• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Undervolting i9750h on a GF65 MSI laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm playing with the settings... Right now I have Speed Shift EEP 139.
Core and Cache -135mv.
Turbo Short 100 and Long 75.
1 to 45.

With this settings I get no error with TS bench, If I lower Speed Shift EEP valute I get EDP and Thermal (under 130 I get 90° temperatures on CPU during test).

The laptop Is New, Is It ok or I should give It back? I got It for a good price at Black Friday and games run smooth...

System Name PowerSpec 1720 (Clevo PB70EF-G)
Processor i7-8750H (UV)
Motherboard PB70EF-G
Cooling SYY 157
Memory 32GB 3000MHz 15-18-18-36 1T (OC)
Video Card(s) 115W RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 (OC/UV)
Storage 500GB WD Black SN700 NVME, 1TB Samsung 980
Display(s) 144Hz G-Sync 17.3" IPS
Case PowerSpec
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Pro-Gaming X
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Redragon K556/DITI K585
Software M$ Windows 10 Pro, Throttle Stop 9.5, MSi Afterburner, ParkControl
90C is a safe operating temperature, but it is 10C lower than Intel suggests. Sometimes this can be fixed with 'PROCHOT Offset' in Options. Try changing the value there and running TSBench to see if you can limit thermal throttling to 100C instead of 90C.

Also worth testing undervolting the Core more than the Cache. If -.135mV is stable for the cache, try increments of .010mV lower on the Core until you find some instability. You maybe able to significantly lower temperature of the CPU by taking Core somewhat lower than Cache.

If you notice a large variance between the 8 core temps, or a very quick rise in temps (say 45C to 90C in 1-2 seconds) you may need to reapply the thermal paste on the heatsink/CPU.

90C is a safe operating temperature, but it is 10C lower than Intel suggests. Sometimes this can be fixed with 'PROCHOT Offset' in Options. Try changing the value there and running TSBench to see if you can limit thermal throttling to 100C instead of 90C.

Also worth testing undervolting the Core more than the Cache. If -.135mV is stable for the cache, try increments of .010mV lower on the Core until you find some instability. You maybe able to significantly lower temperature of the CPU by taking Core somewhat lower than Cache.

If you notice a large variance between the 8 core temps, or a very quick rise in temps (say 45C to 90C in 1-2 seconds) you may need to reapply the thermal paste on the heatsink/CPU.
I'm pretty much ignorant about settings... Does keeping Speed Shift EEP to 139 reduces performance? I know GF65 Is an entry level laptop, i Just want to know if everything Is normal

System Name PowerSpec 1720 (Clevo PB70EF-G)
Processor i7-8750H (UV)
Motherboard PB70EF-G
Cooling SYY 157
Memory 32GB 3000MHz 15-18-18-36 1T (OC)
Video Card(s) 115W RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 (OC/UV)
Storage 500GB WD Black SN700 NVME, 1TB Samsung 980
Display(s) 144Hz G-Sync 17.3" IPS
Case PowerSpec
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Pro-Gaming X
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Redragon K556/DITI K585
Software M$ Windows 10 Pro, Throttle Stop 9.5, MSi Afterburner, ParkControl
EPP value directly correlates to the processor performance, yes. A better explanation than I could give; https://www.ultrabookreview.com/31385-the-throttlestop-guide/

Speed ShiftEPP (Energy Performance Preference) – Starting with Intel’s Skylake, this became the new low-level (non-software) method for governing CPU behavior. It replaced the older “SpeedStep” technology, which required software-level governance. This means that EPP should be significantly more efficient and effective than SpeedStep was. If you have a Skylake CPU or later, this should be enabled. Note: On some Skylake machines (such as the DelL XPS 15 9560), this feature was never enabled via BIOS/firmware, despite that the chipset supported it. If your system has a Skylake or later CPU but it is not enabled by default in the BIOS, you can enable it by going to the “TPL” button and checking the “Speed Shift” option in that dialogue box.

Speed Shift – EPP operates with values between 0-255, where 0 means the CPU will prefer its maximum frequency (into the turbo range, assuming you have not checked “disable turbo”), and 255 means the system will prefer running the CPU at its lowest base clocks. I would recommend a setting between 0-32 in whatever profile you will use while plugged-in or want maximum performance on, and at least 128 for your unplugged/power-saving profile. You can play around with this setting yourself and watch how the clocks change while performing a strenuous task or running TSBench. This, along with “disable turbo” and the maximum turbo clocks under FIVR are the main variables you will likely want to adjust when creating different TS profiles.

A value of 128 is Windows Default 'Balanced' mode equivalent so I'd say 139 goes more in the territory of Efficiency/Battery Saver rather than Performance. If your cooling allows, run a lower number for more performance.

It should throttle at EPP 0 and huge power draw. In all other scenarios it should not. It's a good thing MSI have left FIVR settings unlocked, but if you don't want to repaste, just turn it back. Anyway if you think it has good cooling capabilities (check forums for this model), I recommend you keep it and do the paste job in proper way with proper paste (if warranty not voided).

Try these settings. It's a mild undervolt, so you could push it further. Check it after every further tweak with TSBench and Cinebench. Check for differences between different CPU Cores. If they're higher than 10-15 degrees C between highest and lowest cores, the paste or its application is definitely the problem.

It should throttle at EPP 0 and huge power draw. In all other scenarios it should not. It's a good thing MSI have left FIVR settings unlocked, but if you don't want to repaste, just turn it back. Anyway if you think it has good cooling capabilities (check forums for this model), I recommend you keep it and do the paste job in proper way with proper paste (if warranty not voided).

Try these settings. It's a mild undervolt, so you could push it further. Check it after every further tweak with TSBench and Cinebench. Check for differences between different CPU Cores. If they're higher than 10-15 degrees C between highest and lowest cores, the paste or its application is definitely the problem.
howinfocom4.png

This is a screen taken during a session in Doom Eternal with undervolt and turbo limited to 34. Temperatures are in the second column.

temperature (1).png

These are temperatures under heavy stress with Just undervolt and everything else untouched (EEP 0)
With the settings you provided the temps get to Spike of 95°, average of 85... Plus i got Blue screen at -189mv

Last edited:
-189 for Cache or for Core? (My Cache setting is -0.0957 mV.) The ratio is usually 2:1 for Core:Cache. Find your safe spot for Cache and Core with the same mVolts. Than back it up by 10-15 mV for safety and continue increasing undervolting only for Core. It could go beyond 1000 mV, so have in mind after some value, the CPU would just ignore it. Check every step with TSBench and CB to avoid this. Check your temps with TS, not with HW.

Last edited:
-189 for Cache or for Core? (My Cache setting is -0.0957 mV.) The ratio is usually 2:1 for Core:Cache. Find your safe spot for Cache and Core with the same mVolts. Than back it up by 10-15 mV for safety and continue increasing undervolting only for Core. It could go beyond 1000 mV, so have in mind after some value, the CPU would just ignore it. Check every step with TSBench and CB to avoid this. Check your temps with TS, not with HW.
With your screen settings my TS bench signal thermal throttling.
Anyaway if I put both core and Cache to -160 nothing crashes.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
With your screen settings my TS bench signal thermal throttling.
Anyaway if I put both core and Cache to -160 nothing crashes.
Put the cache at -.080

Status
Not open for further replies.