• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ultra Products Sues Power Supply Manufacturers

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
If Ultra wins this, why not just move the modular interface outside of the housing? Have the modular plug on say, a 1" lead. Sure, it won't be as neat, but it would still serve it's purpose.

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Motherboard ASRock z68 pro3-m
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB 2 x 4GB 1600mhz
Storage OCZ Agility3 60GB(boot) 2x320GB Raid0(storage)
Display(s) Samsung 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750w
Software Win 7 x64
If Ultra wins this, why not just move the modular interface outside of the housing? Have the modular plug on say, a 1" lead. Sure, it won't be as neat, but it would still serve it's purpose.

not a bad idea but i agree it wouldn't look all that pretty

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
This is a joke! The guy who invented electical wall outlets should sue Ultra for infringing on his design!

:roll:

Good point.

;)

System Name n.audBl
Processor E8500 @ 3.80GHz
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Full liquid (everything except power supply)
Memory 4Gb OCZ DDR2 PC9600
Video Card(s) Dual EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition
Storage Dual WD Raptor in RAID 0 (300Gb), Dual WD 1Tb Cavair in RAID 1
Display(s) Dell 2407 24" HD+ Widescreen
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fata1ty (bleh!)
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Win 7 64bit
Ultra is lame. This just makes me think they are even lamer.

Why thank you for such a substantiated and scientific analysis. You obviously have superior insight on this matter.

I can run along now and purchase a power supply knowing that I have been enlightened by brilliant research.

:rolleyes:

System Name Home/Work/Home
Processor Dual Xeon 5570 / Core i5-2.6Ghz / Dell Vostro 410 Xeon L5430
Motherboard Lenovo D20 / Dell 4110 / Vostro 410 G33 based
Cooling stock / stock / stock
Memory 12Gb / 4Gb / 4Gb
Video Card(s) 9800GT 512 / HD3000 / 9800GT 512 PCIE
Storage Geez Louise - a whole bunch !
Display(s) CRT Phillips Brilliance 204P
Case EATX / Laptop / Glorious Dell Vostro 410
Audio Device(s) stock / stock / stock
Power Supply stock / stock / stock
Mouse Zowie, is there another?
Keyboard Awesome Dell Natural (by Microsoft)
Software W2K3 Svr / W2K3 Svr
Benchmark Scores Alot / not so much / Working on it
Just a minute All, Do we understand design patents here?

I see lots of comments here, that would indicate perhaps some clarification is in order on what exactly a design patent embodies.

At USPTO, the layman definition of a design patent specifies a unique characteristic, or feature, that has yet to be documented in the history of patents.

The USPTO is rather strange (as compared to other countries), in that it seeks to identify the first instance of an invention, rather than the first recorded patent of said invention.

Carl's patent in this case seeks to patent the concept of a detachable power distribution system existing internally to a PC chassis.

After almost 3 years of review (since the application was filed in early 2005), the USPTO could not find any "first instances" prior to early 2005, of such a detachable power distribution system in prior art. As a result, the USPTO granted Carl a patent - as it should.

Kudos to Carl for having the foresight/patience to seek a patent. Note that a US patent protects Carl against US sales of his idea by foreign manufacturers, regardless of other country patents that may exist (even at an earlier date). This remains to be one of the HUGE challenges of a World marketplace. The World does not have a World Patent Office that can govern the global marketplace.

Regards,
jtleon

I see lots of comments here, that would indicate perhaps some clarification is in order on what exactly a design patent embodies.

At USPTO, the layman definition of a design patent specifies a unique characteristic, or feature, that has yet to be documented in the history of patents.

The USPTO is rather strange (as compared to other countries), in that it seeks to identify the first instance of an invention, rather than the first recorded patent of said invention.

Carl's patent in this case seeks to patent the concept of a detachable power distribution system existing internally to a PC chassis.

After almost 3 years of review (since the application was filed in early 2005), the USPTO could not find any "first instances" prior to early 2005, of such a detachable power distribution system in prior art. As a result, the USPTO granted Carl a patent - as it should.

Kudos to Carl for having the foresight/patience to seek a patent. Note that a US patent protects Carl against US sales of his idea by foreign manufacturers, regardless of other country patents that may exist (even at an earlier date). This remains to be one of the HUGE challenges of a World marketplace. The World does not have a World Patent Office that can govern the global marketplace.

Regards,
jtleon
Thanks for the info. But by this you are saying even if it did exist in Australia for example it could still be patented in the US? Or does their research for an earlier instance search world wide?

They didn't patent the plugs themselves. Again, they patented the modular interface attached to the housing of a PSU with plugs (non-specific) for the DC output cables to interface with.

But I do agree that sales might be down or something. I mean, I have no factual data on that or anything, but I was reading the ITC complaint and they're actually suing one of their own OEM's. :eek: That's no way to maintain good business relations. Andyson is listed as a defendant because they made modular PSU's for Aerocool, Hiper and Sunbeam (none of the companies are in the market anymore either... are they???) that infringed on the Ultra patent... yet Andyson is also the company that makes the X3 series of power supplies.

