• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

I am running the same OS/Driver version as timdim (Realtek HD Audio Driver 6.0.1.7818 [R2.79], Windows 10 build 14393), where can I find the modified 2.75 version of RltkAPO64.dll?

You might be able to use Pihto's patch on the R2.79. He linked to it in the following post (I noticed that Google Chrome detects it as malicious, but it could just be a false positive):

Hi friends!
Try to apply this patch to newest drivers. I made patch a long time ago, but it must to work properly till now.

I'm currently running unpatched Realtek HD Audio (ALC887) R2.79 drivers on Windows 10 64-bit, using optical out, and while regular Dolby Digital works, regular DTS does not. (I get no sound when testing DTS Audio in the Realtek Digital Output properties -> Supported Formats tab.) Is this still a bug as of Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, my laptop is a Samsung R530, integrated sound card is a Realtek ALC269. There is no bass. The sound is completely devoid of it. I set up the equalizer but rather weak bass and a rumbling. I checked all the settings, reinstalled drivers, the system shows that all are up to date. The headphones are very good. Realtek High Definition Audio version 6.0.1.7541. What version of the best? What can I do to improve the sound of the highest quality? Screenshoot Realtek High Definition Audio ALC269 7541

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Disabling fast boot helped with my issue, were i was stuck with FL+FR+ Center, now i have FL+FR+RL+RR but not center lol.

Windows 10 don't always restart when a system has fast boot active, which can be check tough task manager uptime.

Jorge1234

Hi, i got latest drivers patched and working with Windows 8.1 x64, but I can't get rid of the "audio enhancements are causing problems, do you want to turn them off" message, even when everything is working fine...

Is there a way to fix that problem? I tryed a few versions of the drivers, but nothing.

Thanks.

Jorge1234

Hi, i got latest drivers patched and working with Windows 8.1 x64, but I can't get rid of the "audio enhancements are causing problems, do you want to turn them off" message, even when everything is working fine...

Is there a way to fix that problem? I tryed a few versions of the drivers, but nothing.

Thanks.

Adding more info, version 7933 works fine but I keep getting the "audio enhancements..." mesagger. In versions 7945 and 7950 the Realtek control panel both via Realtek or Windows audio panel stop working (no EQ, no Dolby, nothing) once I patch the driver.

Anyone managed to make 7950 work with patched driver?

Peter1979

Hi all,

Been reading here for quite some time now, and have tried various solutions, but can't get it to work (probably my own fault).

I have an ASrock A88M-G/3.1 with Realtek alc1150 on it
windows 8.1 pro media center

The only thing i do with the pc is watch movies. I only want the pc to send the audio signal thru the S/Pdiff so that my receiver can decode the signal as dts/dd/etc.. (i have 5.1 setup).

Can anybody tell me what i have to do to get i working?

Many thanks in advance!!

Capta Praelium

Count me as user number 98756878568476874686469767 who signed up to say thank you!!!

Thank you 2bad and pihto!!

I have an EVGA X99 Micro2, with an ALC1150.
I used the drivers which came from the EVGA website, the same drivers I normally would use (they are R2.79)
I extracted the driver setup using 7zip to a temporary directory.
I used Pihto's patching tool, from this thread (page 47), and patched the two DLLs in the installer.
I ran setup.exe and installed as per normal.
Works like a charm! Getting full 5.1 surround sound in Dolby Digital from Battlefield through a Turtle Beach X55 and a Sony receiver.
This computer, this headset, this game, never sounded so good.

If ever you're in Australia, drinks are on me!

Reading a 62 page thread was totally worth it.

*sigh*

Can anyone give some step-by-step instructions for how to make this work? I have a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 motherboard which has some Sound Blaster hardware that includes Realtek ALC1150 codecs, which according to Realtek's website have "optional" support for DTS/Dolby Digital Live... but Gigabyte apparently decided not to give ME that option.

Also, I'm running Windows 10 x64... because of course I am.

I've been searching and searching and searching for a solution, but it seems like this is the last place I could possibly find an answer, and the thread is 62 pages long. >_<

Capta Praelium

Kevin did you read my post above? That is literally the step-by-step I followed (after reading all 62 pages :O )

Before trying hacked drivers... You mention yours is a sound blaster.... I think creative actually just sell the upgrade for $5 as an app on their website. Although, I went to try and find you the link and it seems unavailable:
http://software.store.creative.com/p/software/dolby-digital-live-and-dts-connect-pack

If I were you, before hacking things, I'd call gigabyte and creative and ask them. Failing that, try using the patcher on your drivers.

Step-by-step (I hope I didnt miss any)

Uninstall any existing sound card drivers. I shouldn't need to tell you how to do this. If I do, this whole procedure is NOT for you. My advice to amateurs is spend the $30 bucks and get a new soundcard.

Get the legit drivers from wherever you usually get your driver from.
This link is from the download page for your mobo: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_audio_realtek_100series.zip. You probably already have this.

Unzip it, and if it has another file in there (eg mine has Realtek-0006-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R279.exe), unzip that too. Unzip away, until you have the installer fully extracted - you will see a file named setup.exe and a bunch of *.ini files if you get this right.

Get pihto's patcher from page 47. Put it in the same folder as setup.exe.
Run the patcher and when you click the 'patch' button, it will open a file browser. Browse through your setup to find each of the two DLLs rltkAPO64.DLL and rltkAPO.DLL. They are probably in a folder named 'Vista64'.

Run setup.exe and install as per normal. That means reboot when it says.

Enjoy your surround sound.

I take absolutely no responsibility for any results of you doing this. I'm just trying to help you out by telling you how it worked for me. It's the least I could do in return for 2bad and pihto's excellent work here.

I just want to take this opportunity to say that this is all super stupid. I'd happily pay a few bucks for a legit dolby license, if only I could.... And let's face it, it's not like motherboard manufacturers couldn't afford it. The printing on the box costs more than the license. Just give me a brown cardboard box with a dolby enabled soundcard in it, thankyou ;)

Hello,

Thanks @Capta Praelium for your last replies here. I followed your steps and i do have the Dolby options now. I have the Digital Output and the normal Speakers. After installing this with the patch, only the normal speaker works, if i pick up the Digital one there's no sound at all. Do i need to switch the 3.5mm jack in order to listen through the Digital output?

I'm guessing we need to use the Digital Output in order to get Dolby as that is the one who only have the options "Dolby Digital Live & DTS Interactive" in the advanced tab.

Capta Praelium

Correct, dolby only works over digital connections.

Try this:

You know the little speaker icon in your systray (next to the clock in the bottom right corner of the screen)
Right click that.
Click 'Playback devices'
Scroll through the list until you see your card. Mine is labelled "Realtek Digital Output(Optical)"
Double click it to open the properties.
Click the tab labelled "Supported Formats"

In the top box labelled "Encoded formats", you should see "DTS Audio" and "Dolby Digital"
If you click one of these entries, then click the button to the right labelled "Test", windows will send a test stream. You should hear it on your receiveer/headset/whatever.
When the test sound finishes playing, you will see a dialog box asking if you heard the sound. If you say yes, it will tick the box for you, because it works. Do this for whichever digital formats your receiver likes.

In the bottom box labelled "Sample Rates", Do the above procedure for each of them. This way, windows will help you to figure out what's supported by your hardware (sound card and receiver)

You should end up with at least the 48.0KHz ticked, and one of the dolby options. If you didn't get that far, your hardware does not support dolby digital or DTS, sorry. These should work even without hacked drivers.

In the tab labelled "dolby" there will be a box labelled "Dolby Home Theater". That's for 'fake' surround. I leave that un-ticked.

The important bit:
In the tab labelled "Advanced", there is a box labelled, "Default Format". Inside that box, you should see a drop-down listbox.
Probably at the bottom of the list, you will see two options, labelled "Dolby Digital Live (5.1 Surround)", and "DTS Interactive (5.1 Surround)". Choose the one that suits you best. DTS is best quality, if your receiver supports it, choose that. My headset only supports Dolby, so I select that.
Click the "Test" button to make sure it's working.
Click 'OK' down the bottom, to save your changes.

You may always want to use this output, in which case, right-click on the output in your 'Playback devices' and select "Set as Default Device" and/or "Set as Default Communications Device"

@Capta Praelium
You can no longer buy the DD/DTS suite from Creative's site. The page for it just says that it's no longer available on their site and doesn't tell you anything else. They may as well have just replaced it with a big middle finger image.

As for the patcher thing... I'm either doing it wrong, or it just doesn't work. I did it as you said and all it did was remove my digital outputs entirely. Can't even select them anymore, let alone use them. All that's left is Speakers, which is for my headset.

Capta Praelium

Yeh I did mention that the creative software was unavailable, that's why I recommended you call them first.

Sorry mate, I'm not sure what's wrong. Follow the same instructions, but skip the step with the patcher, it should return to normal.

@Capta Praelium

Thanks once again for your insctructions. I've follow them but no luck, no matter what format i test there's no sound coming out of the speakers. Guess it's not supported on my end.

Capta Praelium

:(
Do you get a sound when you test the different sample rates?

If not, that indicates that there is a connection issue to your receiver. (Check your cable is plugged in). That should just be playing a normal 'wav file' to your digital output.
If you do, but testing the encoded formats fails, that suggests that your receiver doesn't support dolby/dts.

Sorry guys, it's really hard to do troubleshooting on stuff like this, over a forum... I can only guess...

@Capta Praelium no problem and i totally understand!

I do not get any sound from the different sample rates. Same for the advanced tab test. Nothing at all.

By receiver you talking about some particular hardware? Because i only have the speakers and connect them to the motherboard. In my case it has Realtek ALC892

Capta Praelium

Ahh, well dolby doesn't work like that.

The digital output of your PC is normally used to carry audio in binary format, over fibre optic cable, to another device, like a headset base unit, or a hifi receiver.
This would normally only be 2 channels (aka stereo - left, and right)

Dolby and DTS, use some 'magic' to send 5.1 channels over the same cable, and then your receiver decodes the 'magic' and sends the sound to your 5.1 speakers, which are connected to the receiver.

Your receiver would be one of these: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dolby+receiver

If you have a surround-sound 5.1 channel speaker system that can plug directly into the 6 sockets on your motherboard, you do not need dolby. You already have surround sound :)
If you have a 2-speaker system that plugs into 2 sockets, you can't have surround sound. If you play something with surround sound (a game, movie, etc) then windows will take care of it and mix the 5.1 channels into 2.

HTH.

mervs

@Capta Praelium
Thanks for the guide sir! Got it working with my Z906 via optical cable :)

Does anyone have problem with Dolby Digital lost signal? That happens a lot to me when gaming. When the game changes map there is no audio signal, then I enter the game my receiver still shows no signal. Sometime my receiver will freeze and shuts off. It doesn't happen with dts. My receiver is Logitech Z5500 which supports both DDL and DTS. My motherboard supports Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec. I just replaced my optical cable recently.