• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Undervolting i7 7700HQ .. Issues Red Power PL1, PL2 ,EDP Other

System Name Dell 7577
Processor i 7700 HQ
Motherboard Dell 7577 Motherboard
Cooling Laptop Cooling 2 Fan
Memory 8 GB DDR4
Video Card(s) 1050TI 4GB GDDR5
Storage 2TB WD Blue , 256 SSD
Display(s) 1080 Full HD 15,6
Hello Guys i've been using throttlestop for sometime . Of course after knowing the throttle thing in the laptops and it begins happen to me after 6 months of Purchasing my dell 7577 I7700 HQ ..
First of all i was using it -120 mv It was working okay . after sometimes it appeared like There auto bios Install from the windows and figured out there something to disable on the bios settings to prevent the windows from installing bios updates . that because new bios Block overlock or undervolt by all means . i rolled back to 1.9.3 it was working okay than it started messing up and throttle back .
i rolled back to 1.6.1 which is was released few month's after purchasing my laptop .
Now by all means it keep throttle i tried a lot of methods even messing around with option and PROCHOT Offset 1/2/3/10 .. Or changing TPL Accords to guides here on the forums
i tried to disable Turbo on bios and the throttle was the same i tried to make the core and so to -80 its the same -140 is the same . while -140 was working fine months ago /. thermal repasted with mx4 and its great after testing it the temp is really down 15c .
Can someone Help Please

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    256.9 KB · Views: 906
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    260.5 KB · Views: 911
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    208.5 KB · Views: 902
  • Capture6.PNG
    Capture6.PNG
    241 KB · Views: 889
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Check the Turbo Boost Short Power Max box. Set the long and short power limits to their default values which is usually 45W and 60W. Set the Turbo Time Limit back to its default value which is usually 28 seconds. Do not check the PP0 Power Limit box.

Check the FIVR Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box.

Your CPU is power limit throttling. Are you using any Dell software to control fan speeds or anything like that on your computer? Something is not right. It is setting the power limits way too low. Many Dell laptops have problems like this. These power limits are set internally by the EC and using ThrottleStop will probably not be able to fix this problem.

I have heard about this problem in Dell laptops before. The newer BIOS versions might have fixed this power limit problem but they have locked voltage adjustment. Have you tried using the BIOS option Reset to Factory after installing a newer BIOS. This can unlock CPU voltage control. You can also look into modifying UEFI variables so you can use the latest BIOS and still unlock voltage control.

System Name Dell 7577
Processor i 7700 HQ
Memory 8 GB DDR4
Check the Turbo Boost Short Power Max box. Set the long and short power limits to their default values which is usually 45W and 60W. Set the Turbo Time Limit back to its default value which is usually 28 seconds. Do not check the PP0 Power Limit box.

Check the FIVR Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box.

Your CPU is power limit throttling. Are you using any Dell software to control fan speeds or anything like that on your computer? Something is not right. It is setting the power limits way too low. Many Dell laptops have problems like this. These power limits are set internally by the EC and using ThrottleStop will probably not be able to fix this problem.

I have heard about this problem in Dell laptops before. The newer BIOS versions might have fixed this power limit problem but they have locked voltage adjustment. Have you tried using the BIOS option Reset to Factory after installing a newer BIOS. This can unlock CPU voltage control. You can also look into modifying UEFI variables so you can use the latest BIOS and still unlock voltage control.
Well i have installed the newest bios 1.11 which is blocking roll back to other bios version and i figured out that even 1.10 is disabling voltage control which means no More Undervolt or overlock by anymeans . i have searched everywhere till i could roll back to 1.6.1 and factory reset it was same . i jumped to 1.8.0 now its still the same .
I have used throttle stop 9.2 Stable had these issues no thing was changed except -125 or -135 max .
Used the beta version it appears as same problem .
i have used rolled back to version 9 but its still the same .
Version 8.7 is the same as well . so now i'm back to 9.2 Beta .trying to figure out what causing the problem . most likely is the turbo limit reason / i tried to change the value to 100 and disable short Power Power max . but it stay the same . i tried 35 on on long and 50-60 on short . it worked with TS Bench as the default ratios do . it shows no Throttle but in game it really bad .
As you can see the voltage Control is working which means its not bios problem . 1.10 bios for dell is the beginning of the problem which is locked voltage control . on xtu i can see i can't control anything that for a while now maybe since 1.6.1 when i've purchased this laptop .
Now i'm really pissed off and really sad because of that .
also i forgot to mention that i removed Thermal Frame Work Uninstalled and used Remove Throttle cpu NoDPTF-master which is preventing the windows from installing this driver again I Don't have much of dell drivers installed i leave all to default except those i need drivers like Intel HD 630 And 1050ti Driver Which is up to date .

