• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UMC is Feeling the Pressure from Chinese Foundries

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
The chip shortage discussion has been very focused on TSMC for some reason and although the company is without a doubt the world's leading foundry, the company is making its living from being a cutting edge foundry, whereas much of the components that there's a shortage of are made on far older nodes at many different foundries. Taiwanese UMC is one of the foundries that makes many of the automotive semiconductors, as well as key components when it comes to power regulation and is considered the world's third largest foundry.

Until 2018, UMC was competing head on with TSMC, although the company was always about a node behind TSMC, which led to a management team decision to slow down its node transition and instead to focus on speciality technologies. The company has done well in this niche, with a revenue of about US$6.2 billion in 2020. However, UMC is starting to feel the pressure from its competitors in China, as the PRC government is making a push for local production of local IC designs.

That in itself might not be a challenge for UMC, as the company is offering some unique products to its customers, such as mixed-mode RF and RF on SOI, various MEMS and CMOS image sensor solutions and high Voltage solutions. That said, some 16 percent of UMC's revenue is from companies based in China and this is likely to decline as the likes of SMIC and HLMC are starting to catch up. A bigger worry is the fact that the PRC government is giving incentives to local IC design companies if they produce their designs using local foundries.

Currently, UMC has long-term contracts with some 70 percent of its clients that stretches three to six years into the future, but with increasing competition it looks like UMC is going to have to work on bringing more advanced node offerings to its customers. It should also be noted that GlobalFoundries is currently UMC's biggest competitors when it comes to a lot of the specialty products, especially SOI type products, although GlobalFoundries are in a similar situation to UMC and both companies are going to have to invest in more advanced technologies over the next couple of years to stay competitive.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
"Taiwanese UMC is one of the foundries that makes many of the automotive semiconductors, "

So they're the reason we are waiting 6-8 months to get a vehicle??

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
"Taiwanese UMC is one of the foundries that makes many of the automotive semiconductors, "

So they're the reason we are waiting 6-8 months to get a vehicle??
No, the real reason is all the senseless accessories people expect as standard now.
Heated steering wheel, heated seats, climate control, electric moon roof, navigation system etc
Not to mention all the driver safety aides for incompetent drivers to make the roads safer.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
No, the real reason is all the senseless accessories people expect as standard now.
Heated steering wheel, heated seats, climate control, electric moon roof, navigation system etc
Not to mention all the driver safety aides for incompetent drivers to make the roads safer.
Don't get me started on moon roofs. You're either going to be an idiot like me and leave it open during a rainstorm or the drain pipes will get plugged up and water will leak into the vehicle anyways. I will say though, they're putting a lot of tech in vehicles these days. It seems to work well when I have some of these vehicles as a loaner, but my simple base model Subaru seems to just chug along just fine without any of the bells and whistles. Hell, I'm impressed with the 138k miles I've put on the OE clutch with only some noise from some bearings when it's nutty cold outside until the vehicle warms up.

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
Government giving incentives to local IC design companies if they're using local foundries is good, but it was PRC soo it's bad I guess?

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Well, I don't see how driver safety aids are anything but a good thing. They help "competent drivers" as well. Shit happens, they might/can/do save lives.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Government giving incentives to local IC design companies if they're using local foundries is good, but it was PRC soo it's bad I guess?

What the hell is wrong with you, don't you know this is the new cold war, China is bad.
Jokes aside, people are really taking this anti China thing get out of control. Like China is the only bad government in the world we all do bussiness with.

