• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Underclocking my monitor. Yes, underclocking

Dux

So i have AOC 24G2U monitor. Freesync premium and refresh rate rande of 48-146Hz. That's what it says on web page. Now, i don't really care about trying to see can if create custom resolution with refresh rate above 146Hz. What i care is creating a minimum refresh rate at which this monitor will still display picture. Without touching any of those pixel clocks or whatever, I managed to create a 46Hz refresh rate that works normally. And freesync works with it. So i wonder is there any way to fine tune those pixel clocks and other things to get to even lower refresh rate?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 86

Dux

May I ask why you want this?
Well i want to create minimum refresh rate at which i could play games on other PC with RX 570 4GB card. If i could for example create refresh rate of 40Hz and play a game at 1080P/40Hz with Vsync on, that would be great. I can simply limit the games frame rate in Radeon settings or riva tuner to 46fps. Because this monitor has Freesync range of 46Hz upwards. Even thou it says range is minimum of 48Hz. Below 46Hz it's stutter and tearing. So a resolution with 40Hz + vsync on would be great for some higher demanding games.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
So i have AOC 24G2U monitor. Freesync premium and refresh rate rande of 48-146Hz. That's what it says on web page. Now, i don't really care about trying to see can if create custom resolution with refresh rate above 146Hz. What i care is creating a minimum refresh rate at which this monitor will still display picture. Without touching any of those pixel clocks or whatever, I managed to create a 46Hz refresh rate that works normally. And freesync works with it. So i wonder is there any way to fine tune those pixel clocks and other things to get to even lower refresh rate?
"and FreeSync works with it"? How?
FreeSync works within a given range. If that range is one frequency, we're looking at plain old V-Sync.

Well i want to create minimum refresh rate at which i could play games on other PC with RX 570 4GB card. If i could for example create refresh rate of 40Hz and play a game at 1080P/40Hz with Vsync on, that would be great. I can simply limit the games frame rate in Radeon settings or riva tuner to 46fps. Because this monitor has Freesync range of 46Hz upwards. Even thou it says range is minimum of 48Hz. Below 46Hz it's stutter and tearing. So a resolution with 40Hz + vsync on would be great for some higher demanding games.
Have you tried Adaptive V-Sync? It works a treat.

Dux

"and FreeSync works with it"? How?
FreeSync works within a given range. If that range is one frequency, we're looking at plain old V-Sync.

Have you tried Adaptive V-Sync? It works a treat.
Freesync works if i limit any game to 46fps because this monitor can display 46Hz. Documentation says 48Hz is minimum, but it's not. Adaptive vsync allows tearing if frame rate drops below refresh rate, does it not? Also even with freesync disabled, i noticed games feel a lot smoother if you just lock them to same fps as your refresh rate. So 40Hz refresh rate would still feel relatively smooth. This monitor is Freesync premium. And it has some low framerate compensation. But that just makes the games stutter without tearing if fremarate drops below 46 fps