• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

Starhowl

Neither method barely seems to be working for me. I got as far as to be able to select DDL or DTS in my Panel; but still I wasn't able to play some sound due to the PUMA issue. The sys-method never worked for me, at all.

A version of this for original Realtek drivers R2.73 would be much appreciated as I don't know where to get original R2.71 anymore. Found some on softpedia, but for EVGA - caused problems on my system.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Ok so I found a usb sound card which is ASUS Xonar U3. It has DDL plus all the other dolby stuff. Its 3k INR.
Anyway now for the HTS model, i found a sony one which has only analogue Audio input.
So is it possible to convert optical to analogue without losing the DDL encoding?

No because Dolby Digital Live encoding is for optical out, digital coaxial out and HDMI out.

EDIT: If anyone finds a way to override the speaker count that windows tells our games, please do share. This is driving me insane

I want to know the answer to this too.

Starhowl

Hi, try the links in this post for a download of 2.71 which worked for me.
It worked everything except for the part that the Realtek Panel isn't starting up anymore; before I uninstalled the driver and used a registry cleaner plus driver cleaner.

loanstar744

It worked everything except for the part that the Realtek Panel isn't starting up anymore; before I uninstalled the driver and used a registry cleaner plus driver cleaner.
I had that issue too, so I did the DLL swap to enable the options and while it worked the DTS and DDL 5.1 still sounds like stereo surround, not true surround. I'd still like to hear other peoples inputs on that.

BossMafioso

If anyone finds a way to override the speaker count that windows tells our games, please do share. This is driving me insane.

I have a some solution.
First you need to install Virtual Audio Cable and set up like this

most important is in Format Range to set the NC to 6 because this is number of channels and BPS to 16 bit(more are not working to me).
Now select from Windows audio devices Line 1 as a default output device

Then you have to download GraphEdit.
Press CTRL+F and go to WDM Streaming Rendering Devices and double click on Virtual Cable 1, then from Audio Renderers select Realtek Digital Output, not DirectSound: Realtek Digital Output because this have much more latency. Close the filters searching window and connect the both boxes like that

And press play icon.
It's all. If you do everything well the latency will be very small I think it is the normal latency generated from Realtek.

Sorry for my english :D

Hatbuster

I tried a similar approach a bit ago, does this actually work?
As in, do games really default to 6 channel audio?

And does winamp etc crash when you try to run it like this?

EDIT: Tested it.
This DOES work for games. Good job on finding this, I failed to do so some time ago.
This does require some setting up every time though, so I only advise to set this up if you really want surround sound.

For when you do not play, do not use this.
This does break all common audio players.

Is there any way to redirect the audio coming from my speaker output to the optical output? This would circumvent audio player breaking and we wouldn't need VAC anymore.

Last edited:

BossMafioso

For me this work fine for example Assassins Creed IV deteck only 2 channels by default but after that its native 5.1 sound, but in Battlefield 4 this is not working, just there is no sound, I don't know why, all other games are working, but that's not a problem, because Frostbite detect 5.1 by default. Also apps like Media Player Classic are not working, when youtube and all other players in flash is working.

Sorry for english.

EDIT:I was try with the speaker output at the beginning, but i can't get this to work, so then i try with VAC.

Last edited:

bsletu

How to install driver mod without disable driver enforce ? I'm using windows 8.1 . Thanks

Starhowl

What I don't like about DDL in the sound card market is, that most soundcards seem to chronically put out a DD 5.1 signal to the receiver, even if the source is mono and not Dolby encoded at all. They simply generate a Dolby Surround encoded signal from LPCM; that way you never know if there's a real surround signal coming to your receiver.

loanstar744

What I don't like about DDL in the sound card market is, that most soundcards seem to chronically put out a DD 5.1 signal to the receiver, even if the source is mono and not Dolby encoded at all. They simply generate a Dolby Surround encoded signal from LPCM; that way you never know if there's a real surround signal coming to your receiver.
DTS does the same thing which is generally used more than DDL because it supports most games and movies, DDL usually only supports a handful of games but a large selection of movies. When I used DTS or DDL all games and movies were outputted in stereo and mixed with virtual surround upon output to my Yamaha receiver and I never got true surround, just simulated Stereo Surround which my Pioneer from over 20 years ago can still do with it's hands tied behind it's back and blind folded without breaking a sweat using Dolby Stereo Surround. It's basically like having Speaker Fill on with a true 5.1 setup like analog through MULTI CHANNEL on my Yamaha.

I'd really like to find a way to do true surround through Optical, just to make things easier without having to buy a $100-$200 sound card to further complicate things, though I suppose since my Radeon 6870 supports 7.1 through HDMI with it's on board sound card I could just get a newer HDMI Yamaha receiver and benefit from uncompressed 7.1 true surround but that's still out of my budget right now.

shadowroamer

Thanks to 2bad for working this out, and to Delphium for the bat files and original driver package. I got this to work on ALC1150 (MSI Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard), it's now feeding DDL to my Turtle Beach headset receiver (it has a light for DDL) and I've just confirmed it keeps working after reboot, with no action required.

I did have to alter the bat's slightly, cause the HD Audio Manager executable has a different name on my system (RtkNGUI64.exe). For anyone trying the alternative method with Delph's bat files, please check the start bat does not return any errors.

Once again, many thanks to 2bad and Delphium.

izajasz

Heey, Could You please upload R2.73 modded driver ? Anyone got this to work with games through optical on ALC898 (Rampage IV extreme)?

Update: The R2.72 works well with 2.72 DLL but older drivers have some issues with DPC latency especially when im OC'ed . Is it possible if You could make a .dll for latest R2.73 ? :)

Last edited:
Thanks to 2bad for working this out, and to Delphium for the bat files and original driver package. I got this to work on ALC1150 (MSI Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard), it's now feeding DDL to my Turtle Beach headset receiver (it has a light for DDL) and I've just confirmed it keeps working after reboot, with no action required.

I did have to alter the bat's slightly, cause the HD Audio Manager executable has a different name on my system (RtkNGUI64.exe). For anyone trying the alternative method with Delph's bat files, please check the start bat does not return any errors.

Once again, many thanks to 2bad and Delphium.

Credit goes to ils for the orignal .bat commands, I just packaged up everything together needed to make this work into, well, a single and hopefully easy to use package, and of cause host some long term mirrors of the package for others if they find it useful :)

This has worked really well for my board, thanks again 2bad ;)

BossMafioso

When it comes about the ils bat file I modified the commands a little. All DTS, DDL options are unlocked and the encoding are working at this same time. But its still working only to shutdown.

Code:
ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll RtkAPO64.dll.org
ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll.mod RtkAPO64.dll
taskkill /f /im RAVCpl64.exe
CD /D "C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA"
start RAVCpl64.exe -s
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2
ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll RtkAPO64.dll.mod
ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll.org RtkAPO64.dll

Amazo

Hi,

I followed all suggestions in all 7 pages, DDL and DTS options became available, but when I choose any of them, there is no sound when I play a game or a mp3 player.

Z87 motherboard with ALC892, Windows 8.1 x64.

My HT is a Sony SS380.

I also tried to use hdmi out from my GTX660 to the hdmi in of the HT, no 5.1 in games either.

loanstar744

Hi,

I followed all suggestions in all 7 pages, DDL and DTS options became available, but when I choose any of them, there is no sound when I play a game or a mp3 player.

Z87 motherboard with ALC892, Windows 8.1 x64.

My HT is a Sony SS380.

I also tried to use hdmi out from my GTX660 to the hdmi in of the HT, no 5.1 in games either.
Does your Sony come up saying it's decoding Dolby Digital or DTS? Also, you can only choose one or the other, either DDL or DTS since it'll be running 24/7. I'm not sure if the GTX660 support 5.1 over HDMI without being patched into the on board sound which would be the same thing as using Optical or Coaxial from your mobo. I have the same Audio Codec built into my M5A88V-EVO and DTS and DDL both sounded like it was in simulated stereo surround anyways so it might just be it's not supported right on our mobo's or this particular audio codec. I know most AMD cards support up to 7.1 through HDMI no problem using it's own built in sound card but Nvidia has usually made it to where you have to patch your card into your sound card or on board sound.

Amazo

Does your Sony come up saying it's decoding Dolby Digital or DTS? Also, you can only choose one or the other, either DDL or DTS since it'll be running 24/7. I'm not sure if the GTX660 support 5.1 over HDMI without being patched into the on board sound which would be the same thing as using Optical or Coaxial from your mobo. I have the same Audio Codec built into my M5A88V-EVO and DTS and DDL both sounded like it was in simulated stereo surround anyways so it might just be it's not supported right on our mobo's or this particular audio codec. I know most AMD cards support up to 7.1 through HDMI no problem using it's own built in sound card but Nvidia has usually made it to where you have to patch your card into your sound card or on board sound.

Sony comes up saying it is decoding DD and DTS in movies.

In games and mp3, it shows nothing or 2 channels LPCM.

loanstar744

Sony comes up saying it is decoding DD and DTS in movies.

In games and mp3, it shows nothing or 2 channels LPCM.

That means it didn't work. It should be using DDL OR DTS at all times if it's working correctly depending on which one you selected, I personally selected DTS since it's more widely used.

granadacoder

Thanks for this post. I have a Asrock Z68 motherboard.

I use the .bat file method.

One thing I did was launch a cmd-window (in Administrator mode) so I could see the results of the .bat calls, in case anything went bad.

I was able to get Dolby Digital Live to work with my Sony STR-DG500.

Note that I had to Right Click the "Realtek Digital Output" (and click Properties) and go to the "Supported Formats" tab (where the tabs are General, Supported Formats, Levels, Enhancements, Advanced).
On the "Supported Formats" tab, I did tests for "Encoded formats" and "Sample Rates". What worked for ~~my~~ sony receiver was "Dolby Digital" and "48.0 kHz" and "96.0 kHz". Your mileage may vary.

My steps were to install the drivers, run the first .bat file (the "start" one), make the changes to enable "Dolby Digital Live" in the realtek program, close the realtek program, run the second .bat file (the "stop" one), and then run the tests from "Supported Formats" tab.

What I was missing is that you cannot run the tests from the real-tek program, because when you put back the original .DLL, those options are disabled. So by using the "Supported Formats" tab, I was able to do some basic testing.

Also note that when I got sound to work from the "supported formats" tab, only my front-left, center, and front-right speaker worked ~~during~~ the test. However, once I got sound from those 3 speakers, I tested using some of the 5.1 files from this site:
http://www.diatonis.com/surround_sound_music.html

So I get the flow now. Use the mod dll to make changes to settings, put the original back so it runs, and the original won't through the non-signed (puma) error. If I make changes in the future, I'll temporarily put back the modded dll, make the changes, put back the original dll.

DigitalOutputProperties.PNG

THANKS to the OP and everyone where who posted hints and tips.

SpunkyWhiteDog

Hi, everyone... I have a ASRock Z77 Pro4-M motherboard. I used the Delphium's method, but with no luck. Actually, I got stuck in a problem... When I try to run the first .bat, my Realtek Audio Manager don't restart, so I can't select DTS or DDL. My OS is Win 7 Ultimate x64. PS: This work with games? Because if you tried to play a game, you'd be limited to 2.0 audio, as you have no way to convert the 5.1 uncompressed audio signals that PC's typically use to either Dolby or DTS formats. You need a soundcard with realtime encoding support (Dolby Digital Live or DTS-Connect/DTS Neo:pC) to handle the encoding process.

granadacoder

Hi, everyone... I have a ASRock Z77 Pro4-M motherboard. I used the Delphium's method, but with no luck. Actually, I got stuck in a problem... When I try to run the first .bat, my Realtek Audio Manager don't restart, so I can't select DTS or DDL. My OS is Win 7 Ultimate x64. PS: This work with games? Because if you tried to play a game, you'd be limited to 2.0 audio, as you have no way to convert the 5.1 uncompressed audio signals that PC's typically use to either Dolby or DTS formats. You need a soundcard with realtime encoding support (Dolby Digital Live or DTS-Connect/DTS Neo:pC) to handle the encoding process.

As per my previous hint, run a cmd window IN ADMINISTRATOR MODE, and then you can see the results of the .bat file.
See the screen shot attached. Then use the "cd" command to go to the directory where the .bat file is, and then type in the .bat file name to run it (and see results in the command-window).
command_prompt_admin.png

Make sure all paths in the .bat file point to an existing directory. (Open the .bat file in notepad to view).

SpunkyWhiteDog

As per my previous hint, run a cmd window IN ADMINISTRATOR MODE, and then you can see the results of the .bat file.
See the screen shot attached. Then use the "cd" command to go to the directory where the .bat file is, and then type in the .bat file name to run it (and see results in the command-window).View attachment 54139

Make sure all paths in the .bat file point to an existing directory. (Open the .bat file in notepad to view).
I think I got it. Look this... It's like yours?