• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

SilentRage47

i'm registering here to say thank you to "2bad" and "valkiscool" :)
this post is very helpful
thank you :)

in my case, the modded DLL won't "encode" Dolby Digital Live/DTS Connect, so every time i play audio with DDL/DTS enabled, it failed.
alternatively, i must use original one (as the 1st post already pointed, the settings "Default Format" sticks even we change the DLLs)

i'll try to explain what happened in my case, hopefully this can help others (and sorry for my English, not my native language)

1. Install Original R271 - confirm it works
2. in my case, i don't need to disable drivers signing/safe mode/etc
3. Rename modded RtkAPO64.dll to RtkAPO64.dll.mod and copy to Windows\System32
4a. Create START.BAT with this line :
Code:
taskkill /f /im RAVCpl64.exe
ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll RtkAPO64.dll.org
ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll.mod RtkAPO64.dll
net stop audiosrv
net stop AudioEndpointBuilder
net start AudioEndpointBuilder
net start audiosrv
CD /D "C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA"
start RAVCpl64.exe -s
4b. Create STOP.BAT with this line :
Code:
taskkill /f /im RAVCpl64.exe
ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll RtkAPO64.dll.mod
ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll.org RtkAPO64.dll
net stop audiosrv
net stop AudioEndpointBuilder
net start AudioEndpointBuilder
net start audiosrv
CD /D "C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA"
start RAVCpl64.exe -s
5. To enable DDL/DTS menu in "Realtek HD Audio Manager", run START.BAT as Administrators
6. Change Settings relating to "modded driver" (at this point, my Windows failed to play any audio)
7. So i need to change the DLL again to original one by running STOP.BAT as Administrators
8. Profit :)
9. Repeat step 5 to 7 if you want to edit another settings
This worked for me! Thank you. Is there any way to use the realtek software to test the configuration ? I can't change my settings under "Speaker", i can only access the optical tab but there is no speaker configuration in there.

gthua

I got Dolby ProLogic II only also, no "X". Anyone know what makes the difference? Or how can I re-enable it?

Thanks a lot!

To enable Pro Logic IIx (yes! have "x") ,you must set speaker to 7.1

Good luck!

Attachments

• 2013-12-07_220325.png
    2013-12-07_220325.png
    170 KB · Views: 94,817
  • 2013-12-07_220347.png
    2013-12-07_220347.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 31,174
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Hi im interested in trying this but is there any point on a humble stereo setup?

e-ghost

To enable Pro Logic IIx (yes! have "x") ,you must set speaker to 7.1

Good luck!

Thanks! It works!!

BTW, as this unlock options provide:
- Dolby Digital Live
- DTS Interactive

Can it capable to encode 7.1 channels audio into corresponding dts/dd and output by optical/coaxial?

Thanks a lot!

General Zod

I'm writing to thank 2bad for this fix, works great for me! I have a gigabyte x79-up4 mobo with azalia onboard sound. I replaced the file in the driver installer with your file. Then I used DSEO to sign the file. I went into the device manager and uninstalled Realtek HD audio device and checked box that deletes driver software. I then installed the new driver with the new file and told windows to install anyway when it asked me. Next I had DSEO enable test mode and rebooted. The final step was to go to Sound, manage audio devices, Realtek digital output(optical), properties, advanced, select DTS or Dolby 5.1 and apply. Also make sure it is your default device. Now I have DTS or Dolby over my optical cable on my DTS/Dolby capable receiver. This is verified by the DTS or Dolby indicators being lit on my receiver and I used the audio test on the game Splinter Cell Blacklist. The good thing about using DSEO is you do not have to hit f8 to get windows in test mode every reboot, it just leaves it in test mode for however long you want.

gthua

Thanks! It works!!

BTW, as this unlock options provide:
- Dolby Digital Live
- DTS Interactive

Can it capable to encode 7.1 channels audio into corresponding dts/dd and output by optical/coaxial?

Thanks a lot!

In Dolby Digital Live & DTS Interactive can encode to 5.1 surround sound to receiver(using optical or coaxial) . In receiver have support up 7.1 channel , you can set Surround back channel to On" or enable it. It will up 7.1 sound.

You can use Dolby Prologic IIx on receiver to up 7.1 sound

Goodluck !

Sorry my English it very bad....

EDIT: Got it working with ALC898 on a Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WIFI using optical output to my Logitech Z5500's with them detecting DDL / DTS signals, and all 6 channels are working!

