• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

padawanjp

Processor i7-2600k 3.4 O'ced 4.4
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling V6 GT Cooler Master
Memory Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB
Video Card(s) GTX 560 Ti
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 250GB / 1Tb Wd
Display(s) Samsung 37" LED
Case Gigabyte Sumo
Audio Device(s) ALC892 Onboard
Power Supply Antec 850m
Software Win 7 x64
Thanks for sharing the method which worked for you.
Older driver interference is sadly not the issue, given that it a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 was tried as well, which of course would have no driver history whatsoever.
Just to be sure, you are using a S/PDIF Digital Output connected to your hardware decoder to which in turn your surround speakers are hooked up, either TOSLink/optical or RCA/coaxial? Of course assume so, since analog connections from sound card (discrete or onboard) to surround speakers are unable to pass through Dolby Digital or DTS encoded streams, instead requiring per speaker separate PCM channels, thus Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect would not do a single thing with an analog setup and it should even be impossible to select these options for any analog output in either Windows Sound or Realtek HD Audio Manager. :)

Yes my setup is using spdif optical since my receiver only supports optical input. Just wondering how were you able to make DDL work the first time then.:banghead: Well at least (I assume) DTS is working fine for you. There was another modded driver I came across before I saw this. You might want to have a look and try this:
http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/tutorials/175047-realtek-driver-mod-creative-x-fi-realtek-chip.html

2bad

If you report an issue, please include:

- OS (including whether it's 32 or 64 bit)

- HD Audio Codec Hardware ID (Device Manager > Audio, Video and Game Controllers > Realtek HD Audio Controller, right click and select properties, under the Details tab select "Hardware ID", you can use Ctrl + C to copy the Hardware ID.

- HD Audio Controller Hardware ID (Device Manager > System Devices > HD Audio controller). if you have multiple HD Audio controllers just post the IDs of them all.

alperuzi

I couldn't get it working on an optical connection DFI board with ALC889 on Win7x64.

Same issues, no playback, errors popping up about non working enhancements.

Tried both 2.71 and 2.72.

I'm gonna try it on my other machine next, which is a THX certified MSI board on an HDMI connction.
edit: nvm, HDMI is a whole different beast...

alas, same problem on that board, "test tone unable to play" etc... ALC887 was the chip on that MSI board.

Last edited:
System Name GHTPC
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-4440 Processor
Motherboard H81 Pro BTC R2.0
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Zotak 1650s
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 250 SSD, WD 3 TB.
Display(s) Acer EB321HQUD
Case Corsair Carbide 400R
Audio Device(s) FiiO M5/BLON-3/FiiO E10/M40x/Fiio K5 Pro/Kali Audio LP6.
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Logitech G102
Keyboard Havit HV-KB366L
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Been there done that!
This thread is worth a million dollars! Op can you unlock DTS for Asus DX as well? :p

ALC1150

Yes my setup is using spdif optical since my receiver only supports optical input. Just wondering how were you able to make DDL work the first time then.:banghead: Well at least (I assume) DTS is working fine for you. There was another modded driver I came across before I saw this. You might want to have a look and try this:
http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/tutorials/175047-realtek-driver-mod-creative-x-fi-realtek-chip.html

Transient positive glitch, it seems.
Thanks for mentioning the Gamespirit mod, did indeed try the newest version of that though appears to be incompatible with the ALC1150, at least it could not install due to incompatibility, the installer prompts such an error and aborts. Unfortunately, DTS is a no-go for the ancient Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5500, only does old Dolby Digital; TOSLink port all busted too, suppose it is not exactly the finest craftsmanship but it was not exactly expensive either way back when.
Good to know it works with your S/PDIF setup, though. Could you perhaps name the ALC chipset your sound card uses, for posterity (in case you have not yet done so)?

padawanjp

Processor i7-2600k 3.4 O'ced 4.4
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling V6 GT Cooler Master
Memory Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB
Video Card(s) GTX 560 Ti
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 250GB / 1Tb Wd
Display(s) Samsung 37" LED
Case Gigabyte Sumo
Audio Device(s) ALC892 Onboard
Power Supply Antec 850m
Software Win 7 x64
Transient positive glitch, it seems.
Thanks for mentioning the Gamespirit mod, did indeed try the newest version of that though appears to be incompatible with the ALC1150, at least it could not install due to incompatibility, the installer prompts such an error and aborts. Unfortunately, DTS is a no-go for the ancient Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5500, only does old Dolby Digital; TOSLink port all busted too, suppose it is not exactly the finest craftsmanship but it was not exactly expensive either way back when.
Good to know it works with your S/PDIF setup, though. Could you perhaps name the ALC chipset your sound card uses, for posterity (in case you have not yet done so)?

ALC892 on an Asus P8z68-v board.

2bad

Ok, my problem was solved over PM. Thanks 2bad!

Apparently due to PUMA (Protected User Mode Audio) Windows is (sometimes) making sure all user-mode audio dlls are properly signed,
I'm not sure why and when, but for now I've posted my original modification (2.71 M1), which modifies the kernel-mode driver, and does not have this issue,
unfortunately, if you use Windows Vista / 7 / 8 64-bit, you'll have to press F8 and select "Disable driver signature enforcement" before each boot, or employ one of the other alternatives suggested in the first post.

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - 32 bit and 64 bit - R2.71 M1:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/m59vre
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/34731542/file.html

Alternative method:
You're still welcome to try the alternative method (dll modification), which in some cases works:

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - 32 bit and 64 bit - R2.71 A1:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7xp03j

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - 32 bit and 64 bit - R2.72 A1:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ejgfyb

Last edited:
Ok, my problem was solved over PM. Thanks 2bad!

Care to be kind enough to share how it was solved (Or 2Bad)? I likely have the same problem(or similar), win7x64 ALC888S (i wonder what the S stands for...i doubt it's for surround).

I get the enhancements are causing problems warning when accessing the playback devices.
Headphones (Realtek High Definition Audio)

My system is just a simple frontal analog output for headphones.

At first only the Dolby Home Theater panel was avaiable through realtek's control panel (audio manager) after checking through windows playback devices the DTS panel was avaiable there and started appearing in realtek's control panel, although the options are accessible, enabling them make no difference whatsoever.

Despite the "enhancements causing problems warning" the sound works as if they were the regular non-modded drivers on all formats (bit depth and frequency range).

Last edited:

alperuzi

He sent me another mod, which causes another problem during startup (just an annoyance actually, not really a problem). I'll leave it to him to share the file.

If ur just using headphones though why do you even want these? We are mostly just after DDL and DTS connect so that we get 5.1 through optical or coaxial output.

He sent me another mod, which causes another problem during startup (just an annoyance actually, not really a problem). I'll leave it to him to share the file.

If ur just using headphones though why do you even want these? We are mostly just after DDL and DTS connect so that we get 5.1 through optical or coaxial output.

Having pseudo/dolby surround even from plain stereo (or down mixed from 5.1 in some games that allow to choose it) through dolby home theater is better than nothing until the day i might get some kind of decent 5.1 or so surround headphones.

t88powered

Worked on my Asus p8z68-v pro gen 3 using optical out to a LG 7.2 channel HTIB and to be honest I can barely tell the difference from the sound blaster z I just purchased so it may be time to return it lol.

I installed the latest drivers/mod and ran into issues when trying to test play back from windows device configuration but testing through the hardware included application I was able to hear sound and in BF3 when there is sound I can turn the player and can confirm the sound switches speakers as spin around. Windows shows I don't have DTS Connect or Dolby Digital Live selected when I know they both can be selected and afterwards I have seemingly true 5.1 surround sound.

t88powered

Just read BF3 uses the CPU to encode so the only real benefit for me is being able to send 5.1 surround over the optical output since I have a 144hz display and my HTIB only has 1 optical and 2 HDMI inputs I guess? I'm new to surround sound so the picture is still unclear to how this all works.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Just read BF3 uses the CPU to encode so the only real benefit for me is being able to send 5.1 surround over the optical output since I have a 144hz display and my HTIB only has 1 optical and 2 HDMI inputs I guess? I'm new to surround sound so the picture is still unclear to how this all works.

if you're on analogue or HDMI this makes no difference. all it does is gives you 5.1 audio over optical or SPDIF (via DD or DTS) if your soundcard did not support that as a default feature.

t88powered

if you're on analogue or HDMI this makes no difference. all it does is gives you 5.1 audio over optical or SPDIF (via DD or DTS) if your soundcard did not support that as a default feature.

I didn't mention the HDMI for any reason other then to shed some light on why I am using DVI vs HDMI and benefit from the unlocked live encoding/compression since optical is my HTIB's only other input available besides HDMI and without the compression the bandwidth usage for 5.1 exceeds optical's specs.

2bad

I have concluded that the "Failed to play test tone" issue is caused by PUMA (Protected User Mode Audio) detecting an unsigned user-mode DLL.

Oddly:
This does not happen after the DLL is replaced, and PUMA will only re-verify the DLL signature after a restart.

I have updated the original post.

Last edited:

alperuzi

btw,

replacing the setup file with the M1 mod does not work. Setup fails midway.

You have to install the original 2.71 and then change the file from system32/drivers directory.

Just a heads up to save a few minutes of trouble ;)

edit:
If you are on the F8 mode I guess the installation will work too, haven't tried that.

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
A : Manufacturer (for instance of motherboard) can choose to license, i.e. pay for, Dolby Digital Live and/or DTS Interactive on their onboard Realtek chips. Since licensing fees are involved, many OEMs do not activate these and as such they are absent in the regular driver software interface even though technically the hardware is all there, so Realtek based sound cards with compatible chips whose cheap OEMs have not paid the licensing fees can now be unlocked with 2bad's modified driver. Summarily, you need a sound card with a chipset which supports these features but has them arbitrarily disabled for cash purposes and this lovely .dll replacement kills the silly limitation needlessly blocking these awesome features.

Any thoughts on Post #44? http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3008413&postcount=44

Thanks for the reply.
I understand the part about the hardware being dormant but am unsure whether my soundcard has the support locked away. It may be a moot point since I don't do much with surround anymore and do not see how this would affect anything analogue e.g. headphones.

ALC1150

Thanks for the reply.
I understand the part about the hardware being dormant but am unsure whether my soundcard has the support locked away. It may be a moot point since I don't do much with surround anymore and do not see how this would affect anything analogue e.g. headphones.

Indeed these digital encoding features have no effect on analogue connections whatsoever, instead you might want to try the likes of Dolby Home Theater v4 for which hacks likely can be found on these forums as well, or even the currently free www.razerzone.com/surround/donate-and-download - naturally these only apply if you are not entirely satisfied with your current setup or if you are feeling adventurous and want to try surround sound emulation with headphones, as such software enhancements can be potential CPU hogs as well as introduce incompatibilities with other software which directly attempt to modify the audio stream such as audio decoders in some cases, though there is generally little permanent harm in trying them out and removing them if found to not be worth the bother.

For those suffering from Windows PUMA (me) i found a sort of workaround.

First rename the original dll to RtkAPO64.dll.org
Then place the modded dll file into the system32 folder
Create a .bat file containing this:
Code:
taskkill /f /im RAVCpl64.exe
ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll RtkAPO64.dll.Mod
ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll.org RtkAPO64.dll
net stop audiosrv
net stop AudioEndpointBuilder
net start AudioEndpointBuilder
net start audiosrv
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5
ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll RtkAPO64.dll.org
ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll.Mod RtkAPO64.dll
CD /D "C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA"
start RAVCpl64.exe -s

It shuts down the HD audio manager and stops the audio service, after that it puts the original file in place and starts the audio service. PUMA checks that the dll is 'good' and than after 5 seconds (ping) it replaces the modded file and boots the HD audio manager.
This works and DTS and Dolby home are available (Dolby home tested and works)
Used on an ASUS P5K PRO and ALC883 codec

Hope this helps.
Valk

Last edited:

iSimilaXi

Just registered here to tell you Realtek just updated the driver to R2.73 :banghead:

hero1709

Hi My driver is not signed, sorry for my bad english .. i come from germany..

MB : Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 with a Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec

Please help me :(

i need 5.1 in games over SPDIF

KeyFear

Hi there!
I`ve got following
Can u help me?
I`d try everything described here, but still no luck:
icons in panel appear (DDL, DTSI) but in games no sound at all

- OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
- Motherboard Z87 MPOWER (ALC 1150)
- HD Audio Controller Hardware ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_