• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unreal Engine 4 is probably confirmed for WiiU for launch

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Links 1 and 3 actually say it is running on the Wii U, and that Epic Games has been working with Nintendo on various tech demos.

Unreal Engine 4 running on consoles Epic 'can't name yet'
Gears of War maker's new engine set for 'shocking' reveal later this year

Unreal Engine 4 is up and running on next-gen systems, according to Epic vice president Mark Rein.

Speaking at the DICE summit (via LoudMouthedGamers), the executive said the new engine is now running on "systems we can't name yet".

Rein also told G4TV that Unreal Engine 4 will be revealed later this year.

"People are going to be shocked later this year when they see Unreal Engine 4 and how much more profound an effect it will have," he said.

VAMS Error: Video not found

According to rumours in the latest issue of Xbox World magazine, Microsoft's next Xbox is set to include a Wii U-like touchscreen controller.

The mag claims Microsoft is experimenting with a tablet-like controller with a shape closer to Sony's PS Vita than Wii U's "bulky unit".

It goes on to describe the Xbox 720 pad as "an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks."

I don't see anything here.

Epic Games vice president Mark Rein has told journalists and developers at this years DICE summit that the company’s next generation Unreal Engine is currently running on “systems we can’t name yet”. We already know that Epic were behind the Japanese garden Wii U demo, so it wouldn’t be surprising if the engine is up and running on Wii U.

so it wouldn’t be surprising if the engine is up and running on Wii U.
This does not amount to confirmation.

You said the CPU wouldn't be an issue which is hardly true. I agree the RAM is a bottleneck, but that is mostly because they use shared memory, and are pushing 7 years old. When you scale the resolution up the textures take up more space. Anything above like 1GB wouldn't be an issue on 1080P, if the new consoles had 2GB of shared memory, they would be set for a couple years easily. I don't anticipate TV's moving past 1920x1080 any time soon, so this generation will need buttloads of RAM to not encounter the same issues.

All about the memory - Rage cannot be any better on X360 because of memory issues.

WiiU will lag behind without at least 1.5 GB, it will be the downside and games will have to be watered down again. It's just about memory, they don't NEED to make a super powerful system, just the RAM needs to be increased and it will make so much difference in long-term. ALL that hardware is useless without enough RAM , i am looking years donw the line, 1 GB won't be enough, new PS and Xbox will have more than 1 GB.

Last edited:
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Indeed, saw em. Forgot to post em here.

But texture wise ... I think they can do better.

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
hmm, unimpressed with those shots '__'

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
hmm, unimpressed with those shots '__'

Yeah I was thinking about it ... but somehow didn't want to express it that much. Texture resolution isn't anything special, but i guess this is somethign that can be added later by just maxing out the art and using much less compression.

You have pretty smart individuals on neogaf, but you also have many people like this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37994654&postcount=13931

May people have no idea how engines work and what engines are, it's not like your mother's washing machine, or your dad's new lawnmower. The WiiU version of the engine most certainly won't have all of the effects possible, stuff turned down, disabled, other things watered down, the textures won't be limited since it's a dumb and worthless idea, either you have a open world game with a lot of space and mediocre textures, but in the same time you can go with a corridor shooter with super duper omfg textures. The engine it self does not require any graphics at all. Those people are pretty inexperienced with technial stuff so you can ignore their opinions. Demo of an engine is ... Demo ofcourse, it has all the GFX on top, it's not a terminal console outputting engine status and waiting for command.

Im not sure where the guy got that shot but here it is:

Still, i don't really care about all the debirs particles and all the crazy glow, DOF, motion blur, movie-style effects on there, i care about textures and if they can't do better in an dedicated tech demo then well ... it doesn't look as good and definitely doesn't make me move.
I just disable those glows and motion blurs ... it's pretty usless without eye-tracking, cause your eyes need to be on the center of the ingame-players view, but you know that is never like that, you look around the 2D screen without moving your mouse to adjust the ingameplayer, so what you look at is the blurred area you would never see in real life with your eyes, you wouldn't be able to effectively play the game if you'd always looked in the center of the recticle where the DOF center point is fixed.

I might have not been accurate with the thread title "for launch" ... that's still open question, i forgot where the hint came from for that but I don't think it's for sure, fifty fifty :p

EDIT: It appears that this pic wasn't included on the article i visited reported about these pics.

Last edited:
What bothers me as well is the fact that UT99 could have far more detailed textures than pretty much all games later. Especially the ones from S3TC textures disc 2. ALmost whatever game you look at these days, half of the objects are total blurry mess and only looks good at distance where you don't see the blurry textures.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Samaritan demo also wasn't spectacular in screenshots. If these pics are from video it explains bad quality.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Samaritan demo also wasn't spectacular in screenshots. If these pics are from video it explains bad quality.

this plus people seem to forget what unmodded doom 3 looked like, and unreal99? give me an f'ing break

yeah you right, that demo looks way worse. you should sue.

Samaritan tech demo doesn't look anything special. Plus they used way too much blur, DoF and other post processing crap.

