storage WD2500AAKS, WD1600YS, WD1200JD, WD400EB
Display(s) LG L1920P, Viewsonic VA520
Case Lian-Li A05b (with two 120mm Yate Loon D12SM)
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Vista Business 32-bit/XP Pro 32-bit dual-boot
I'd buy a PSU from a lot of the companies they're suing before I'd buy one of theirs.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
@ erocker he gets paid every time someone uses it

System Name My last amd rig for now i love my new i7
Processor Amd fx-9590
Motherboard ASROCK Fatal1ty 990fx pro
Cooling liquid
Memory G. Skill Ripjaw ddr3 1600 x32gb
Video Card(s) Dual AMD XFX 7990
Storage Samsung 840 pro
Display(s) asus
Case Dell 1520 c2d@2.6 4gb ddr2 667 8600m gt 500gb 7200rpm hitachi
Audio Device(s) Asus ROG g60J I7@2.8 8gb ddr3
Power Supply Antec 1200w
Software windows 7 x64
hey Im not saying they arent right about their patent. But Im pretty sure that patent is not broad enough to cover that. Maybe it does, who knows.

And we are not talking about DDR2 and HSFs, just PSUs, and I cant personally speak for the quality. It was definitly lacking..... Maybe I got a dud, but I though 170 bucks would have gotten me a decent 550W PSU

thats probally why that same 550watt psu is 40$ on tiger direct now
ultra made ok psu it was hit or miss they had good effeciency for a modular but the other companies deffinatly perfected modular.

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Motherboard ASRock z68 pro3-m
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB 2 x 4GB 1600mhz
Storage OCZ Agility3 60GB(boot) 2x320GB Raid0(storage)
Display(s) Samsung 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750w
Software Win 7 x64
i honestly thought ultra had the first modular psu but i may be wrong...
in any case it was a good idea for whoever did it first

This is a joke! The guy who invented electical wall outlets should sue Ultra for infringing on his design!
:laugh: that is a good point though

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
This is a joke! The guy who invented electical wall outlets should sue Ultra for infringing on his design!

yes.. i dont see how anyone can patent plugs and sockets.. the idea has been around for a while.. he he he

trog

There'll be legal loopholes, such as Silverstone could say they use a modular powersupply with 8 pins instead of 4. It really depends how well Ultra patented their idea...

Then read the patent. It's right out on the web for you to read. It's not really as broad as a lot of people here seem to think it is. The claims are actually quite narrow. They simply patented the concept of the modular interface on the housing of the PSU (which is why the Performance-PC's one is different. It's not a modular interface on the housing) and when you take that into consideration you'll realize that the Ultra X-Connect was the first modular power supply in that respect and all of these modern day "modular" power supplies does infringe on the patent.

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
Then read the patent. It's right out on the web for you to read. It's not really as broad as a lot of people here seem to think it is. The claims are actually quite narrow. They simply patented the concept of the modular interface on the housing of the PSU (which is why the Performance-PC's one is different. It's not a modular interface on the housing) and when you take that into consideration you'll realize that the Ultra X-Connect was the first modular power supply in that respect and all of these modern day "modular" power supplies does infringe on the patent.

can you link the site that you read this at?

Processor Celeron 430 (Conroe-L)
Motherboard ASUS Rampage Formula
Cooling Water, Zalman Reserator XT
Memory Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 DDR2-1000
Video Card(s) Visiontek 2600 PRO
Storage Maxtor Maxline 3, more Maxtors
Display(s) Acer P243w 24"
Case Aspire X-Navigator ATXA9N-BK
Audio Device(s) Mbox
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
Software Protools and a bunch of racing games...
umm no this is not the same thing as that ultra came up with a good idea that sold well now a bunch of people have copied that idea and ultra isn't making as much money off it. this is like lets say chevy started putting hemi's in there cars and trucks would dodge sue? HELL YEA! that was ultra's idea and they have evrey right to defend it this is what patents are for.

off topic, but technically all multi-valve engines have hemi combustion chambers and most racing bodies like IHRA prostock have hemi heads on dodge, chevy, and ford motors. Dodge just likes putting the badge on shit, but nobody can use the HEMI brand on cars, so i guess you are kinda right with that analogy.

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
I don't know why everyone is against Ultra, but they are one of the few PSU makers/distributors offering lifetime PSU warranties upon registration. Actually, I don't know if any other PSU makers do that.

I have 3 Ultra PSU's. Two are modular (titanium silvery slick looking ones) and one is a lower end model. Never had any problems with any of them. The lower end model has been running in my server for over two years now, almost 24/7 and I mean quite literally 24/7. I'm talking perhaps about 2-3 hours of downtime every month at the most. Second one, a modular one, has been running in my media box for about year and half, not 24/7 operation but almost. Also no problems. Third one, also modular, has been in my primary machine (specs on the left) for over a year and a half, gaming mostly (handles my EVGA 8800GTX just fine).

As for the whole modular patent suit, I don't know. I believe Ultra was first to introduce them in North America, not sure. I remember reading a review about 3 years ago or so regarding the "first" modular PSU and it was an Ultra model. It was the first time I heard of a modular PSU anyways.

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit
yep the X-Connect started it

alright, so they waited years, so more companies would do the modular design and then coma in and say "ALL of you are thieves!" :laugh:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
i have an ultra x-connect 500w solid psu hasnt failed at all...everytime i mod i check volts and amps they they havent degraded any...

@addsub

really they offer warranties? how do you register?

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
I don't know why everyone is against Ultra, but they are one of the few PSU makers/distributors offering lifetime PSU warranties upon registration. Actually, I don't know if any other PSU makers do that.

I have 3 Ultra PSU's. Two are modular (titanium silvery slick looking ones) and one is a lower end model. Never had any problems with any of them. The lower end model has been running in my server for over two years now, almost 24/7 and I mean quite literally 24/7. I'm talking perhaps about 2-3 hours of downtime every month at the most. Second one, a modular one, has been running in my media box for about year and half, not 24/7 operation but almost. Also no problems. Third one, also modular, has been in my primary machine (specs on the left) for over a year and a half, gaming mostly (handles my EVGA 8800GTX just fine).

As for the whole modular patent suit, I don't know. I believe Ultra was the first one to introduce them in North America, not sure. I remember reading a review about 3 years ago or so regarding the "first" modular PSU and it was an Ultra model. It was the first time I heard of a modular PSU anyways.

Well yes, I mean you could get a no name PSU in a $30 case, and it could run 24/7 in a system that is not stressed, and it could work forever.

But I was running 2 7800GTX's with a Pentium D and 3 HD's, and a creative sound card and 2 DVDrw drives. It obviously could not keep up with the demand. Even though I was guarenteed by their tech depo that it could easily support SLI with as many HDs as I want. Thats what they told me. Granted Ill never believe that again, I was younger and dumber.

It might be a great PSU for a average system, but for a performance system, if just cannot keep up. Especially when OCing is involved. and my buddies xconnect over heated and fried a few connections on the modular connections inside the PSU. I dont think it was overheating, I think is was just pushing to much amps through the gauge wire they used.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Ultra is far from quality. Its average at best, and that perfect for 95% of computer users.

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
really they offer warranties? how do you register?

Yes, they do. It is done through their website. (Link below) All their power supplies come with a 3 year warranty out of the box, but if you register online you get upgraded to lifetime.

http://www.ultraproducts.com/warranty_info.php

Note: as per their site "Product must be registered within 30 days from the date of purchase."

It takes about a minute or two to register. Really easy.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5

As for the whole modular patent suit, I don't know. I believe Ultra was first to introduce them in North America, not sure. I remember reading a review about 3 years ago or so regarding the "first" modular PSU and it was an Ultra model. It was the first time I heard of a modular PSU anyways.

what is the point of a lifetime warranty on a piece of crud? im goign to need another one to se anyway when it gets shipped for retrns. and what about the eqipment it may or may not have killed on the way out?

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
US Patent 7133293 said:
The present invention relates to power supplies and methods of installing power supplies. More particularly, one embodiment of the present invention relates to a power supply adapted for installation within a computer case for receiving AC current from an AC current source and providing DC current from the power supply to a component disposed inside of the computer case via a removable cable attached to the power supply, comprising: a housing having an interior volume defined by a top panel, a bottom panel and a plurality of side panels; AC to DC circuitry disposed within the interior volume of the housing; and a DC output socket, wherein the DC output socket is fixed to one of the top panel, bottom panel and side panels defining the interior volume in which the AC to DC circuitry is disposed; wherein the AC to DC circuitry receives AC current from the AC current source; wherein the AC to DC circuitry converts the received AC current into DC current and supplies the DC current to the DC output socket; and wherein the DC output socket is fixed to one of the panels of the housing in a position such that when the power supply is installed within the computer case the DC output socket is disposed inside of the computer case for mating with the removable cable.

This is the description of the patent right on the site, to me all this explains is the conversion of AC to DC with sockets on the DC side for you parts.

This description could describe the cigarette lighter in your car......

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Yes, they do. It is done through their website. (Link below) All their power supplies come with a 3 year warranty out of the box, but if you register online you get upgraded to lifetime.

http://www.ultraproducts.com/warranty_info.php

Note: as per their site "Product must be registered within 30 days from the date of purchase."

It takes about a minute or two to register. Really easy.

thnx :) damn to bad i bought it over a year ago :(

Only in america *sigh*
LoL, lets not get into that, Europe has enough as well. . .
Thats funny! Unfortunately they specify PSU housing, not just housing ; P
Thank you!

Sorry I glanced through the patent but didn't see the specifics (don't have time for a thorough reading).
I think its stupid a company would wait like this, though it happens often.
I think it shows Ultra is hurting in this field.
In my personal experience I have found Ultras to be decent but I would not buy them with other available options.

This is the description of the patent right on the site, to me all this explains is the conversion of AC to DC with sockets on the DC side for you parts.

This description could describe the cigarette lighter in your car......

They do specify power supplys for personal computers all over the page. Including describing at least one fan in them.

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
They do specify power supplys for personal computers all over the page. Including describing at least one fan in them.

well yah, but thats it, thats a very broad specrum for a patent. I dont have time to dig through all the patents inside of it, I will later, but I just dont see Ultra getting anywhere with this. I could very well be wrong though

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Here's everything ultra has patented. Just reading through it now.