• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers for Windows 10 (Dolby Digital Live/DTS Interactive)

You've got more than that on the back panel, right? Do you know what it showed before you swapped the DLL? If there's an unmodified driver that shows it correctly, you should probably START from there (that driver), but I couldn't tell you what works.

(But again, the Speakers tab is not for the Optical output.)

Last edited:
System Name NEW AAF OPTIMUS RIG
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (6C/12T)
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gammax L120T
Memory CRUCIAL Pro Gaming 32GB DDR4-3200 (@3733) (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB MSI Ventus 2X OC LHR
Storage ADATA Legend 700 PCIe Gen3 x4 256GB; ADATA Legend 800 PCIe Gen4 x4 2TB; GoldenFir SSD 1TB
Display(s) AOC VIPER 27" 165Hz 1ms (27G2SE)
Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
Audio Device(s) REALTEK S1200A (ALC1200) with AAF Optimus Audio
Power Supply REDRAGON RGPS 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Full Modular
Mouse CLAHM CL-MM386 7200DPI
Keyboard MOTOSPEED CK-108 Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
At this point, I'm pretty well convinced that the issue isn't with the "Realtek Digital Output" component, but the "Speakers" component. I should be able to tell the system that I have more than 2 speakers connected to my machine. Why am I not seeing those options in the Speaker configuration?
Check that the "rtkhdaud.dat" file exists in the "%systemroot%\System32\drivers" directory. If it exists, delete it and restart your computer.

DDL51

Check that the "rtkhdaud.dat" file exists in the "%systemroot%\System32\drivers" directory. If it exists, delete it and restart your computer.
I just installed the official 2.81 drivers and replaced the APO and APO64 DLLs in System32 with patched versions. I also searched the entire drive for rtkhdaud.dat but didn't find anything.

You've got more than that on the back panel, right? Do you know what it showed before you swapped the DLL? If there's an unmodified driver that shows it correctly, you should probably START from there (that driver), but I couldn't tell you what works.

(But again, the Speakers tab is not for the Optical output.)
I do have more than one on the back panel. I can't remember what it showed before swapping. I can swap back and check. I'll check what you're suggesting. It worked previously with the 2.80 driver.

DDL51

For what it’s worth, nothing worked, so I decided to connect an HDMI cable from my video card to a 5.1 receiver, and now surround it working as expected.

I don’t think optical is a long term tenable solution. In fact, it seems the entire industry is heading away from optical and DDL/DTSC because as much as I enjoy tinkering, HDMI seems to be a better standard that is more widely supported without the need for hacks. For further evidence, I look no further than the current generation Mac Pro; no optical in or out. Just HDMI.

Anyway, thank you all for your help and suggestions.

yeah, that happened a long time ago... for most. Playstation just stopped including Optical on their Consoles with the PS5, though I think the new XBoxes might still have it.

Luckily for me kind of, I bought an HDMI Audio Extractor with Dolby/DTS Optical support years ago not actually because of / for it's Optical output, lol.

(Unfortunately for me, away from the specific topic of this thread though, is that the original reason I bought it, specifically, has also now disappeared from sale/existence even though I still wanted it. - extraction/conversion from HDMI to 5.1/7.1 3.5mm analog - most only have the 1 stereo analog port.)

Heres the link for those who want Dolby Digital Live / Dolby Pro Logic IIx (center width/dimension controls) / Dolby Headphone/Dolby Space Expander / Dolby Natural Bass.
Please test.

Realtek Dolby
Is it possible to make these same drivers but for Realtek HDA ALC1220A for this board?

I don't ask for more. These same drivers that I quote but for that board that carries that realtek codec, those drivers were on my previous board z370, but now I have z690 and Windows 11.

System Name Medium
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard MSI 890GXM-G65
Cooling stock cooler
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) 2 * 5870 in crossfire
Storage 1 40GB intel SSD and 1 750GB WD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Case NZXT Vulcan
Audio Device(s) Logitech Clear Chat Pro USB Headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake 680 pure power with 15A, 14A and 23A 12v rails
Software Windows 7 Premium x64
Is it possible to make these same drivers but for Realtek HDA ALC1220A for this board?

I don't ask for more. These same drivers that I quote but for that board that carries that realtek codec, those drivers were on my previous board z370, but now I have z690 and Windows 11.
add for ALC1200 too :)

System Name Medium
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard MSI 890GXM-G65
Cooling stock cooler
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) 2 * 5870 in crossfire
Storage 1 40GB intel SSD and 1 750GB WD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Case NZXT Vulcan
Audio Device(s) Logitech Clear Chat Pro USB Headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake 680 pure power with 15A, 14A and 23A 12v rails
Software Windows 7 Premium x64
But it does not work, it does not install. Also the codec on my current board is ALC1220A, not 1200.
guess i got lucky with the ALC1200 not being the (ALC1200A) model

Avamander

The solution:
  1. You need to download this patcher (alternative link) that will enable the missing features.
  2. Download a driver that is still compatible with the patcher - in my case I've used version 2.82, the file name is "0009-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R282.exe" (this is a two year old driver!!! I've tried to use the official one for my motherboard but the patcher didn't work).
  3. Unzip the driver installer .exe file (using WinRAR for example) to access the contained files and patch "RltkAPO.dll" and "RltkAPO64.dll" in the "WIN64" directory (see "[Filename]" section in the patcher user interface).
  4. Install the driver (run "Setup.exe" from the extracted driver) - here you might get a warning from Windows that the driver is not signed!
  5. Reboot and finish configuration in the "Sound" window:
    a) on the tab "Enhancements" check "Disable all sound effects"
    b) on the tab "Advanced" select "Dolby Digital Live (5.1 Surround)" or "DTS Interactive (5.1 Surround)" - FINALLY!!!

This worked on Gigabyte Aorus x570 Pro with ALC1220 (VEN_10EC&DEV_1220). I had to manually install the driver over the sound device and then add a GPO to forbid installations of that device. Thanks!

However I am a tiny bit disappointed, there are no room corrections for digital output? I truly despise that the only¹ way to get everything actually working is to buy an AVR that costs literally thousands. What a robbery for what really are a few config bits. Not to mention that it's super annoying that DDL isn't de facto available and that I can't² patch the new drivers. Like, damn this whole ordeal is actually really sad.

¹ - It's not like you can actually find a new motherboard with DDL, to use a single thin long optical cable instead of three shielded ones.
² - I personally can't, not that good at reverse engineering yet.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AX
Cooling Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 with Arctic Bionix P120 ARGB Fan
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe, Kingston KC2500 2TB NVMe, Western Digital Blue 500GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow, White, with Arctic Bionix P120 ARGB Fan x 5
Audio Device(s) On board ALC1200 to Yamaha TSS-10 5.1 channel Amplifier
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed with SteelSeries QcK Prism Cloth Mouse Pad
Keyboard Logitech G815 LIGHTSYNC (Tactile)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Superposition: 4277 Heaven: 2628 3DMark Time Spy: 11776 3DMark Fire Strike: 30281
This worked on Gigabyte Aorus x570 Pro with ALC1220 (VEN_10EC&DEV_1220). I had to manually install the driver over the sound device and then add a GPO to forbid installations of that device. Thanks!

However I am a tiny bit disappointed, there are no room corrections for digital output? I truly despise that the only¹ way to get everything actually working is to buy an AVR that costs literally thousands. What a robbery for what really are a few config bits. Not to mention that it's super annoying that DDL isn't de facto available and that I can't² patch the new drivers. Like, damn this whole ordeal is actually really sad.

¹ - It's not like you can actually find a new motherboard with DDL, to use a single thin long optical cable instead of three shielded ones.
² - I personally can't, not that good at reverse engineering yet.
Glad it worked!

Yeah, I just pause Windows Updates for 2 weeks at a time. & then when I’m prompted to update them, I do Windows drivers & reinstall these Audio drivers then.

But we’re still not getting the BEST audio quality. I know this as I tried to use a HDMI extractor that took the HDMI audio from my GPU & extracted it via Optical into my speakers…& WOW what a difference that made - so much more clearer & detailed, but it was only 2 channel…such a let down…

Why can’t PC speaker manufacturers make a 5.1 set of speakers with a small amp that’s desk-mountable, with HDMI IN?…

Rhino Cracker

Hi all, I'm pretty new to this topic (using modded drivers to unlock Dolby Digital Live) and as a newbie, I have 234 questions:

1. Can it work with my sound card?
I have a "Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite" motherboard.
Gigabyte tells that it has an "Realtek® ALC1200 codec".
Windows tells me it's "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0B00&SUBSYS_1458A0CF&REV_1000"

2. How does it work? Is there a nice tutorial? (I miss it in the first post(s) of this thread)

3. Am I right, that if it worked, I will see 2 more entries in this list: "Dolby Digital Live" and "DTS Connect"?
1662962567753.png

4. What amount of delay do I have to expect from using Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect output? Microseconds? Several milliseconds? Several tenth of milliseconds, Several hundreds of milliseconds?

Best regards,
Rhino

1) Aleksandar's Dolby Natural Bass works on analog. Add your HWID from your Audio Device (Device Manager - Properties) into the .inf. Install via Device Manager, point to .inf.

2) It do Dolby Digital Live too?
If I remember correctly.

3) DTS Interactive that you can disable by pressing "default format" is doable via Hifi.ooo DTS 0.1 - read our good detailed guide.
It's a shame that great people have trouble expressing themselves universally good.

For what it’s worth, nothing worked, so I decided to connect an HDMI cable from my video card to a 5.1 receiver, and now surround it working as expected.

I don’t think optical is a long term tenable solution. In fact, it seems the entire industry is heading away from optical and DDL/DTSC because as much as I enjoy tinkering, HDMI seems to be a better standard that is more widely supported without the need for hacks. For further evidence, I look no further than the current generation Mac Pro; no optical in or out. Just HDMI.

Anyway, thank you all for your help and suggestions.

MacBook Pro until ~2013 had 3.5mm that do optical / SPDiF with plugsie.

iiTzHaRooN

hey so I just got the z5500 and it's been horrible getting it to work correctly my motherboard is rog crosshair viii hero wifi which was pretty expensive and is supposed to support 7.1, My issue is I can't get dts input on neither analog nor optical It's definitely not the speakers as when I connect them to my ps5 I can get the input optical dts. when I run a speaker test from playback settings I can hear sound from all speakers and the input shows as optical dts but that's the only time it ever worked. I don't know too much about this modding stuff but is their no simple solution without having to buy a soundcard

Tried Hifi.ooo DTS 0.1?
It's pretty neat with instructions, should work.
Beware that the FXConfigure is a virus in AutoHotkey format with remote GUI overlay, hooking on to Windows own RDP "business" services. Maybe the written "lines" in the "Load Me" .inf that is supposed to be imported with FXConfigurator can be manually put in with "APO Tool" instead (see Ferathers' packages, he used to include it).
Glhf

nordfrost

Hi, can someone please point me to the right direction?

I have ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard. According to ASUS the audio is SupremeFX8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A

My 5.1 speakers are connected via optical Optical S/PDIF port.

I'm running Win 10, the audio driver is Realtek V6094111

The problem is - windows does not seem to recognize 5.1, I only get 2 channels:

Untitled.png

Please help! Thank you!

The only way to get true 5/7.1 is with analog, or HDMI UNCOMPRESSED like from a xbox, and ur pc (depends on factors to get just 5.1 for I have yet to figure out how to get dolbly atmos to work or 7.1 to show up, but can do 5.1 uncompressed all day long through hdmi) off point sorry, but with optical it does but 2.0 and that's it. When you flip "dolby digital live, it FAKES surround form 2.0 sources and THATS IT. It even tells you when you turn it on that it makes it "surround" from 2 ch audio. That's on the pc side of things.

NOW you can play movies, and games that are able to do 5.1 (no better) from optical, but its mostly 90% all going to be 2.0 coming from ur pc unless you fake it with dolby live. Consoles are totally different and all the games can do 5.1 from optical from them, but pc's are different, movies and games have to be coded to do true dolby 5.1 off a pc to get it so mostly think of Dolbly Live as a fancy Dolby prologic kinda from back in the day when they made "surround" from stereo or movies.