If you want spectacular, check the ATi Toy Shop tech demo. Very similar scene setup as Samaritan, just designed ages ago for much much weaker gfx card (Radeon X1800). Yet it looks freakin incredible. And frankly i haven't seen many games look that good even today.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Thats how the games should technically be- be able to play on lower machines with less detail and then scale up higher with beefier hardware. Thats how Need For Speed Underground 1 and 2 were- They looked like crap on XB/PS2 n same with the PC less You Pumped the Graphics on the PC with a 9500/Pro, 9600/Pro/XT, 9700/Pro, 9800/Pro/XT which looked superior to Consoles in detail n frame rates. Rage appears to run really good on even a 5770. I mean the XB360 and PS3 are 2006 Graphics hardware n even then the Radeon HD 2000 and GeForce 8 series surpassed that console graphics hardware, so Even the Lower Range Hardware has surpassed the Graphics hardware of the XB360 n PS3 today

I understand what Carmack is saying i paid $85,000 for the privilege to understand what hes saying,

Consoles are the target demographic the PC game suffered because he shifted focus to consoles,

it dosent change the fact he bashed AMD / Nvidia / Microsoft, for there drivers etc causing him problem, and that while they changed direction to consoles he would remain commited to console because it has the largest market share, you can take the candy coating and stuff it. the Truth is what it is, on console the game worked well enough and sold better,

and i am willing to bet Doom 4 wont use TOP PC hardware, those days are long gone, Carmack is not going to bother,

After the Game was fixed and drivers ironed out even a god damn 5770 can max RAGE which uses the same engine Doom 4 is going to use, its not going to magically cripple hardware when it comes out.

I mean COME ON a GT 240 and a 6570 can max RAGE out at 1920x1080 4xAA with High Res Texture Pack.
http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/Y/312550/original/Rage 4aa 1920.png

Carmack will cater to the lowest common denominator aka consoles and scale up,

8xAA 30 fps minimum 50+ avg max settings 1920x1080
http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/Z/312551/original/Rage 8aa 1920.png

now tell me how is anyone going to take the man seriously hes focusing on console, while he might take time on the next title so as to have it actually working and rendering properly on launch dont expect it to cripple hardware because its not going to.

Last edited:
System Name -aLiEn beaTs-
Processor Intel i7 11700kf @ 5.055Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z490 Unify
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.skill Royal Silver 4400 cl17 @ 4403mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980TI AMP!Omega Factory OC 1418MHz
Storage Intel SSD 330, Crucial SSD MX300 & MX500
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144HZ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 USB3.0
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD @ 2.1 Bose acoustimass 5
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850W v2 gold atx 2.52
Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 11 Pro 21h2 64Bit
Benchmark Scores ► ♪♫♪♩♬♫♪♭
so your telling me the typical look and feel is different between the majority

aka

Batman AA / AC
Gears of War
Unreal Tournament
Medal Of Honor Airborne
Medal Of Honor
Bullet Storm
Frontline Fuel of war
Homefront
Mass Effect
Turok
Turning Point Fall of Liberty

they differ yes but in alot of ways they feel the same and not in a good way.

alot of the games characters feel like rehashes, seldom new more of the roid munchers, in most situations, and most of them that are first person tend to have mouse smoothing on, or various mouse issues in terms of input, i know in MoH A you cant fully disable the terrible smoothing, and to lessen the sensitivity results in not being able to move up or down. Theres better game engines then Unreal, and considering epic doesnt seldom change much under the hood i am colored unimpressed, especially when the majority of the games play the same, feel the same, there are a few standout games, but a few standouts dont make an engine great. Im just not impressed by more of the same

very little changed from Unreal 2.5 - 4.0 a few API updates but little else.

essentially from XBOX first gen to now. they have added support for new direct X features but very little in the terms of optimizations or performance improvements, litterally if you grafted on DX11 to Unreal 2.0 / 2.5 you could essentially do everything the engine currently does now, theres not much different.

MoH Airborne

You forgot to mention crappy streaming code. That's the biggest pos in U3E, esp. by games that use physx as physics. That's why i never finished MOH, both Batmans, Alice, GOW, Homefront, Bulletstorm.

I just hope they got this streaming under control in U4E, also i hope it will have the same detailed characters as seen in Samaritan tech demo..

Well these new U4E screens look on average, this demon character looks kinda weak too,

ok it has nice particle effects and dynamic lightning (not prebaked), but still Samaritan looked 10x better, also Real hair and stuff, where is that in this presentation :shadedshu
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/...+wired/index+(Wired:+Index+3+(Top+Stories+2))

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Samaritan tech demo doesn't look anything special. Plus they used way too much blur, DoF and other post processing crap.

If you want spectacular, check the ATi Toy Shop tech demo. Very similar scene setup as Samaritan, just designed ages ago for much much weaker gfx card (Radeon X1800). Yet it looks freakin incredible. And frankly i haven't seen many games look that good even today.

I agree, i don't like the movie-style post processing to be bothering me in games, mucks up all the good texture pixels and other issues I already mentioned such as pre-determined DOF, it has to track eyes to be actually realistic, because now they force you to focus you eyes on what they want, if you don't then you see blur.

I'll check that out.

EDIT: That link i posted quoted on the second page doesn't work .. that's because it's shorthened hotlink quoted and it cuts out in the middle making a 404 error.
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=interactive_achievement_awards20120209

Last edited:
Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64

The only thing it shows is that no matter how good textures are, graphics sucks without post processing or third party stuff like ENB, Icenhancer. : P

------

Last edited: