• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Undervolt not applying

Jace

Ever since I got my laptop (a Dell G5) i've been using throttlestop to undervolt it, and it's been working like a charm. However, yesterday the undervolt just suddenly disappeared. I've tried resetting it, redownloading throttlestop, restarting the laptop, etc. None of that worked. Any help?
1585483884576.png
1585483844041.png

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
i think unclewebb said there are microcode updates from microsoft over win update that prevents any form of oc or uv.

Jace

i think unclewebb said there are microcode updates from microsoft over win update that prevents any form of oc or uv.

should i revert the update then? I do remember having to update yesterday morning

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
yes if its possible
there will be no way back to overclock with these updates
we are talking bout win10?

but you could talk to @unclewebb he is the good men behind throttlestop

geeuk

i have been trying resolve this same issue with my dell which i had for 5 days.

The day it was delivered i installed throttlestop and undervolted verified everything working as it supposed to be.

Than yesterday my fans were going crazy i checked and the offsets were stuck on 0.000 i had no clue about the the microcode changes etc if i had i would of disabled the windows updates somehow.

I also learnt that windows update can update the bios too?

I was updated to microcode version 0xCA on bios version 1.3.0 ( dell update info states the intel patch of microcode security issue on this verion )

i managed to downgrade the bios to 1.2.1 which downgraded the microcode to version 0xC6 (checking the update logs it did not mention intel security issue hence it's from oct 2019)

i done factory reset of the bios settings etc.

Long story short It's still showing locked for fivr control.

I checked mcaupdate dll under system32 but i can't seem find any old backups of this prior the update.

I don't know if reinstalling windows this old version would work but i can't risk loosing my data.

So even downgrading the bios did not work for me. I gave up and just saw this thread sorry if i hijacked it but i will be following the progress

Jace

update: tried reverting the last update, did not fix it.

thats unfortunate geeuk, i guess we just wait for the future and see if future releases can help.

Jace

no, I havent messed with the bios at all, i'll give it a try right now.

geeuk

no, I havent messed with the bios at all, i'll give it a try right now.

If it allows you give it a try because sometimes it does not allow to downgrade however with my inspiron it did. After downgrading reset the bios settings to factory (you won't loose anything) and than try again.

If you do downgrade the bios to previous version let me which version of microcode it went down to mine went from CA to C6

Reason i ask that i didn't revert the update in windows. However i did use a bootable/live version of windows 10 that also had the fivr locked so i gave up.

Jace

downgrade did not fix it, and the microcode version went to AA

geeuk

downgrade did not fix it, and the microcode version went to AA

I guess as you mentioned earlier we should leave to time.

Maybe someone can find a solution, i have searched on google and I can see many posts popping up specially on reddit with same issues as us.

Whatever update they have done it has been done in the last couple of days.

Last edited:
Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
maybe its a dell specific update ?

geeuk

I believe so because from my search everyone complaining were mainly dell users.

Nope, on Acer & with an insider build I've had the issue for at least 2-3 weeks. Not the first time Wintel have pulled this stunt, in the past they blocked non Z (boards) overclocking via this route multiple times heck I had bunch of machines BSOD because of that :nutkick:

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Given that we have so much free time on our hands I might just take that as an option :laugh:

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I believe the ME was updated and that it can't be reverted to an earlier version.

geeuk

I believe the ME was updated and that it can't be reverted to an earlier version.

100% correct i did see a warning when rewriting old bioses it kept showing a warning about me not changed.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
After going back to the previous BIOS, did you go into the BIOS and select the Reset to defaults option? That has restored under volting for some users.

geeuk

After going back to the previous BIOS, did you go into the BIOS and select the Reset to defaults option? That has restored under volting for some users.

Yes I reset it to defaults after going back to version C6. I tried reinstalling windows 10 after the reset of the bios but still had the FIVR locked.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
but still had the FIVR locked.
You might be out of luck. The only other thing I can think of is deleting the Windows microcode update file. It would be best to set a Windows restore point and save a back up copy of this file before you delete it.

C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

This is going to be a bigger problem for users than I originally thought. Anyone that wants to avoid this problem should be using a tool like Sledgehammer so they can be in charge of what Windows Updates get installed on their computer.

geeuk

The only other thing I can think of is deleting the Windows microcode update file.

I did this after downgrading the bios with microcode C6 still did not work :(

I didn't delete it just renamed it..

I than downloadeded an older version of windows 10 (from nov 2019) disabled updates and run it via usb live boot just to test if that windows version would allow undervolting but it didn't also work.

I think despite downgrading the bios the ME part of it is not actually being downgraded so that's why it's still staying locked?

Because when I downgraded i do recall seeing an error about ME failing.

Before posting i did hours worth of searching all your posts @unclewebb thanks for your advice and help.

Skywig

Hey for people still having the undervoltiong locked for me i just got in the bios and reset to "factory settings" and it was back maybe it will help someone.