1. I re-installed using the basic R2.71 drivers "64bit_Vista_Win7_Win8_R271.exe" not the custom ones "mb_driver_audio_realtek_azalia_x79_170.zip" from my motherboard website.

2. Used the alternative 'A1' method along with the .bat script from ils
Using these batch to start and stopped allowed me to select the DDL and DTs options in Realtek Audio Manager.

I have hosted a backup of all the files required to do this and included them in this single package..
mirror1: http://sdrv.ms/190JaTX
mirror2: http://empire.ispeeds.net/~delphi/realtek_DTS_DDL_modded_driver.rar

Code:
INSTALL / USE:-

01. Install R2.71 drivers, "01_64bit_Vista_Win7_Win8_R271.exe" then reboot pc.
02. Check Driver information is correct "02_info.png" "6.0.1.6873".
03. Run 03_start.bat", this will stop the realtek audio manager, copy over the modded driver and then reload realtek audio manager, allowing you to then select dts or ddl as a default format.
04. Select DTS or DDL from within Realtek Audio Manager, "04_dts-ddl.png".
05. Run "05_stop.bat", this will stop realtek audio manager, replace the modded driver back with the orignal, then restart the audio manager again.

Keep up the good work, I shall be keeping an eye on this for further developments.

While im here, I would like to share the following commands...

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

These will disable driver signing checks so that a user does not need to hammer F8 and choose the options during boot.

Many thanks.
Delph.

Last edited:

Patolin

Works great here with alc887, but it's possible to make something similar for asus xonar cards?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
enabled this on three more systems. not testing them, but the new options do show up (i'm using the drop in .dll file)

killdozer56

Hi
sorry for my English I'm french.

Works for me on MB Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 with ALC 892(optical out) connected on Yamaha HTR-5730 ( new option DDL 5.1 and DTS interactive5.1)
and on MB Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 with ALC 889(optical out) (DDL 5.1 already active with this MB+ new DTS interactive 5.1)
Work with drivers 2.71 and 2.72

Windows 8.1 pro 64bits
I installed the normal drivers from Realtek. Rename the file RTKAPO64.dll in Windows\system32 and copy and paste the unlocked RTKAPO64.dll
and Reboot.
No need to enabled Test mode. No need the batch file.

Great works !!!
Many thanks.

Last edited:

loanstar744

Like many others I signed up just to add my two cents, although I've been lurking around TPU for quite some time.
I think these modded drivers are fantastic, a little bit of a pain to install but when I did successfully install them it does show up as I'm using DTS 5.1 ALL the time, but it isn't really working, it's more like simulated surround or virtual surround. I've tested a handful of games such as Saints Row The Third and both Left 4 Dead games. When I switch between Multi Channel (3 RCA cables, Surround, Front, Sub/Center) it sounds amazing being able to hear every tiny detail around every corner and hearing when an enemy was behind me or hearing a random pedestrian talking as I drive by and hearing it go through the center all the way to the rear channel as I pass by. But using Optical with DTS 5.1 I hear no such thing besides simulated surround or just standard stereo surround yet my Yamaha automatically switches to DTS the second I play a game. Is this what other people assume is true surround or is this really working for them but not me?

Specs:
Audio Codec: Realtek ALC 892
Motherboard: ASUS M5A88V-Evo
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V363

Now I would be using multi channel all the time but it allows hardly any bass through the surround speakers and forces it through to the sub channel out which doesn't work for me since I have two ported 12" Polk Audio subs in my Cerwin Vega D-407429 monitor cabinets, the good ones, way before they turned into cheap Chinese crap. But that aside my Yamaha also won't let me adjust ANY audio setting when switched to the Multi Channel input which makes adjusting even more difficult and the Realtek Speaker Config tab doesn't offer the settings I'm looking for and also won't allow me to change the bass to come out of the front speakers instead of the sub channel, bass is allowed into the surround channels but it's very quiet because I can't adjust my Yamaha settings when under Multi Channel, any suggestions?