Now if someone can show me 5.1 other then dolby live to show up in the spdif setting, like what op above me is showing, ID LOVE to see it ;)

I personally am a analog kinda guy. If you hooked it up in analog to your system, using the audio jacks, ur sound card will then spit out to the correct speaker if coded in surround and NOT fake it if what ur playing is codded correctly for surround sound, of which you will know if the game ur playing can spit out in uncompressed 5/7.1 for in its audio settings of the game, it will say 5.1 or 7.1, if not only real way to get ur game to play in surround is through HDMI if you see that in game audio settings through HDMI only, OR just say heck with it, and ur audio source will let you, run them analog cables and call it a day and then you can set ur pc to 5/7.1 and enjoy it. Sometimes that one cable to rule them all (hdmi/spdif) is not all its cracked up to be if you are looking for all the time true surround sound from ur PC, for again consoles that can are totally different in the way the games are codded for that system, so hook up 3-4 more analog cables to ur pc, and enjoy surround sound, and better sound IMO for its not compressed like digital is, and I personally can hear a difference.

This is a list of games codded in DD (NOT LIVE), and to play these games in TRUE DD over SPDIF you need to turn DD LIVE OFF or say heck with it and run the analog cables of which ur sound card will do whats needed in these games off the list, of which most are VERY old and only a handful will do Dolby Atmos! Click me.

Dolby Atmos supported PC games (over hdmi and if ur pc and audio system can do this codec) Click Me.

taken from toms hardware:

So, what exactly will Dolby Digital Live do? I play some games that only support stereo, but my receiver uses prologic to make the stereo audio come out of all my speakers sounding the same. If I use Dolby Digital Live will this make the game output as 5.1 with positional support?

Dolby Digital Live encodes any audio stream to Dolby Digital format. Note, if the source is beyond 5.1, the extra channels are dropped. Also note, no upmixing is performed (2.0 audio encoded using Dolby Digital Live will still output as 2.0 audio, even though the format itself is 5.1; Dolby Pro Logic/CMSS3D can still be used to upmix, however).

Dolby Digital Live has one purpose: To make a 5.1 stream fit over an optical/coaxial digital connection. (Uncompressed 5.1 audio is too large to fit over a SPDIF connection, where compressed formats like Dolby/DTS are small enough to fit).

SEE HERE (click me)

320936317_1539508326515750_510404436275867679_n.jpg

Last edited:

ElMarciano

Sorry, but the above post is so painfully wrong and misleading, that it should be deleted by a mod. People searching for info will come to the wrongest conclusions reading this.
Even the citation from tomshardware contradicts the statement of DDL supposedly being 'no true 5.1' (Read: 'no upmixing is performed'!).
DDL IS full and true multi channel sound, because actually the sole purpose of DDL is compressing discrete 5.1 PCM channels genuinely into a compressed AC3 signal keeping the original surround information.
Of course you can also enable DDL with 2.0 sources, ut it won't do any channel mapping, upmixing or whatever then.
Games that output 5.1 will be output in fully functional AC3 5.1 using DDL.

Last edited:

ElMarciano

Btw, for anyone who doesn't want to search the whole thread: I followed these instructions ans used the download from Mega given there. After some reboots and removing and deleting stock and generic windows driver it worked. Disable Windows Defender Realtime antivirus before downloading and until you have applied the patch. It's working great on my ALC887 board!

Last edited:

JamY

I just registered here to write this :-

This all crap just doesn't work as intended or as its supposed to be, means even after all these patches and cracks you are only limited to stereo channels via the SPDIF/Optical of your motherboard. Because windows(Win1020H2 here) cant detect 5.1 support for your mobo optical output in the 1st place so the games audio engine as well. All you get is 2 channel through your receiver even though it shows dolby digital on the AV receiver.

So in my opinion just don't waste your valuable time for this $h!TT instead go for analogue if your mobo has it or get a dedicated soundcard which does the realtime encoding of DDL or DTS such as creative X-Fi Sound Cards etc..

Thanks for reading this... :)

Hello. I installed the APO Driver & followed this guide and if I set Dolby Digital & launch a game it resets to 48khz 16bit again. Why is this?

Here's the APO Driver if anyone needs it.

How to use APO Driver FX Configurator.png

sshot-075.jpg

How to install Dolby Digital APO Driver.jpg

Last edited: