• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Underclocking Can INCREASE Power/Heat

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling LEPA AquaChanger 240
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Storage Seagate St1000dx001
Case Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V
Hello all!
Been playing around with my GF's 980 Ti Classified recently. Specifically I've been investigating if I can lower the heat output a bit. Running both of our rigs at the same time in a small room in this summer heat is killer!

Through my testing, I had some very interesting results that I thought I'd share. I don't know, I'm an engineering major so maybe this is more interesting to me than the average joe, but here it is anyways!

So firstly, how the data was collected.
In EVGA precision, with a classified card, you can view the actual current voltage (So you can see the vdroop happening)
GPU Z tells me TDP, but there is a special circumstance. GPU Z reports a % of TDP, and this card I've BIOS modded for a TDP of 600W. Therefore it's a bit of backwards calculating, multiplying the new limit by the % to get the actual power usage.

I set the voltage using the classified voltage controller, observed it using EVGA, and calcualted the TDP using GPU-Z.

Specifically, here are two data rows:
increase heat due to underclocking.png

So in the top test I set my voltage to 1.11875 (Excel shows a rounded value). I left the clock speed alone and ran a benchmark in Heaven 4.0.
I used GPU-Z to note the MAX Temperature, Fan speed %, TDP, as well as the eventual Boost and VRAM clock speeds.
During the benchmark I watched precision for the LOWEST voltage I saw, to me for a rock solid OC that's whats important. I marked this as "Actual Voltage"

The next test everything remained the same, except for clock speed. I DECREASED it by 90 MHz. Common intuintion would assume the same, or less heat and power usage...but actually...

Power and heat went UP. The reason being, the decresed clock speed meant the card wasn't working as hard, so during the benchmark the voltage stayed higher throughout, including during the heaviest parts, meaning a higher current flow (even with the decreased clock speed) and therefore a higher TDP.

Honestly, it's actually a fairly significant TDP increase as well, as far as overclocking goes (Which is basically nickel and diming anyways :p )

Now one note, this was the TDP AT MAX. I did not record the average TDP during the runs, I imagine it too was higher, but I do not have the data. I might re-run just for fun to see.

In case anyone was interested, the heaven score with a 90 MHz underclock, and the lowest stable voltage (1.05 set, 1.02 after vdroop) ended up dropping 7%(from 2397 stock, to 2211 underclocked).
This was with a TDP drop of a little over 60 Watts (or 10%) from the stock card settings.
Max temperature dropped 5 degrees C, with a 17% lower max fan speed.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sounds like you want to drop the voltage to counter it and reap the benefits of reduced heat output. It would be desirable to do anyway when clocked lower.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Sounds like you want to drop the voltage to counter it and reap the benefits of reduced heat output. It would be desirable to do anyway when clocked lower.
Thats what I've done (See the last paragraph) I just thought it was interesting, same voltage and lower speed made a higher TDP and heat.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Happens on modern card's, downclock and they hold boost easier and longer ;)

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Happens on modern card's, downclock and they hold boost easier and longer ;)
Actually, it isn't because boost is higher.
The boost speed is the same regardless;Due to my BIOS mod my card will never downclock unless it hits high temperature (>83C)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Thats what I've done (See the last paragraph) I just thought it was interesting, same voltage and lower speed made a higher TDP and heat.
Yes, something apparently counterintuitive is interesting for sure, I'll give you that. :)

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Another interesting note.
Using the benchmark reducing the voltage at the stock speed lowered the max TDP by 4%, but in actual gaming the reduction is 10% or more.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
For as frequently as you are capturing data (I assume 1s), 1% of TDP is almost within a margin of error honestly.

These results are interesting and true for your card at the minimum. Depending on how other BIOSs are programmed to respond to lower the clock and how much it is lowered, these results may change pretty dramatically.

Using the benchmark reducing the voltage at the stock speed lowered the max TDP by 4%, but in actual gaming the reduction is 10% or more.
Makes complete sense... typically a game isn't as stressful as a benchmark.

What benchmark did you run? I think I missed that?

Use Maxwell Tweaker and adjust TDP and PWR limits directly as well as voltages and clocks. I've noticed my GTX 980 is way more stable and cooler overclocked and TDP limited than when I do the opposite and increase all of it. Or even stock!

In my case particularly, decreasing TDP and PWR to just 200W (originally 250W and 197W I think) somehow made 1443MHz overclock more stable and reliable. Before I had constant bizarre issues and behavior, clocks dipping below 1400MHz etc. Now, the lowest it usually goes is 1430 MHz due to PWR limit and other voltage parameters. In return, I could dramatically decrease the fan curve because that made it a lot cooler, so it's now a lot quieter. Thermals are now about the same because the fans are so much slower, but I'm fine with that.

Basically, you don't even have to underclock it when working with TDP and PWR parameters. You just set the desired limits and GPU Boost will do the rest on it's own. Run full throttle when possible, but will drop under heavy load to stay within limits. I've tried this when I wanted to lower power of my GTX 980 to 150W. Clocks went down significantly by itself to stay in check. Along with voltages and everything.