Please Help me if you can . that really disappointing i thought i would buy laptop it would be better for gaming and to take it every where when i can but this all preventing me from enjoying it . after 10 months job salary to buy it :(

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    131.4 KB · Views: 393
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    252.9 KB · Views: 404
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    81.8 KB · Views: 373
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    165.2 KB · Views: 366

unclewebb

Now i'm really pissed off
You should be pissed off. Laptops are expensive. You paid for a 45W CPU but Dell is deliberately lowering the power limit to 15W or 20W when it senses that the Nvidia GPU is active. As soon as you start playing a game, CPU performance tanks.

What Dell is doing is dishonest. No version of ThrottleStop can fix this type of throttling. :(

System Name Dell 7577
Processor i 7700 HQ
Memory 8 GB DDR4
You should be pissed off. Laptops are expensive. You paid for a 45W CPU but Dell is deliberately lowering the power limit to 15W or 20W when it senses that the Nvidia GPU is active. As soon as you start playing a game, CPU performance tanks.

What Dell is doing is dishonest. No version of ThrottleStop can fix this type of throttling. :(
But it was working okay 2 or 4 weeks ago idk what is the real problem now .
Now i was playing Call of duty maxed settings on bluestacks . with TDP 28 For Long and 44 For Short . didn't had any throttle for 2 or 3 hour heavy testing .
But on Planetside 2 and most games it'll throttle . so as i can see there specific thing i should do but i don't really know what is it since i have been trying for weeks .
Note : That on TS Bench the cpu reaches 31-32 W Stable . but he never reaches that on game or even 15 -20 watts

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    152.4 KB · Views: 405
  • Capture22.PNG
    Capture22.PNG
    582.9 KB · Views: 363

unclewebb

The TS Bench does not use the Nvidia GPU so power limit is OK.

Screenshot shows power limit throttling at 6W and 10W. That is not right. A sensor went bad on your motherboard. This tells the CPU to power limit throttle.

This is a common problem on Dell laptops.

System Name Dell 7577
Processor i 7700 HQ
Memory 8 GB DDR4
The TS Bench does not use the Nvidia GPU so power limit is OK.

Screenshot shows power limit throttling at 6W and 10W. That is not right. A sensor went bad on your motherboard. This tells the CPU to power limit throttle.

This is a common problem on Dell laptops.
maybe i should disable turbo on bios and ts ?! or the multi triple thread thing .?!
and also ts comes with turbo Disabled by default maybe it has problem with turbos now ?!

Edit : i rolled back to 1.9.3 after trying if voltage in 1.11 fixed or not or can be fixed with factory settings and it appears and couldn't be fixed . Now i'm trying to use ts Without undervolt or anything
The Watt with TS Bench goes to 42 stable . but haven't tried it on games yet .
Edit : Still the same throttle issue even after disabling Turbo and trying . the last thing is hyper thread gonna try if it gonna work without it .

Last edited:

unclewebb

Still the same throttle
This type of throttling is a feature in Dell laptops. You cannot fix it and Dell will not fix it because they think throttling the CPU when using the GPU is a good thing to do. All you can do is sell your laptop and buy a laptop from a different manufacturer next time. Most other companies do not have any of these throttling features. Only Dell.

Try installing the DPTF driver. Maybe your computer needs to have that driver installed. Removing that driver did not fix your problem so you might as well leave it installed.

System Name Dell 7577
Processor i 7700 HQ
Memory 8 GB DDR4
This type of throttling is a feature in Dell laptops. You cannot fix it and Dell will not fix it because they think throttling the CPU when using the GPU is a good thing to do. All you can do is sell your laptop and buy a laptop from a different manufacturer next time. Most other companies do not have any of these throttling features. Only Dell.

Try installing the DPTF driver. Maybe your computer needs to have that driver installed. Removing that driver did not fix your problem so you might as well leave it installed.
I Have tried even old dptf from 2015 which is versions released before the laptop itself .

Right Now trying xtu and throttlestop together . managed to -136 core , cache . and Gpu and unslice -120
Icc max for cpu 110 .
There nothing can be edited in xtu of voltage just Icc max .
now it throttles but not that much

System Name Dell 7577
Processor i 7700 HQ
Memory 8 GB DDR4
After suffering for months . it appears that throttles also can be caused by the battery if you unplug it .

unclewebb

throttles also can be caused by the battery
This type of throttling is normal. Some manufacturers do this to protect the batteries. It saves them money if the battery gets to live a leisurely life.

Some manufacturers take this to an extreme level. If the turbo power limits are set really low when running on battery power, a new laptop might perform like a 15+ year old laptop.