advarp

I have a different sort of problem. I have bought an ASRock Z87e-itx specifically for being advertised with DTS Interactive (and connect) - to get 5.1 via optical in games. The unmodded driver - be it from the ASRock site or the R2.73 - does show the DTS Interactive in the Advanced section. On selecting it, the Enhancements tab receives a DTS Connect option and the sample plays as DTS (lights up on my receiver). HOWEVER, Enhancements has to be active, (with or without DTS Connect, which lives in the Enhancements tab). THis seems to peeve off Windows Media Player and Windows Media Centyre. Well, these are the progs I need to use on my PC (HTPC). Win media player immediately throws an error. There was a problem playing this file (trying a simple MP3). When opening device properties, Windows complains that the enhancements cause problems.
If I disable all enhancements, then I cannot have DTS Interactive in the Advanced section anymore - it will no longer play the sample and Win Media Player throws a different error, re some codec missing.
So I am stumped, I forked out the cash - on two mobos (the Z77 with ALC898 and Z87 with ALC1150) and even on the Z87, although this time they did enable the option, Win Media Player and Win Media Centre refuse to play. I do not use any codec pack of any sort, Win 7 64 Ultimate. I suspect it is the 64 bit version that hates the enhancements ? BTW VLC does nto throw error but also no sound out put from the receiver. Grrr...

Could this be some simple codec setting for WIn medi apLayer / Win Media Centre? If I disable enhancements and select any other option in Advanced Default Format (not DTS), everythign immediately works - mind you no real time encoding and Im back to square one.

I tried the versions available here but I get the same - the problems lies elsewhere - in the Win Media Player / WMC hate of the enhancements. I get this even with the 2.71 release...

Many thanks for any ideas on how to leave enhancements enabled and convince WMP / WMC to WORK ... I evern bought an old Z5500 to use analog but sadly the Z5500 sounds worse than my not so new LG Surround System. Damn...

Last edited:

loanstar744

I have a different sort of problem. I have bought an ASRock Z87e-itx specifically for being advertised with DTS Interactive (and connect) - to get 5.1 via optical in games. The unmodded driver - be it from the ASRock site or the R2.73 - does show the DTS Interactive in the Advanced section. On selecting it, the Enhancements tab receives a DTS Connect option and the sample plays as DTS (lights up on my receiver). HOWEVER, Enhancements has to be active, (with or without DTS Connect, which lives in the Enhancements tab). THis seems to peeve off Windows Media Player and Windows Media Centyre. Well, these are the progs I need to use on my PC (HTPC). Win media player immediately throws an error. There was a problem playing this file (trying a simple MP3). When opening device properties, Windows complains that the enhancements cause problems.
If I disable all enhancements, then I cannot have DTS Interactive in the Advanced section anymore - it will no longer play the sample and Win Media Player throws a different error, re some codec missing.
So I am stumped, I forked out the cash - on two mobos (the Z77 with ALC898 and Z87 with ALC1150) and even on the Z87, although this time they did enable the option, Win Media Player and Win Media Centre refuse to play. I do not use any codec pack of any sort, Win 7 64 Ultimate. I suspect it is the 64 bit version that hates the enhancements ? BTW VLC does nto throw error but also no sound out put from the receiver. Grrr...

Could this be some simple codec setting for WIn medi apLayer / Win Media Centre? If I disable enhancements and select any other option in Advanced Default Format (not DTS), everythign immediately works - mind you no real time encoding and Im back to square one.

I tried the versions available here but I get the same - the problems lies elsewhere - in the Win Media Player / WMC hate of the enhancements. I get this even with the 2.71 release...

Many thanks for any ideas on how to leave enhancements enabled and convince WMP / WMC to WORK ... I evern bought an old Z5500 to use analog but sadly the Z5500 sounds worse than my not so new LG Surround System. Damn...

I was having that issue when I first installed these drivers, I think it's using part of the old installed drivers that were not deleted, at least that was my problem. Once I did a clean install of the drivers everything worked perfectly. You should try Driver Sweeper and use it to clean the Realtek drivers, I cleaned mine manually but Driver Sweeper does a really good job at cleaning Realtek, AMD and Nvidia drivers.

http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

Other than when the drivers were giving me issues I never had any problems with using enhancements in WMP/WMC and I've never seen WMP/WMC become corrupted so it's gotta be a driver issue. The Z5500 is a good system but the speakers are garbage besides the sub, me and my buddy swapped the electronics over to new speakers using the same Ohms load and it was a world of difference, used some semi cheap Zenith and KLH 3-way speakers I had laying around which I'm also using as my rear speakers on my current setup since they have a pretty decent freq range and impressive sound for their size.