WTF?!? :wtf:
I think what Ultra is trying to do is get their OEM for supplying other companies with their idea.
Its like you making the SPORK and having an OEM build it for you because of their production capability. You give them the right to build it for you, but you find out they built it for Dixie as well. Because Dixie has been around forever and already has global connections they are able to sell your SPORK everywhere.

Memory 12Gb / 4Gb / 4Gb
Patent Protection Only follows the Money Trail

Thanks for the info. But by this you are saying even if it did exist in Australia for example it could still be patented in the US? Or does their research for an earlier instance search world wide?

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. No worldwide search is performed.

Patents protect the inventor in the country in which the invention is sold. For example:

Sell in US : Need US Patent
Sell in AUS : Need AUS Patent
Sell in Japan : Need Japan Patent
etc.

On the other hand, if you give away the invention, you cannot be sued.

Regards,
jtleon

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
And that's a PERFECT example of how these patents work. You HAVE TO narrow your claim. If others infinge, fine. You sue. If someone wants to use your idea and copy it exactly, they should have to pay. Otherwise, come up with a new idea. Change it enough to where it no longer infringes.

So its not a Hemispherical Head Design, just a slant?

I think what Ultra is trying to do is get their OEM for supplying other companies with their idea.
Its like you making the SPORK and having an OEM build it for you because of their production capability. You give them the right to build it for you, but you find out they built it for Dixie as well. Because Dixie has been around forever and already has global connections they are able to sell your SPORK everywhere.

Right... but to my knowledge, Andyson only made modular product prior to becoming the OEM for Ultra and the companies that Andyson did make those products for prior no longer make modular products (example: Hiper's Mark II are not modular. The original Type R is EOL. And Aerocool... when's the last time you saw those guys???)

Never mind all that even, it's just the notion of suing your OEM. I mean, are these going to want to work with you moving forward? I would think not. A company has THE RIGHT to choose who to do business with. If someone I'm doing business with tells me that they're going to sue me for something I did for someone else, I'm going to tell them to piss off when it comes to doing any future business.

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. No worldwide search is performed.

Patents protect the inventor in the country in which the invention is sold. For example:

Sell in US : Need US Patent
Sell in AUS : Need AUS Patent
Sell in Japan : Need Japan Patent
etc.

On the other hand, if you give away the invention, you cannot be sued.

Regards,
jtleon

True, prior art patents are limited to the countries of the patent, but you still have to prove that what's being designed isn't "obvious" in order for it to hold up in court. So if some company called Artlu made modular power supplies in Australia 10 years ago, isn't it in Ultra's best interest to find information on that product, patented or not, if they expect to collect any kind of licensing fees from others making the products in the U.S.? At least in the eyes of the jury that will be deciding the outcome of this case?

Memory 12Gb / 4Gb / 4Gb
What Jury...of U.S. Citizens or AUS Citizens or both?

True, prior art patents are limited to the countries of the patent, but you still have to prove that what's being designed isn't "obvious" in order for it to hold up in court. So if some company called Artlu made modular power supplies in Australia 10 years ago, isn't it in Ultra's best interest to find information on that product, patented or not, if they expect to collect any kind of licensing fees from others making the products in the U.S.? At least in the eyes of the jury that will be deciding the outcome of this case?

In this Florida court, if this case goes to a jury trial, the jury will consist of U.S. Citizens. It is immaterial that an Australian (or other) manufacturer has been building a modular PSU for 100 years, if that PSU was never sold in the U.S.

Of course, a U.S. Court has no jurisdiction over another Country, rather over U.S. based commerce. If the AUS mfctr is importing their modular PSU to sell in the U.S., they must conduct such business in accordance with U.S. laws, including patent laws. Regardless if an AUS patent exists, that is immaterial to sales in the U.S. (a U.S. patent is needed). This unfortunately illustrates the need for a World Patent Office.

Regards,
jtleon

In this Florida court, if this case goes to a jury trial, the jury will consist of U.S. Citizens. It is immaterial that an Australian (or other) manufacturer has been building a modular PSU for 100 years, if that PSU was never sold in the U.S.

Really? I was thinking that a defendant could bring forward prior art from another country and say "this was done years ago therefore the design is obvious and Ultra shouldn't have been granted in the first place" but the sounds of it, you're thinking that this would get dismissed because the case is not the validity of the patent in the U.S. but the infringement of the patent in the U.S. Right?

Man... I almost want to see this televised on CourtTV. :cool:

Memory 12Gb / 4Gb / 4Gb
JonnyGURU You Are Correct!

Really? I was thinking that a defendant could bring forward prior art from another country and say "this was done years ago therefore the design is obvious and Ultra shouldn't have been granted in the first place" but the sounds of it, you're thinking that this would get dismissed because the case is not the validity of the patent in the U.S. but the infringement of the patent in the U.S. Right?

Yes indeed, the Patent Office is not on trial here.

Regards,
jtleon