• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

unusual problem when overclocking quad, X48

Raiasokura

Processor i7 965 extreme edition
Motherboard DFI X58 soon
Cooling Zalman nvidia cnps9700, Thermalright 120 extreme
Memory 6GB triple channel DDR3 soon
Video Card(s) HIS ATI Radeon 4870
Storage Western Digital 74GB Raptor Raid0, WD Caviar 320GB SATA2
Display(s) 24" Samsung, Dell 1708FP Ultrasharp 17"
Case old case
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Corsair HX1000W, TX750
Software Vista Ultimate
unusual problem when overclocking quad on formula rampage

I am currently having some issues when overclocking an QX9650 and keeping the performance stable and for example i put the chip to 3.4ghz and the performance isnt great, when its at 3Ghz it would appear i am getting higher frame rates in some of the tests in 3DMark. this is an unusual problem and the system is underperforming when i try to overclock through the bios i will have to restart, clear the CMOS then press F2 to use the default settings and the performance will be good again.

so it would appear everytime i try to overclock manually from the BIOS the performance is decreased but once i change the settings of timings, voltages and FSB, select manual OC from the Level up the computer automaticly shuts down then reboots and thats when the performance drops. a good example is the chip is clocked at 3.33 Ghz and i will be getting lower frame rates than when its at stock 3Ghz? i ran 3DMark 06 not long back and scored around 18,100 marks at 3.8Ghz, i ran it again at the exact same settings and marked around 17,500. the frame rates were noticably slower so for no apparent reason after reboot the performance became worse. can anyone explain why this is happening

setup:

QX9650
ASUS Rampage Formula
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 800
Radeon 4870

EDIT:

The performance has improved again i reset the cmos have everything at stock (running 3Ghz) and everything seems good again, i then restart and try again 3DMark is running fine again. I then shutdown (havent touched any settings in bios everything left as before) the performance has deteriorated again? temperatures are the same, none of the settings have been changed, i shutdown clear cmos use the default settings and the performance is great again.

is there any explanation why the performance decreases like this?

Last edited:

Raiasokura

Processor i7 965 extreme edition
Motherboard DFI X58 soon
Cooling Zalman nvidia cnps9700, Thermalright 120 extreme
Memory 6GB triple channel DDR3 soon
Video Card(s) HIS ATI Radeon 4870
Storage Western Digital 74GB Raptor Raid0, WD Caviar 320GB SATA2
Display(s) 24" Samsung, Dell 1708FP Ultrasharp 17"
Case old case
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Corsair HX1000W, TX750