• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Undervolting i7-9750h

Hi, I want to undervolt my cpu but have no idea how to do it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 682
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 679
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    239.2 KB · Views: 675
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 605
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 545
  • Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    327.7 KB · Views: 466
  • Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 454
  • whilegaming.txt
    87.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_8.png
    Screenshot_8.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 434
  • Screenshot_9.png
    Screenshot_9.png
    414 KB · Views: 601

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I want to undervolt my cpu
You are already undervolting your CPU. Your screenshots show that the core and cache are both set to -49.8 mV. Try using -100 mV for both instead.

I like running Cinebench R20 when adjusting the voltages. If you make a change and your Cinebench score increases, that is a good sign of better performance. Your score looks very low for a 9750H. It should be closer to 3000.

The EDP OTHER throttling in red that you are seeing is usually caused by Power Limit 4 being set too low in the TPL window. This is set to 60. Most laptops have this set to 100 or 150.

Your screenshots also show that you do not have Speed Shift enabled. I would enable Speed Shift in the TPL window. After you do this, check the Speed Shift EPP option on the main screen and set this to 80. This allows the CPU to slow down when lightly loaded but will quickly get up to full speed when needed. An EPP setting of 0 tells the CPU to run at full speed all of the time. That is OK as long as your heatsink and fan can handle that.

What laptop model do you have? Monster?? I also recommend that you check the FIVR Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option.

After making some changes, post another log file while running Cinebench R20. Thanks for sharing lots of information.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    141.3 KB · Views: 614
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    248 KB · Views: 602
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 604
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 610
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    415.8 KB · Views: 590
  • Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 569
  • 2021-01-04.txt
    15.7 KB · Views: 98

unclewebb

Before ThrottleStop
Cinebench R20 - 1772

After ThrottleStop
Cinebench R20 - 3028

I am not an expert but I think your computer is running a LOT better. Great work. :D

Any problems? Your log file shows some PL1 power limit throttling at 60 Watts. You have the Turbo Boost Long Power Max set to 60W. You could try increasing that in the TPL window to 65W or 70W. This will create more heat. If you do not want more heat, leave it at 60. Your other settings all look good.

If you have used ThrottleStop to lock your turbo power limits, try using ThrottleStop 9.2.9 to unlock them. I think the new version has power limit unlock feature.

unclewebb

Is this normal?
What problem do you have? Your CPU is running well. Sometimes in the log file your GPU slows down. Maybe your GPU is throttling. Try running a GPU-Z log file. It might show if your GPU is throttling because it is too hot or because the GPU has reached a power limit.

What problem do you have? Your CPU is running well. Sometimes in the log file your GPU slows down. Maybe your GPU is throttling. Try running a GPU-Z log file. It might show if your GPU is throttling because it is too hot or because the GPU has reached a power limit.
Uploaded wrong log file sorry

Attachments

• GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt
    840.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

unclewebb

@fadedninna - Are you having any problems? The log file shows your GPU dropping down to a slow speed but this usually only happens when the load on the GPU has dropped. This is normal. Are there any times in game where the FPS just suddenly drops for 10 seconds or anything crazy like that? Massive stutter or hitch?

@fadedninna - Are you having any problems? The log file shows your GPU dropping down to a slow speed but this usually only happens when the load on the GPU has dropped. This is normal. Are there any times in game where the FPS just suddenly drops for 10 seconds or anything crazy like that? Massive stutter or hitch?
I think that is happening beacause of the game I play, sometimes GPU usage drops around 5-30 until I restart the game.

Edit: Game's name is Warframe. Also I can test it in another game like Metro Exodus if you want.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

Cyberware

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and undervolting but I do know quite a bit about computers (studying computer science atm).
My CPU (same as fadedninna) was way too hot on high(er) loads and I found this YouTube video (
). I tried the settings (-145mV to be exact) and the result was a 25-30°C drop which was amazing. Unfortunately, I encountered already multiple BSOD's with the following error "storage data structure corruption". This means that my RAM was corrupt on the time of the crash. Again, the error only occurred on higher loads (i.e. while playing Cyberpunk or Valorant) and after 15-20 minutes or more.

I also noticed that the Core PL2 and Ring EDP Other buttons turn red when there is an increased CPU load. It's the same with or without undervolt. The other buttons sometimes become yellow but not as much as PL2 and EDP. I don't know if this is a major problem but I would like to fix it if possible.

Thanks in advance for looking into my case,
Cyberware

Last edited:

unclewebb

@Cyberware, a cache undervolt of-145 mV is almost always too much. Set that to -125 mV. Do some testing with Cinebench R20.

Start with the core at -125 mV and then increase this in steps of -25 mV. Watch your results. If R20 scores improve you are doing something right. You should never see a BSOD in any app. That is a sign that you have gone too far. Make sure you can run the TS Bench for at least 5 minutes with 0 errors. That test is a minimum test for stability.

Post screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup and run a log file when gaming. This file is valuable. It shows how your CPU is performing and if there are any throttling problems. There is a lot of useful info in the ThrottleStop forum already. Reading that forum might be more useful than some of the videos on YouTube.

Cyberware

Thank you for your fast reply, I'll keep you updated.
I changed turbo and turbo ratio settings in TPL and FIVR. Do I need to revert them to their normal values ?

I have R23 installed, is there a reason why you advice R20 ?

Update: TS-bench tests are stable (12 threads, all sizes)

Last edited:

unclewebb

Do I need to revert them to their normal values ?
You have not posted any screenshots. I do not know what problem you are trying to solve or what your settings currently are.

I prefer R20 over R23 because R20 is much faster. I also know that if a 9750H scores 3000 points or better, it is running well. If it scores 2000 points or 2500 points, it has a problem.

Run whatever you like. Just show me some details and include a log file so I can see how your CPU is running.

Edit - I finally had a quick browse through that video you posted. Do yourself a favor and completely ignore anything you learned in that video. His advice is worse than garbage. His recommended settings are brutal. The first half of his video is install Core Temp. Why? ThrottleStop shows you all of your core temperatures. No need for a second app to tell you the exact same thing. Setting the power limits to 24 Watts will kill performance. So will setting the turbo ratios that low.

Last edited:

Cyberware

Update:
1) Set all parameters to their original values.
2) I ran through some similar threads and updated the settings with your (unclewebb's) answers.
3) My CPU is still too hot and the power limiter kicks in (as it should in this case).

Attached are my settings and log file. Used TS bench 12 threads and 768M.

Attachments

• FIVR - cpu cache.PNG
    FIVR - cpu cache.PNG
    243.6 KB · Views: 274
  • FIVR - cpu core.PNG
    FIVR - cpu core.PNG
    242.7 KB · Views: 287
  • Main settings.PNG
    Main settings.PNG
    141 KB · Views: 291
  • TPL.PNG
    TPL.PNG
    81.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 2021-01-07.txt
    22.9 KB · Views: 157
  • Limits reached during last TS-bench with latest settings.PNG
    Limits reached during last TS-bench with latest settings.PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 282

unclewebb

My CPU is still too hot
I looked at your log file and the peak temperature was 88°C. Intel calls that a normal operating temperature. Intel sets the thermal throttling temperature to 100°C because they know their CPUs can run reliably up to that temperature. Your laptop manufacturer has reduced the thermal throttling temperature (PROCHOT) to 95°C so it is extra safe. You do not have to give your CPU temperature a second thought. It will look after itself. It will throttle and slow down to protect against any damage no matter what settings in ThrottleStop you use.

Where are your Cinebench tests with the core at -150 mV, -175 mV and -200 mV? For maximum performance and better temperatures, you need to do some Cinebench testing. Here are some examples.

Cinebench R20

Upgrade ThrottleStop.

Check the FIVR Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option.

If you have a laptop, you should go into the TPL window and enable Speed Shift. The Speed Shift EPP setting on the main page cannot be used to control your CPU until Speed Shift is enabled.

Some power limit throttling is normal. The 9750H is a powerful CPU. It can easily use 60W or 70W so it will get hot at these power levels. The default long term power limit is 45W. Your laptop is set to this value in the TPL window. If temperatures in the 80°C to 90°C range are already worrying you, leave this power limit as is.

See what sort of scores and temperatures you get in Cinebench. Is your laptop running better now or do you prefer slow, cool and quiet? Your temperatures are OK. I would consider setting the long term power limit higher to at least 50W or 55W. To be honest, I would go for at least 60W.

Cyberware

Attached are the tests that I ran. The details are in the filenames and I also added the latest settings (i.e. 50W long term power + 200mV undervolt).
Based on the Cinebench tests, I think there is still improvement to be made but it's going the right way.

After the R20 tests, I ran the TS Bench to check the stability of the undervolt which was completely fine (12 threads, 6144M).
The TS Bench log file logged my CPU temp around 92°C but only one core was that high. The others were mid-eighties constantly.

I always had the PL2 button in yellow/red during the tests and when the turbo switched to long term power limit I saw the PL1 lighting up yellow or red and the PL2 remained yellow for the rest of the time. The Ring EDP Other was always yellow.

And yes, I prefer a cooler laptop above the highest speeds possible.

Attachments

• FIVR - cpu cache.PNG
    FIVR - cpu cache.PNG
    244.7 KB · Views: 290
  • Main settings.PNG
    Main settings.PNG
    136 KB · Views: 278
  • FIVR - cpu core.PNG
    FIVR - cpu core.PNG
    244.4 KB · Views: 327
  • R20 - 125mV 45W (2629).txt
    46 KB · Views: 150
  • R20 - 150mV 45W (2688).txt
    18.7 KB · Views: 72
  • R20 - 175mV 45W (2752).txt
    20.7 KB · Views: 64
  • R20 - 200mV 45W (2816).txt
    16.4 KB · Views: 63
  • R20 - 200mV 50W (2883).txt
    13.7 KB · Views: 65
  • TPL.PNG
    TPL.PNG
    81.3 KB · Views: 290
  • TS Bench - 200mV 50W.txt
    68.5 KB · Views: 73

Cyberware

@Cyberware did you clean your laptop? Also repaste thermal paste if u can!
It's only a couple of months old so the thermal paste does not need to be replaced.
I need to break the factory seal to repaste the thermal paste, so that's not really and option.
Had a look at the bottom and fans this morning and it was clean from what I could see.

I just played Cyberpunk and got the log attached here. Quite happy with the temperatures and performance.
The only crash I got was at the very end (not playing anymore) because Windows doesn't like alt+tab when a game is on fullscreen mode instead of windowed.

Attachments

• Cyberpunk.txt
    369.7 KB · Views: 110

unclewebb

Quite happy with the temperatures and performance.
That is what is important. The log file while gaming looks great. Good CPU and GPU speeds. Temperatures of both are fine. No issues.

If you want a bigger number when running Cinebench, just increase your power limits up to 55W or 60W. You are in control of your laptop. You have the tool to run it at whatever speed or temperature you want.

Cyberware

Thanks a lot for the help @unclewebb.

I would also like to make a battery profile to use when the laptop isn't plugged in. Any recommendations for the TPL or other settings ?
Btw, I just noticed that the speed shift setting on the TPL screen was disabled but enabled on the main screen (that wasn't before). After enabling that setting, 'SST' appeared on the main screen.