• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Uninstalling EDGE

ismalli

What problems occur in Microsoft Windows 10 when a user uninstalls Microsoft Edge as Browser?

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard Asus X570 TUF Gaming Plus
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory G.Skill 2x8GB 3600CL16
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 850 SSD 500GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case NZXT S340 Elite
You mean what apps are affected by that. I did not notice any issues with other apps after removing of Edge. I use PC mainly for browsing (chrome) and gaming. But I think IE11 is still present on the client.

Internal Windows components are never fully uninstalled - their copy is always cached in C:\Windows\WinSxS

If you want a lightweight Windows 10 install without all the crap, install Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC.

Why do you need to do to the extreme of uninstalling it, here's a pro tip:
Don't double click edge to open it and it won't run on your system...

Internal Windows components are never fully uninstalled - their copy is always cached in C:\Windows\WinSxS
That can be removed as well. However, Windows does not run code from that directory unless the "Trusted Installer" user privilege is invoked which only happens during an update.
If you want a lightweight Windows 10 install without all the crap, install Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC.
This is a valid option, but make sure you buy a key for it.
Why do you need to do to the extreme of uninstalling it, here's a pro tip:
Don't double click edge to open it and it won't run on your system...
Incorrect. Edge will load and run in the background automatically if not removed.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
What problems occur in Microsoft Windows 10 when a user uninstalls Microsoft Edge as Browser?
When Windows redirects you to Microsoft tech pages, it usually does this by opening Edge, disregarding your default browser. That's the only thing I can think of that could be affected by removing Edge.
That said, I'm happy to keep it around, just changing the default browser so I rarely have to see it. The one thing I use Edge for is its PDF viewer. It's fast and it will handle stuff that other viewers won't (e.g. forms).

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Very likely custom configurations. My above statement refers to Edge's default behavior.

How do you configure that? And the machines at work has zero configuration other than blindly clicking through the setup. I occasinally use Edge at work and when I close it it's closed.

How do you configure that? And the machines at work has zero configuration other than blindly clicking through the setup. I occasinally use Edge at work and when I close it it's closed.
Maybe you should look in the Task Manager then. Edge is defaulted to load and run in the background for faster loading times. But it also does telemetry work, thus the reason to remove it.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Edge is defaulted to load and run in the background for faster loading times. But it also does telemetry work, thus the reason to remove it.
:( Well with just a little bit of homework we can see that several Edge components will preload, but, by default, Edge does not "run" until called up by the user.

As for telemetry, LOL. Well, lucky for us, Tin futures are down.

@ismalli - Contrary to what some folks on this site want everyone else to believe, Microsoft is not the evil Big Brother monster they claim it is. Nor do they collect "personal" data on us as some claim. Nor do they sell any information they do collect. Instead, they collect only what they need to improve the products and keep them secure. They may share that information with partners, but again, that is to improve the products. Not snoop on us. And those partners are contractually obligated to comply with the same privacy rules as Microsoft.

And of course, we can easily disable and opt out of that. See Microsoft Edge, browsing data, and privacy.

Why does Microsoft give us this control? Because unlike Google, Mozilla and others, Microsoft heard the complaints and heeded our requests because they were tried of being relentless bashed by all the MS haters who constantly bash MS (and throw in opportunistic jabs every chance they get :() because they don't trust, and are biased against MS.

Did MS used to be the an evil Big Brother? Yes! Years ago! No denying that. But after Congress, the EU and the general public made it clear that behavior would no longer be tolerated, or else, MS listened.

If someone is telling you Microsoft, Defender or Edge are spying on us, tracking everything we do, sending that information back to MS who is then selling it to others, those people are lying to you. And how do we know this? Because there are plenty of qualified experts out there constantly scrutinizing the data being sent to MS. Microsoft is protecting our passwords, contacts and personal information, and if we connect to our home network via Ethernet, the closest they know of our physical location is our PoP (point of presence), the physical location of where our ISP connects us to the Internet backbone. In my case, that is 10 miles away in the next town over! :)

If you are worried about telemetry, you need to be MUCH more worried about your ISP. They not only know, track, and log everything you do, they already have your real name, physical location, and your billing information to link that data to everything you do on the Internet - including who you send and receive email to and from.

And if you are REALLY worried about telemetry, throw your cell phone in the ocean. Your cell carrier knows everything your ISP does, plus who you texted, emailed and phoned. AND they know where you have been, where you are standing (including the aisle of the store you are in), the direction you are heading and how fast you are traveling.

Sure, you can remove Edge and no longer worry about the telemetry it might collect. But then what are you going to use as an alternative browser? If you are worried about your telemetry being collected, don't use Chrome or Firefox either. Stay off Facebook and Google. Disable the network connection to your TVs and other "smart" devices. Destroy your Alexa, Google Assistant and Siri devices too. They are all much worse than Edge. In fact, if you are worried about telemetry, get rid of all your electronic devices.

If you are just trying to free up resources, you don't have to remove Edge to do that.