• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

Wooten

Hi there, first of all I want to thank 2Bad for this work.

It didn't work for me and I'll try to explain as better as I can in English

I've installed the R2.71 and I did EXACTLY the CRACKERJACK tutorial ( 18º post). I successfully installed the codec, and I can see all the options like DTS / Dolby etc... but I can't play any sound. If I try to test the speaker through windows appears an Error wich says "No se pudo reproducir tono de prueba" something like "Failed to play test tone"

My OS: W7 Home Premium x64
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5

I don't know why I have two controller hardware....

As far as I know the 990FXA-UD5 has the ALC889
Thanks for your time. I'll try to give all information as I can.

Edit: I'm trying to use the Toslink output directly to a Sony HT-DDWG800 wich of course can decodify DTS

Wooten

Thanks BossMafioso! But something really odd happened...
Now thanks you and MrHelpful I can use audio like I always did plus I can see the DTS option but when i'm going to use DTS the system becomes mute and if I try testing the output the error "Failed to play test tone" appears.

I have to say the odd thing is if I try on properties and "Formatos compatibles" (must be something like "Supported formats") when I test DTS I can hear it loud and clear, and read on my amp's osd DTS 3/2.1.

Thanks again for your time.

thewolfeye

Hellow, your mod is much appreciated. (About to try it out) :pimp:

A question, will this also "unlock" the Dolby Home Theater v4 SMART (dynamic) EQUALIZER software? (See attached image, the language on some controls/buttons are in Swedish if you feel confused)

(I have it on my older computer with a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 motherboard.)

And I really miss it on my new project an ASUS Z97I PLUS which uses the ALC892 CODEC..... :banghead:

Attachments

• DolbyHTv4_Smart_Dynamic_EQ_Software.JPG
    DolbyHTv4_Smart_Dynamic_EQ_Software.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 27,767

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
Last edited:

Big_Chops-5

I've tried it with 32&64, it installs, confirms the unsigned bs, and asks to restart. When I boot up, it's not properly installed and doesn't open. I've already permanently disabled driver signature enforcement.

I get this error when I manually launch Realtek Audio Manager;

http://gyazo.com/ca591c1f775bf4e0773d50095ead6ebf

But the realtek playback & recording devices appear.
I'm stuck at this point.

Thanks

om604

I have successfully installed R2.71 driver, on ALC888B/ALC887 :confused: working great(optical out)! :)
Can I set dts/dobly output to work always, because when I turn off Winamp or anything that produces sound, reciever says "linear PCM" and it takes about second to change back to 5.1 again, so i'm unable to hear that short sound when I plug the USB device for example?

Thanks!

System Name AMD
Processor Phenom X4 965
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Scythe Kama Angle with Arctic Cooling
Memory Corsair 8 GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 270x
Storage Kingston SSD + Toshiba HDD
Display(s) Samsung 24"
Case Fractal
Power Supply XFX 550W
Hello, I just registered to say thank you for making this work. On Windows 7 it was a bit easier to make everything work, and in Windows 8.1 well... after few tries this is what I discovered:

First you need to this: http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how...8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/ and when when everything is right with signing that sys file, in my case it wouldn't work without running in test mode all the time: http://techyblg.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/enable-disable-test-mode-in-windows-8/ . Which leaves that watermark in the bottom right corner. Doesn't bother me much, but it would be nice if that could be removed.

Also, in Realtek control panel in Windows 7 it was nice and easy to change settings, because it looked like this:

Which in 8.1 looks like this:

Yup, like it doesn't work. But it is available in control panel > sound > realtek digital out (properties) > advanced

Which is a bit annoying to turn on and off. But anyway. It works! And I can listen to all kinds of 5.1 music via s/pdif connected to AV receiver and surround! :clap:

edit: yeah, on Gigabyte GA-MA970A-UD3 with Realtek 889 chip

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Hi!

I installed Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 2.73 64 Bit but there is no file anywhere with the name RTKVHD64.sys to replace with.

Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Mouse Logitech G700
Mouse Logitech G700
With this i can finally use the logitech thx, DTS, dolby speakers i got to the full. Great sound!

RoundGrey

Hello People,
Thanks for all the good work!

I have a related issue you guys might have some ideas on: I have a gigabyte mono with a Realtek ALC892 onboard audio - I'm using this system as a headless Hifi pc and it works well via to slink (optical) to an external DAC. My problem is that for some reason the directs won't play music at 88.2 or 176Khz - even though the specs say that can do it... this is driving me mad, I wonder if your tweaked drivers can address this? or you have any other ideas? Thanks!

System Name AMD
Processor Phenom X4 965
Memory Corsair 8 GB DDR3
Display(s) Samsung 24"
Case Fractal
Power Supply XFX 550W
I don't think S/PDIF can support sampling frequencies higher than 96 kHz, doesn't matter which audio chip is in use.

Anyway, you won't get any improvements by upsampling it multiple times, that would be magic. And 48 kHz is native for most PC audio chips, even when 44.1 is selected - then they do internal resampling which destroys proper bit-stream for DTS audio CD, for example. That's why you either need bit-perfect sound card, or DTS Interactive (which you get by following instructions on this thread, yay!) to play it from PC via digital output. And still, the oldest CD player with S/PDIF, which doesn't know anything about DTS or multichannel sound, will play it perfectly. Just transports the bit-perfect stream to external decoder.

So, my advice would be just to leave at 24-bit 48 kHz if your DAC supports it. In my case selecting 24-bit 96 kHz just made it worse, even though DAC in my AV receiver supports it.

Brabus

Hi, I installed unlocked drivers, my Mainborad is an Asus P8 Z68V-Pro (Realtek ALC892), booted win7 disabling driver signature enforcement, the driver works and I hear sound, but even if I activate Dolby Digital Live or DTS in control panel, I can hear sound only from the front speakers, rear speakers and subwoofers are mute even if my amplifier (marantz sr7300), plugged via optical cable, detect a 5.1 input.
If I play a 5.1 sound test, I hear the sount that should be in rear speakers in front speakers, bur rear speakers and subwooer ar always mute.
In realtek control panel, I see only 2 speaers, any way to have real 5.1 from my PC?

Thanks for the driver and for the help. :)

System Name AMD
Processor Phenom X4 965
Memory Corsair 8 GB DDR3
Display(s) Samsung 24"
Case Fractal
Power Supply XFX 550W
Is your receiver properly set up? This looks like either he isn't getting DTS or DD, or he is still in stereo mode so it's all downmixed to 2 channels. Is there some kind of "auto" mode? Read the manual. Depends on the model, and I'm not familiar with Marantz, you should see it on your display saying about received format, or maybe even with LED notification. Something like this:

Another problem is that you expect something different from DD Live or DTS Interactive. They don't create surround, they are just a way to get non-standard surround audio (which really means something that isn't DVD standard - wiki link) to the recever via S/PDIF, so your source has to be multichannel. This feature is mainly used for games, and sometimes for surround music, most probably 5.1 flac or 5.1 DTS Music Disc. Or maybe mkv files with sound encoded into 5.1 aac, which is not recognized by most AV receivers, but you can use for example XBMC aka Kodi to play it and it will re-encode it back to Dolby Digital on-the-fly, no need to mess with drivers and settings, everything auto :)
Don't know what else could be used for really. You could use some kind of plugin in your music player to copy stereo channels to back channels, so than sound chip encodes it into something an AV receiver should recognize and you get a quasi quad sound. But then again, that is an option almost any receiver has built in, with all those "soundfields" and simulations.

To create surround from stereo in your PC you have DTS Neo: PC (and SRS and some other ways of sound virtualisation) and then part two would be to let DTS Interactive encode it into DTS stream for your receiver (or Dolby Digital Live instead). But that is something your receiver can do too, both with Dolby Pro Logic and DTS Neo decoders built in. This seems useless to be used on PC this way, but that's just me. Maybe with analog connects to amplifier and speakers without advanced electronics inside.

Your example file with ac3 (which is Dolby Digital) should work with standard driver, if everything is set up right, it has worked like that for decades now. It's mostly player settings problem, you have to tell him somewhere that you have S/PDIF or optic output and that's it, leave drivers in stereo and it should work. It is a bit complicated and hit'n'miss with all the options now when it looks like this:

This is from PotPlayer, great player with tons of options. But every player now has an install wizard where you can choose it easily.

Last edited:

Brabus

It's not a reciever issue, it's set in "auto", and if I plug the PS3 with the same optical cable, in a PS3 game or a blu ray movie all my speakers and suwoofer works correctly.
But with PC I can hear only front speakers, maybe I need to tel to SO that I have a 5.1 speakers setup, but I don't know how to do it, I don't find any option to change speakers setup.

Mobin's Child

Are we still making that list of ppl who created an account just to say thanks?
If we are, add me to it. After 7 years of running XP i had to format my computer and decided to run W7. I was loving every second of it until i ran into this 5.1 problem. You need to understand that i have a 3800$ Bose surround Sound system so i wasn't just gonna let 2.0 pcm slide. after 17 hours of research, plus the amount of time it took to read the posts #1 all the way to post #373, i attempted it and got it first shot. I was about to format back to XP had it not been for this thread.

What i have:

Windows 7 x64
Realtek ALC885

COAXIAL digital output (is what i'm using)

What i did:

1. downloaded the "R2.71 M1" (for my appropriate operating system) from the post #1
2. downloaded the original "R2.71" driver from http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2276/realtek-hd-audio-2-71-vista-7-8-64-bit/ (you can just google "R2.71 Realtek download" and get it from a website you trust)
3. Followed exactly CrackerJack's walkthrough in post #18 and Night.Fox's "additional info" in post #19.

Once all the restarting was done, I didn't even use the Dolby Home Theatre (fake 5.1) or DTS settings as my digital output was already sending the full feed and my Bose system was decoding it perfectly to Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 and DTS 5.1. My music plays great too.

In my Realtek HD Audio Manager, under the setting "Default format" in my Digital Output tab, I have NOT checked "Digital-in to Digital-out pass through mode" as it blocks the sound entirely. HOWEVER, if you open VLC, go into Tools/Preferences/Audio under Output and then Output Modules, set "Direct X audio output" and then a check box will appear right under saying "Use S/PDIF when available". CHECK IT. You should now be set!

MAKE SURE YOU'RE PLAYING A 5.1 SOURCE PEOPLE! :p

I hope this post saves people loads of time and reading, and i definitely hope it help everyone as much as it did me! HUGE THANKS to 2BAD, CrackerJack and Night.Fox!!

ishtangli

Have a laptop with ALC272. I know the front page says it is not supported but I'm just curious, why not? ALC272 spec sheet says it is supported in software.