• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Undervolting i7 8750h, PL1, and EDP OTHER in Red

Countive

So I tried undervolting my i7 8750h and did a Cinebench r20, got around 2742 score but had PL1, and EDP OTHER flashing in the red. Not sure what this means. Here are my ThrottleStop settings.

9eda81ef859ae2cac77d50b45f26fa5f.png

If I were to get a BSODs because of the undervoltting, what would the BSOD error message look like?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
PL1, and EDP OTHER flashing in the red
PL1 under the CORE column flashing red means your CPU's performance is being power limit throttled. The 8750H has a 45W TDP rating so by design, long term, it will slow down so it does not exceed 45W. It can go higher than 45W for a short period of time but not forever. That is what PL1 is telling you.

Some laptops will allow you to make changes in ThrottleStop so you can run an 8750H way beyond 45W. Your laptop is locked so you cannot do this. You did not mention what laptop model you have. Many laptops from the major manufacturers like Dell, HP and Asus are locked down. Long term, they will be forced to throttle and slow down so they do not exceed 45W.

Countive

PL1 under the CORE column flashing red means your CPU's performance is being power limit throttled. The 8750H has a 45W TDP rating so by design, long term, it will slow down so it does not exceed 45W. It can go higher than 45W for a short period of time but not forever. That is what PL1 is telling you.

Some laptops will allow you to make changes in ThrottleStop so you can run an 8750H way beyond 45W. Your laptop is locked so you cannot do this. You did not mention what laptop model you have. Many laptops from the major manufacturers like Dell, HP and Asus are locked down. Long term, they will be forced to throttle and slow down so they do not exceed 45W.

Ah, thanks for explaining that, now I know a bit more about my CPU. My laptop model is GP73 Leopard 8RE.

unclewebb

Cinebench is a good test. Do some light load and full load TS Bench tests. It will report errors if the voltage is too low.

What tests you run depends on what you use your computer for. If you play games, try running a 3D Mark benchmark.

Search Google for more benchmark suggestions.

Countive

Will try and test using those programs and see how stable it is. Thanks for the suggestions mate!

Countive

@unclewebb

Just had a BSOD while playing a game with Throttlestop on, not sure if its related. It said something about a memory management, would that be somehow related to Throttlestop?

unclewebb

would that be somehow related to Throttlestop?
Maybe. What undervolt settings are you using? How much testing of those settings did you do? Did you run a variety of stability testing programs or just jump right into gaming?

If the voltage settings that you have chosen are not stable, you can have a BSOD at any time.

Countive

Maybe. What undervolt settings are you using? How much testing of those settings did you do? Did you run a variety of stability testing programs or just jump right into gaming?

If the voltage settings that you have chosen are not stable, you can have a BSOD at any time.

The CPU core offset voltage is -195.3mV, and Cache is -125.0mV. I did try a couple of Cinebench tests and it didn't crash. I then tried a TS Bench test and got a 10 score, but did get a "power" as its limit. After that, I jumped straight into gaming.

unclewebb

Try using less cache voltage. Maybe -110 mV. Play some games and test for stability.

Try using less cache voltage. Maybe -110 mV. Play some games and test for stability.
I am actually interested in this answer. Why is it better to back off on the cache instead of backing off on the core?

Using above example from original poster
it was unstable at core -195.3mV , cache -125mv.
is it better to go core -185mV, cache -125mV
or core -195mV, cache -110mV

assuming both cases are stable