Processor Intel i7 10700F
Motherboard Asus Prime Z490-P
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock TF
Memory 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz RGB (dual rank e-die)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060 XC Gaming
Storage Patriot VPN100 256GB, Samsung 980 PRO 1TB, Intel 710 300GB, Micron M500 960GB, Seagate Skyhawk 4TB
Display(s) ASUS VG27AQZ
Case Be Quiet Silent Base 800
Audio Device(s) X-fi HD
Power Supply Corsair RM550x (2018)
Mouse Cooler Master MM720
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS
Indeed! Instead of the regulations that made our cars less durable (1 liter turbo engines and such) We should focus on banning all the unnecessary crap and make lightweight cars again.
Hell I could live even without power steering and windows (okay, AC is a must:p). This way we would not only need less energy to move the chassis but would also need less materials to produce our cars.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Well, I don't see how driver safety aids are anything but a good thing. They help "competent drivers" as well. Shit happens, they might/can/do save lives.
Indeed. The reality I see is that your average human is kinda bad at driving - we're just not that consistent in our performance at tasks like that. And that is a problem when timing and coordination are often paramount. We really aren't built for driving to begin with. That's why we try to build everything to do with it to be more for us... to accomadate for our slow, squishy bodies with their dumb brains and maybe not get us squished at unnaturally high velocities for a human to be moving at. Not to mention, infrastructure and conditions in many places are not the safest. Humans do make mistakes. We drive when we don't want to be driving, stressed out, excited about something else, what have you. We also sometimes have to drive in unfamiliar places, which may take away from the ability to react as well as one usually would.

I mean... let's say it is a matter of competency. Some drivers certainly are more competent than others. Do we just let the less competent ones die in accidents at an increased rate? Or do we maybe just look at safety features that WE may not feel we need and realize that somebody out there is still upright and moving right now because of that? I tend to agree... I don't really lament that, or blame other drivers. Driving just IS dangerous. Period.

Though honestly, kinda beside the point to me. I'd rather see less people really needing cars to get around, instead being able to use cheaper, safer alternatives. Roads and highways kinda suck... at least in America they do. They bring so many other detrimental things with them, too. Like, the roads and massive friggin parking lots needed everywhere are entire sets of absurd planning and engineering problems in themselves. The need for convenience for cars puts us all in that purgatory. I don't really need a car, personally... except nothing here is really walking distance and there is no public transit. I'd love to move around where I live with less risk and cost. I'd rather see better infrastructure and better ways of getting around than taking one way that is super-dangerous, extremely environmentally unsound, expensive, inefficient, and surprisingly inconvenient, and trying to make it a little less... all of those things by just making more stuff to go with it. I just also understand how insurmountable it would be to *really* get away from cars here. So safety features it is. Some of them, I think are rooted more in marketing than science but that just is what it is in this economy. Gotta always be selling something new or you cease to exist. A whole different problem, yet closely related to so many of our problems :laugh:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Indeed. The reality I see is that your average human is kinda bad at driving
I'm so bad at it, I opted not to renew my license after experiencing way too many issues with my self awareness skills.

For me, self driving cars can't come soon enough. For now, there is family and uber. Still safer than me on the road.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I'm so bad at it, I opted not to renew my license after experiencing way too many issues with my self awareness skills.

For me, self driving cars can't come soon enough. For now, there is family and uber. Still safer than me on the road.
People think about how complicated a self-driving car is and are always at least a little dubious. Like it's this grand milestone. But nobody ever thinks about how badly humans around them drive every single day when thinking about self-driving cars. It's an illusion. Truth is, the bar really isn't that high to begin with :laugh:

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909

Same lol. It's safer to hand me a AK-47 than putting me behind a wheel

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Patiently waiting for the next semiconductor bust due to over investment. It seems like the mature nodes will be reaping the price collapse instead of the cutting edge, we might not get cheaper graphics cards yet.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Patiently waiting for the next semiconductor bust due to over investment. It seems like the mature nodes will be reaping the price collapse instead of the cutting edge, we might not get cheaper graphics cards yet.

The cutting edge doesn't just depend on more fabs, depends on R&D to make the process efficient so there isn't much waste, the problem that plagued intel. I see all the investment going to new buildings to take advantage of government subsidies.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
The cutting edge doesn't just depend on more fabs, depends on R&D to make the process efficient so there isn't much waste, the problem that plagued intel. I see all the investment going to new buildings to take advantage of government subsidies.
Indeed.