Also, did you do a typical install with these drivers or did you do the dll swap? I had to do the dll swap, change settings then swap back again to get it working correctly on mine or it kept throwing the Enhancement error. Worth a try.

EDIT: Did you turn off the WMP/WMC Enhancements such as SRS and sometimes Dolby? Some Enhancements conflict, check it out by right clicking in the Now Playing window and click Enhancements.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
are you s

dts connect upmixes stereo sources. dolby digital live does not.

if your player is crashing, change player. try winamp and MPC-HC, both let you choose your audio output. if ANY kind of passthrough is enabled, only one program at a time can stream the audio - encoding can be similar. RESTART YOUR PLAYER after changing settings.

advarp

I was having that issue when I first installed these drivers, I think it's using part of the old installed drivers that were not deleted, at least that was my problem. Once I did a clean install of the drivers everything worked perfectly. You should try Driver Sweeper and use it to clean the Realtek drivers, I cleaned mine manually but Driver Sweeper does a really good job at cleaning Realtek, AMD and Nvidia drivers.

http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

Other than when the drivers were giving me issues I never had any problems with using enhancements in WMP/WMC and I've never seen WMP/WMC become corrupted so it's gotta be a driver issue. The Z5500 is a good system but the speakers are garbage besides the sub, me and my buddy swapped the electronics over to new speakers using the same Ohms load and it was a world of difference, used some semi cheap Zenith and KLH 3-way speakers I had laying around which I'm also using as my rear speakers on my current setup since they have a pretty decent freq range and impressive sound for their size.

Also, did you do a typical install with these drivers or did you do the dll swap? I had to do the dll swap, change settings then swap back again to get it working correctly on mine or it kept throwing the Enhancement error. Worth a try.

EDIT: Did you turn off the WMP/WMC Enhancements such as SRS and sometimes Dolby? Some Enhancements conflict, check it out by right clicking in the Now Playing window and click Enhancements.

Hi, thanks for answering - Ill start with the latest you proposed - I did disable the WMP enhancements but no joy. If I pause WMP I can trick it but no true DTS and then when if restart WMP - error - so no true solution. I MUST use WMP and WMC because I use this PC as a HTPC and I have set up WMC with movies library and everything works great... except the 5.1 in games.

I tried the dll swap. Change dsettings then changed the dll to original - the optin was still selected (although invisible in the original dll) but still 'ehancements causing problems' message. Microsoft says when you get this it means you must update your driver. Well I did try, many times! 2.73 and latest from ASROck site.

It seems I must try driver sweeper before anything else. Now - just to make this clear, even if I use Speakers (analog) as output, if I enable enhancements I still get windows complaining (!!!) - so either 1) as you said some old driver stuff (this is a new-ish WIn 7 64 install but anyway) or 2) the Realtek drivers on ASRock mobos cannot coexist with WMP / WMC with Enhancements enabled.

This is what i have boiled it down to... Re Z5500, I have some good speakers from the LG but they are 6 Ohms and I believe the Sats on Z5500 are 8 ohms. Yes I can get some decent 8 Ohms I guess. Using Optical out also has the prob that in WMC the WMC volume does nto work, you must use the Home Theatre one... small thing but VERY annoying. Ok Ill try driver sweeper... Thanks for that

EDIT: No go :-( when i uninstall Win will quickly install it back. If I cancel that I am left with the MS driver which has no DTS etc, Iif I swap the DLL still no joy. Bah. I feel like throwing this HTPC in the bin. ASRock sucks, their own drivers cannot accommodate DTS connect although I paid for that. I wonder why this is happening.... ie WMP hates the enhancements and VLC e.g. outputs no sound either... anyway will try again tomorrow, thanks for the idea

Last edited:

rak2410

Hi , I read through almost all the posts. I have been waiting exactly for this since i want to buy a HTS but i knew thru spdif it was not possible unless i had DDL enabled.
Anyway i have an ASUS Maximus VI Extreme with ALC 1150. Will this work on this chipset? As far as two persons with ALC 1150 are not able to get it working!
Please help me out with this since if it works then ill buy a HTS else i will have to buy the only available >300W PC 5.1 speakers which is Logitech Z906 but its too expensive!

Else if it is not posible thru ALC 1150 then i have a creative audigy SE card. Is there any mod that will allow to enable DDL on this card?

Thanks!
PS: And yes I registered after seeing this post! I guess this is one of the most useful posts! :)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Hi , I read through almost all the posts. I have been waiting exactly for this since i want to buy a HTS but i knew thru spdif it was not possible unless i had DDL enabled.
Anyway i have an ASUS Maximus VI Extreme with ALC 1150. Will this work on this chipset? As far as two persons with ALC 1150 are not able to get it working!
Please help me out with this since if it works then ill buy a HTS else i will have to buy the only available >300W PC 5.1 speakers which is Logitech Z906 but its too expensive!

Else if it is not posible thru ALC 1150 then i have a creative audigy SE card. Is there any mod that will allow to enable DDL on this card?

Thanks!
PS: And yes I registered after seeing this post! I guess this is one of the most useful posts! :)

noones really having any luck on the ALC chipsets. personally, stay with analogue or HDMI with home theater - DD/DTS do work for surround sound, but they ARE compressed and lose some quality (analogue gives me far better bass for example, stereo music has no subwoofer channel so it gets ignored in my setup and i just end up with two tinny speakers)

rak2410

noones really having any luck on the ALC chipsets. personally, stay with analogue or HDMI with home theater - DD/DTS do work for surround sound, but they ARE compressed and lose some quality (analogue gives me far better bass for example, stereo music has no subwoofer channel so it gets ignored in my setup and i just end up with two tinny speakers)

Ah true. But If i have to use it with HDMI, the reciever will need a HDMI input as well as output right ? and i m guessing that model will be way more expensive?

advarp

Ah true. But If i have to use it with HDMI, the reciever will need a HDMI input as well as output right ? and i m guessing that model will be way more expensive?

Yeh.. in my situation I have a trusty LG System that sounds good (repaired it three times in 6 years but cheap to do so) with only Optical, no HDMI. I would go analog but I did a test and the LG sounds better vs a Z5500 used set I bought - as said above it has crappy satellites and cannot use the LGs as they are 6 Ohm (? will investigate further but dun want to blow the Z5500 amp). Another option - that will cost me $100 - is an external sound card (I have no more expansion slots in my mini enclosure, only one taken by the tuner card) that is 'guaranteed' to do DDL (it is from Creative). That is rubbish because I chose the ALC1150 due to better quality etc. Best options IMO are 1) Good analog system but not many have anaolg 5.1 anymore - 2nd hand receiver?? but still they are old large and eat up power and 2) HDMI receiver -> $$$ and you also need speakers etc.

<digress> BTW - I have a netbook I paid $300 for with HDMI out (the last ASUS b4 they swithced to tablets). It outputs HDMI no probs and can do what is reqd of a HTPC (HTNetbook lol). Then there is a HDMI - optical audio extractor you can get for $30-$90 and that can feed into the older receiver setup. I do NOT know if that will allow you DDL / DTS Interactive - prolly not - BUT for a lot cheaper you got yourself a HT system - the tuner and the HDD with all media are external of course. If I knew this before I would have never forked out almost $1,000 to build the HTPC.... The HTPC is not a powerhouse for demanding games anyway... </digress>

loanstar744

Hi, thanks for answering - Ill start with the latest you proposed - I did disable the WMP enhancements but no joy. If I pause WMP I can trick it but no true DTS and then when if restart WMP - error - so no true solution. I MUST use WMP and WMC because I use this PC as a HTPC and I have set up WMC with movies library and everything works great... except the 5.1 in games.

I tried the dll swap. Change dsettings then changed the dll to original - the optin was still selected (although invisible in the original dll) but still 'ehancements causing problems' message. Microsoft says when you get this it means you must update your driver. Well I did try, many times! 2.73 and latest from ASROck site.

It seems I must try driver sweeper before anything else. Now - just to make this clear, even if I use Speakers (analog) as output, if I enable enhancements I still get windows complaining (!!!) - so either 1) as you said some old driver stuff (this is a new-ish WIn 7 64 install but anyway) or 2) the Realtek drivers on ASRock mobos cannot coexist with WMP / WMC with Enhancements enabled.

This is what i have boiled it down to... Re Z5500, I have some good speakers from the LG but they are 6 Ohms and I believe the Sats on Z5500 are 8 ohms. Yes I can get some decent 8 Ohms I guess. Using Optical out also has the prob that in WMC the WMC volume does nto work, you must use the Home Theatre one... small thing but VERY annoying. Ok Ill try driver sweeper... Thanks for that

EDIT: No go :-( when i uninstall Win will quickly install it back. If I cancel that I am left with the MS driver which has no DTS etc, Iif I swap the DLL still no joy. Bah. I feel like throwing this HTPC in the bin. ASRock sucks, their own drivers cannot accommodate DTS connect although I paid for that. I wonder why this is happening.... ie WMP hates the enhancements and VLC e.g. outputs no sound either... anyway will try again tomorrow, thanks for the idea

The MS driver will default upon restart, that's no issue, it's the same as the VGA default driver it uses when there are no drivers installed, just install the new drivers or the ones from this thread. The Microsoft drivers cannot be deleted and they cannot cause problems with the actual drivers for your built in sound because they disable themselves when another driver takes it's place. Also, you should disable all internet to your device when restarting your PC so that it DOES NOT download the right drivers, it'll default to the MS ones which like I said can be overwritten without any issues. Actually most Yamaha's even brand new ones still have 6CH Analog Input, it's one of the reasons I'll always stick with Yamaha, that and usually Yammy's have 100W or more per channel, the A speaker set on my Yammy supports 135W per channel then the B set is 100W and the rest of the surround channels are 100W as well, although you can't enable both front speaker sets at the same time which is no problem for me since I use my Vega's with Polk subs on the A speaker channel only which are obviously full range. Man, I haven't used an ASRock Mobo since 2004/05 when mine fried itself and destroyed everything inside the PC case with it. :/ Completely fried everything except for the XFX GeForce 8800GTS, that card was a beast. Yes, if I remember correctly the satellites on that Z5500 are all 8Ohm and so were the KLH and Zenith speakers we replaced them with, he still uses that thing to this day and surprisingly hasn't blown anything on it, I even have the spare sub/control deck in case his ever goes on him and besides as long as the speakers you put on that system aren't LOWER in Ohms than the ones that were on there originally you have nothing to fear, just make sure the replacement speakers aren't like 16Ohms or higher or you'll get hardly any sound out of the speakers, you should just hookup an Ohms tester to the leads of one of the speakers to be completely sure what the Ohms are since I honestly don't remember but the average is either 4, 6 or 8Ohms which is probably why we put 8Ohm speakers in their place.

I've never had that issue before except when I was getting driver conflicting issues which caused it to trip the Enhancements error which is why I was saying to do a complete driver reinstall and disable the internet so it doesn't download new drivers.

Also, more than likely on that netbook you're talking about it only does stereo through HDMI, a lot of GPU's only do stereo through HDMI unless it specifically states otherwise or has an audio transfer cable that hooks up to the Mobo sound card or a PCI audio card that also supports the audio transfer cable for true 5.1 through HDMI. AMD/ATI has always been good about 5.1/7.2 through HDMI but most Nvidia's require the audio transfer cable from the SPDIF port on the mobo or sound card.

P.S.: HDMI units don't actually cost very much nowadays, Yamaha's with 5.1 HDMI support go for about $200-$500, $500 being top of the line with like eight HDMI connections, etc. My Yamaha does HDMI but ONLY for video, it was the ONLY Yamaha to not do audio through HDMI but I also bought it from a friend for $60 so I'm not concerned when I have Optical and 6CH Analog.

/END WALL OF TEXT

Last edited:

Hatbuster

Signed up to say THANK YOU, 2bad.

I was previously using an old X-Fi Xtreme Gamer to power my system via DTS 5.1. But as we all know, Creative makes terribly buggy drivers.
This mod allows me to to use one device less to achieve what I want, since I can still have a secondary audio stream from the front.

I used the package upped by Delphium, thanks to you, too, mate.

A few notes of my experience with it:
I had to restart after running the "start" batch file, which was a little confusing since it was not indicated in the readme.
Additionally, I had to run the "stop" file before I could get any audio output. Not sure why, but yeah.
Also, it was a bit confusing with the ASUS interface being a bit different from the Gigabyte one. Maybe add more screenshots to make this 100% clear?

EDIT: If anyone finds a way to override the speaker count that windows tells our games, please do share. This is driving me insane.

Last edited:

rak2410

Ok so I found a usb sound card which is ASUS Xonar U3. It has DDL plus all the other dolby stuff. Its 3k INR.
Anyway now for the HTS model, i found a sony one which has only analogue Audio input.
So is it possible to convert optical to analogue without losing the DDL encoding?