• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unmarking Bad Sectors

Processor i5-2500k @ 4.0
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68 V-LE
Cooling Stock Heatsink + 7 Case Fans
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 660
Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
Display(s) Optiquest by Viewsonic Q7B-3 Black 17" 8ms Since 2005 (Long Live 5:4)!
Case Xclio Nighthawk Color with additional xclio Color fans
Power Supply Seasonic X 650W Gold
Mouse MX518
Keyboard Logitech Media Keyboard Elite
Software Win 7 Pro 64bit
So the other day I ran scandisk on my 300gb external Buffalo(Maxtor) hard drive. I had just finished burning a bunch of DVDs from it. I had about 40gb of free space. After running it with the options to automatically fix errors and attempt recovery of bad sectors, I suddenly found my HD full the next day when trying to copy files into it. Did a chkdsk and found that ALL 40 of those gigs became marked as bad sectors and were no longer accessible. I'm quite sure the HD is fine as I still continue to use it and the sectors have not increased in the past few days. I think it was an error on scandisk's part.

So now I'm wondering how to unmark or remove those bad sectors to make them available again without having to reformat. So far I'm using HDD regenerator 1.51 as I've heard it can recover them but it is extremely slow. It's able to scan about 1 gb every 1.5 hours. Scanning the whole thing would take almost 3 weeks. Of course I'll use it as an option but is there a faster way? Or at least a way to find the sectors since the program can start wherever u specify. That way I won't have to scan over clean sectors. So far I've only gone through 10 gb in the past 2 days and it has found nothing yet.

If my drive is indeed on route toward total failure I might just buy a new external and put this one away after transferring files, but I'm thinking that isn't the case.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
40 gb of bad sectors has a cause other than actual bad sectors.

is scandisk even supposed to work on external drives?

can you put the disk into your pc and check if it shows the errors there too ?

if yes, RMA